Popular Tags: Contest [+] Radar [+] [View All]
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings, designers!

You are about to participate in an historic event: BGG's first design contest geared specifically towards generating two-player games.

Whether you are here as a participant, a playtester, a voter, or merely a spectator, I sincerely hope that you enjoy the experience. Print-and-play games are a fantastic and economic way to explore design space new and old, and to acquire new games while on a limited budget.

The goal of the 2013 Two-Player Print-and-Play Design Contest is to encourage creativity and innovation in two-player games. Many gamers have a game partner in one form or another, a person with whom they frequently meet and play games. If that describes you, then this contest is for you!

The Rules

This contest will mimic the Solitaire Print-and-Play Contests in that there are NO restrictions on theme, mechanics, components, or art (although I encourage you to not break any copyright laws).

Submission Guidelines

To submit your game to the contest:

1) Create a Work-in-Progress or WIP thread in the Board Game Design forum. (Note: I realize that not everyone will read the rules closely and that some of you will post your WIP in the Design Contest forum. This will not disqualify your submission. However, more people frequent the Design forum versus the Contest forum; you will receive more traffic and feedback if you post in the Design forum.)
2) Create a new Item in the Contest Geeklist, following the example shown in the List.
3) Post a link to your WIP thread in this thread and in the Contest Geeklist in the Item you created.
4) Please keep discussions of specific games in their respective threads, and discussions of the contest or other general topics in this thread.
5) Include, both in the title and the first post of the WIP thread, the state of your design: a) Brainstorming, b) Prototype Generation, c) Playtesting, or d) Completed
6) Include a link to this contest thread in the first post of WIP thread.
7) As the game is developed, put the file link(s) to the game in both the first post of your WIP and in this thread.

NOTE: Your game does not need to be in a Completed phase by the end of the submission deadline in order to qualify. We can judge your game based on the latest prototype. Just send me a GeekMail and I will mark the game as such. Of course, incomplete games are not likely to get voted as highly as finished and polished games. On the other hand, some games are never really "complete," simply abandoned.

Deadlines

Official Start Date: 1 February 2013
Submission Deadline: 30 April 2013, midnight (according to your own timezone, or according to the BGG timezone, whichever comes second)
Voting Deadline: 31 May 2013, 11:59 (BGG timezone)

Voting Procedure

Currently, the plan is to create a voting submission form (I've created several in Google Drive for my job; they're simple and effective.) and post the link in this thread. If I or a sufficient number of voters are dissatisfied with this method or with the form, I am very open to new suggestions. After all, we still have several months to hammer out the procedure!

Prize Support

All GeekGold tipped to this post will be applied to the prize pool. Additionally, I will contribute 10 GG to the prize pot.

Overall:
1st Place: 1/2 of the prize pot
2nd Place: 1/3 of the prize pot
3rd Place: 1/6 of the prize pot

CURRENT PRIZE POT: 720 GG

There are several sub-categories for prizes. All GeekGold tipped to the categories' respective posts below will be given to the winners in the same 1/2, 1/3, 1/6 split. Additionally, I will contribute 5 GG to each prize category.

FAQ as of 19 December 2012

Q. Does the game need to be competitive?
A. Nope. You can make the game competitive, cooperative, semi-cooperative, whatever you like. Just make sure that the game is designed for two players.

Q. Does the game have to support ONLY two players?
A. No. However, it should be designed PRIMARILY for two players. You can, for example, create a two-player game and then add an AI to allow for solitaire play, or allow for ways to include a third or fourth player. But the focus is on games for two players.

Q. Do things such as the rulebook or player aids count towards the maximum number of components for the Small and Medium Game prize categoresi?
A. They do not. Only the pages with components that MUST be printed out in order to play with two players count towards the page limit. Other peripheral pages such as the rules, player aids, third- and fourth-player components, and so forth will not be counted towards the page limit. So feel free to make the rulebook as long as necessary, or create as many player aids as needed.

Q. What happens if there are an insufficient number of game submissions to support the various prize categories?
A. Any category that ends up with 0 submissions will have all the prize support returned to those who contributed. It has not yet been determined how prize support will be handled in any categories which only receive 1 or 2 submissions.

