Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The folks at the Hour CNY PBS show who hosted me a few months ago have asked me to come back and do another 12-minute segment on board games for the holidays. If you missed the first one, you can see it at http://scottnicholson.com/games/hourcny.html .

(By the way, after watching that, if you have advice for next time, I'd be happy to hear it; I know I'm going to focus on easier descriptions.)

I'm going to plan on a "If someone likes X, then consider Y as a game to give them."

I know from last time that I've got time for about 4 games, and they like the last one to have some type of activity that folks can play in.

I'm thinking about..
"If they like Rummy, they would like Ticket to Ride"

"If they like Harry Potter, they would like Technowitches"

"If they liked Blokus (which was on my last appearance) or like building blocks, then they will like Rumis"

I'm still deciding between Ingenious, Vegas Showdown, Buy Low Sell High, Wits and Wagers, Poison, Samuari, or some of the other great ideas from the list at http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listid=99...

I've realized I need to keep it to games that are very basic; if you saw the last one, it was difficult to get the basics of Niagara across.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Only time for 4 games? hmmm...

It'd be interesting to do a video game turned board game type theme. Doom, Railroad Tycoon, World of Warcraft, and finaly blokus (explaining how it's like Tetris).

I think it's a pretty good idea. First of all it'll catch the attention of the gender/age group that you're aiming for. 2nd, people looking to get gifts for gamers will take note. 3rd, they each cover a different genre from video games (FPS, simulation, adventure/rpg, puzzle). 4th, they would all look very impressive set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, I just watched that for the first time. I was going to check it out for just a second, but I ended up watching the whole thing. You were outstanding. There is no way I could have done that well. you were very enthusiastic, you gave tons of information, and you thought quickly on your feet; very impressive. Just do it like that again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a great segment. I agree that Niagara should have probably stayed at home, and you could have probably brought another game there out of the box in its place, but ending with a dexterity game was a boon for the segment. I actually would NOT go the Video game crossover route, at least not with Doom and other "violent" games on the PBS station, it seems (at least locally, around Houston and Austin) that the violent things (also video games) are scorned on those channels. I would try to throw in Through the Desert on the list, never too young to through Knizia at them. I personally have been looking for a reason to get Vegas Showdown, so bring that one

I would stay away from any more than 1 card game, however, and I would recommend Bohnanza as that one, since it has more of a family appeal to it.

Take the suggestions with a grain of salt, your first clip was great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Scott. I hope you will post this appearance on the web as well - I enjoyed watching your last segment, which I thought was excellent.

Did your stalker problem ever get resolved, or did it just fade away into nothingness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:

"If they liked Blokus (which was on my last appearance) or like building blocks, then they will like Rumis"

I'm still deciding between Ingenious, Vegas Showdown, Buy Low Sell High, Wits and Wagers, Poison, Samuari, or some of the other great ideas from the list at http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listid=99...

I think Rumis, Poison and Samurai are great choices. Perhaps China just explain how to build a house and emissary, then quickly cover house scoring and mention there are a couple other ways to score and leave it at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...ever considered card games like Bang!, Citadels or Colossal Arena ?

Or are they a bit too complex for your segment and the kind of people your trying to attract to the gaming world?

How about memoir '44 ? Could be an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
> Did your stalker problem ever get resolved, or did it just fade away into nothingness?

Actually, the local police traced the e-mails through Yahoo through the local Internet provider to a house about 30 miles from here. They told me that it was a mother and two kids (one being a teenage boy). They were going to go and have a talk with the family, and that's the last I heard of it.