Q. Can I submit a game that I created before the announcement of this contest?
A. Yes, but ONLY if you have not submitted the game to any other contest. The point of the contest is to encourage the creation of awesome two-player games, but if there are two-player games out there that are not getting any love or recognition, perhaps this contest can help shine a spotlight on them. Pre-contest games will only be eligible to win Best Pre-Contest Game; they will not be eligible for the grand prize nor any other sub-categories.

The Entrants!

I will begin compiling the survey for voting this Sunday, the 5th of May. I cannot guarantee I will FINISH it on Sunday, but I would still strongly recommend that all participants have their submissions posted to the final submission list by Sunday afternoon.

Good luck, and remember to have fun!

----------

All right!

After weeks, some might say days of struggle, the voting form is ready.

Go here to vote for the best games in the contest!

The form also allows participants to leave anonymous feedback for each game that I will pass on to each designer.

Thank you to all the designers and participants!

----------

And the votes are in!

Best Overall Game

1st Place: Kronocell, by Petar Ivancek, with 6 votes

2nd Place: Zeppelin Strike, by Jessey Wright, with 5 votes

3rd Place: Hexa Sea, by David “Ideatomik” Abe, with 4 votes

Best Art/Graphic Design

1st Place: Kronocell, by Petar Ivancek, with 16 votes

2nd Place: The Magical World of Disney Epic Card Game, by James C. O’Connor, with 5 votes

3rd Place: Hexa Sea, by David “Ideatomik” Abe; Mage Clash, by Todd Sanders; and Zeppelin Strike, by Jessey Wright, with 4 votes

Most Colorblind-Friendly Game

1st Place: Stepping Stones, by Henry Flower, with 6 votes

2nd Place: The Cottonwood Contest, by Carol LaGrow, with 5 votes

3rd Place: Island Emergency, by Roxanne Clark; Mage Clash, by Todd Sanders; and Solo Dungeon Crawl, by Eli Silver, with 4 votes

Best Cooperative Game

1st Place: The Bomb Squad, by Dan Kelter and David Short, with 19 votes

2nd Place: Ride the Rail, by David Thompson, with 18 votes

3rd Place: Boss Raid, by Jessey Wright and Tyraziel, with 10

Best Dexterity Game

1st Place: Zeppelin Strike, by Jessey Wright, with 45 votes

2nd Place: Chuck Norris, with 2 fists

3rd Place: Pat Buchanan, with 3,407 Palm Beach County votes

Best Fantasy-Themed Game

1st Place: Mage Clash, by Todd Sanders, with 9 votes

2nd Place: The Salem Conspiracy, by Javier Martin, with 8 votes

3rd Place: The Magical World of Disney Epic Card Game, by James C. O’Connor, with 7 votes

Best Science Fiction-Themed Game

1st Place: Kronocell, by Petar Ivancek, with 20 votes

2nd Place: Zeppelin Strike, by Jessey Wright, with 10 votes

3rd Place: Insurgence, by Mads Brynnum, with 9 votes

Best Small Game

1st Place: Stop the Germs!, by Jeremy Peet, with 9 votes

2nd Place: The Salem Conspiracy, by Javier Martin, with 6 votes

3rd Place: Hermit Crab Havoc, by Roxanne Clark, with 5 votes

Best Medium Game

1st Place: Ride the Rail, by David Thompson, with 9 votes

2nd Place: Elements: A Game of Alchemy, by Tony Miller; and The Cottonwood Contest, by Carol LaGrow, with 6 votes

3rd Place: Island Emergency, Roxanne Clark, with 5 votes

Best Large Game

1st Place: Kronocell, by Petar Ivancek, with 8 votes

2nd Place: OSIRIS! A Romance in Six Parts, by Mike MacDee, with 7 votes

3rd Place: The Magical World of Disney Epic Card Game, by James C. O’Connor, with 6 votes

Best New Mechanic

1st Place: Kronocell, by Petar Ivancek, with 8 votes

2nd Place: Hexa Sea, by David “Ideatomik” Abe, with 4 votes

3rd Place: The Magical World of Disney Epic Card Game, by James C. O’Connor, with 3 votes