(you can bet this was the first thing I thought about when I got the call to be on again...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you did a great job last time! I like the "if you like x, consider y" approach. Four games is a bit tight, though. I'd consider some of the following (format: if you like ... try):
-chess/othello ... some Gipf series game. Maybe Tamsk (the timer should be fun to demo on TV)?
-Risk or Axis and Allies ... Conquest of the Empire
-video games ... Doom/Descent or World of Warcraft for the FPSs; Runebound for RPGs (violence notwithstanding, these are likely relevant choices for the target audience)
-family games ... Carcassonne, Shadows Over Camelot, Ticket to Ride, That's Life
-Cranium/party games ... Time's Up
-poker ... SOMETHING - I think you should have some game related to poker, given how popular it is now. Taj Mahal would be too difficult to find for most people.
-I think Vegas Showdown is a good game, but not sure how you'd get it into this format.

Alternatively, since this is a holiday show, you might break it down by price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
> video games ... Doom/Descent or World of Warcraft for the FPSs; Runebound for RPGs (violence notwithstanding, these are likely relevant choices for the target audience)

Actually, I was thinking about
"If your kids like video games, they might enjoy Nexus Ops or HeroScape", and have one of them set up. They are both attractive and available locally, and I could explain either one at a basic level quickly.

The other issue is table space. Last time, I tried to put out Ticket to Ride and it took up 2/3s of the demo table. So, Nexus Ops and Heroscape can me made much smaller (and are at a more acceptable price point than the $80 MSRP Descent/WoW).

I was thinking about ending with a round of Wits and Wagers, and having that appeal to both the gambler and the trivia buff, as a way to bring the family together. They like to end on something that the hosts can play along with, so I'm looking at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Powell
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great opportunity, Scott!

Consider saving Technowitches and Poison -- suggest a Halloween edition for next year!

Here're a few suggestions in the form of IYL (= If you like) X TYML (=then you might like) Y...

IYL chess... TYML Hive

IYL Scrabble... TYML BuyWord

IYL Clue... TYML Mystery of the Abbey

IYL Stratego... TYML LOTR: The Confrontation

IYL poker... TYML Gang of Four or Havoc

IYL Monopoly... TYML Acquire or For Sale

Other possibilities...

Jambo: great for 2
Saboteur: appealing theme, fun
Phoenix: colorful and inviting
• Apples to Apples: now widely distributed
• Buy Low Sell High: Motley Fool tie-in

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Jacy
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are trying to make a family connection I suggest:

"If you have family members who like dominos then you'll like Ingenious." Explain how matching colors, and counting things adjacent is good for kids, and those familiar with dominos (perhaps grandparents/parent) would also find the game fun, and it works equally well with 2-4 players. I think that this point is important to stress, that you could play the game with your child, amongst just adults, or a mixed group and still have fun.

"If you like Clue, you'll like Mystery of the Abbey. Instead of asking for specific cards like in clue, you can formulate any question that pertains to the different suspect's attributes." Leave out the fact that there are cards you can collect that do x or y. And just mention there are special cards that also have influence of the game, without going into detail of what that really means.

I think you wanted to tell a little too much about each game in your presentations last time. Quick, simple and make it sound inclusive and fun.

Just my thoughts, I think it's great that you are on TV talking about games.

-jjacy1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McElroy
United States
Beverly
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Congrats on the TV Stint. May I sugest Risk? Easy and now comes in Lord of the Rings, for the LOTR fan and the Year 2,000 and something for the SF fan. Also just plain RISK for the Stratigy fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched that video a few months ago. You did a great job, and picked some great games. Personally, I'd love to see you suggest Samurai if you think it will be successful. It's the closest to the standard euro-games of the ones you mentioned. If you're really just trying to make recommendations, Nexus Ops would be a good one to suggest - like you said, it would be good for the video game fans, or as a replacement for the family Risk games that get old after all those years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Carroll
United States
Garland,
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with games that have flash and appeal.
Quidditch is good for the Harry Potter crossover
Nexus Ops is great for the colored pieces.
Frank's Zoo is simple and great for the kids
War of the Ring or Twilight Imperium is sure to get some teenagers interests (lots of bits) but may take up too much room
Vegas Showdown or maybe Show Manager (everyone loves to gamble or the movies)

And our mutual friend says definitely include something with a "big honking truck"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.