Most Original Theme

1st Place: Hermit Crab Havoc, by Roxanne Clark, with 9 votes

2nd Place: Street Food Fighter, by John Buenavides; The Bomb Squad, by Dan Kelter and David Short; and Zeppelin Strike, by Jessey Wright, with 7 votes

3rd Place: OSIRIS! A Romance in Six Parts, by Mike MacDee, with 4 votes

Best Pre-Contest Game

1st Place: Skirmish Tactics Apocalypse, by David Thompson, with 18 votes

2nd Place: Wizard Dodgeball, by Peter Newland, with 5 votes

3rd Place: 8Bit Flashback: Super Mario Bros 3, by Alexandre Grenier, with 4 votes

Best-Written Rules

1st Place: Ride the Rail, by David Thompson, with 6 votes

2nd Place: Kronocell, by Petar Ivancek, with 5 votes

3rd Place: The Cottonwood Contest, by Carol LaGrow; and The Salem Conspiracy, by Javier Martin, with 4 votes

Best Traditional/Tarot/Decktet Game

1st Place: The Salem Conspiracy, by Javier Martin, with 18 votes

2nd Place: Ruta, by Gene Moore, with 11 votes

3rd Place: Fog of War, by David Perry, with 5 votes

Best Language-Independent Game

1st Place: Stepping Stones, by Henry Flower, with 8 votes

2nd Place: Rock-Paper-Scissors: The Board Game, by Gordon “Gordonald” Levasseur; And Ruta, by Gene Moore, with 4 votes

3rd Place: Duel at Dawn, by Kai Bettzieche; End-Around, by Henry Flower; Fog of War, by David Perry; Hermit Crab Havoc, by Roxanne Clark; Insurgence, by Mads Brynnum; and The Cottonwood Contest, by Carol LaGrow, with 3 votes

Best Wargame

1st Place: Kronocell, by Petar Ivancek; and Zeppelin Strike, by Jessey Wright, with 7 votes

2nd Place: Hexa Sea, by David “Ideatomik” Abe; and Six-Gun: The Cowboy Action Game, by Sam Smith, with 5 votes

3rd Place: A Fair Battleground, by Paolo Pellegri; and Shattered Olympus, by Hans Otto, with 3 votes

And last but not least:

Best New Designer

1st Place: Sarah (and Will) Reed, with Dragon’s Dinner, Fairy Mall, and Mission Critical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Science Fiction-Themed Game

Tips to this post will be applied to the winners of this category in a 1/2, 1/3, 1/6 split.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Fantasy-Themed Game

Tips to this post will be applied to the winners of this category in a 1/2, 1/3, 1/6 split.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Small Game

To clarify, a small game will be any game that requires 3 pages of components or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Large Game

To clarify, a large game will be any game that requires 9+ pages of components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Medium Game

To clarify, a medium game will be any game that requires 4-8 pages of components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best New Mechanic

To clarify, any game that uses a mechanic that you, personally, had not seen prior to this contest can be voted for best new mechanic. (Yes, this means that designers CAN use mechanics they have seen elsewhere; if I have never seen it before, though, than it's new to me. The point is to encourage innovation and creativity.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Art/Graphic Design

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Wargame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Dexterity Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Cooperative Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Most Original Theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Traditional/Decktet/Tarot Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Pre-Contest Game

To clarify, any game whose development began prior to the announcement of this contest will be considered a pre-contest game. Pre-contest games will not be eligible to win the overall contest nor any other sub-categories besides Best Pre-Contest Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Language-Independent Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Most Colorblind-Friendly Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Written Rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we do a Best Dexterity Game?
I'll toss 100 GG into the pot for that one.

(see above!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
I'll toss 100 GG into the pot for that one. (Tip here to add more to the pot for this one)

Absolutely. I'm very open to additional category suggestions. That's why I reserved so many posts. I'll add an official post for dexterity games above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
I'll toss 100 GG into the pot for that one. (Tip here to add more to the pot for this one)

*resist temptation*

But yes, lets have that. I'll throw 10 GG at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any other prize categories people would like to see added? I've got plenty of reservations left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Any other prize categories people would like to see added? I've got plenty of reservations left.

I can think of a couple of categories that it may be interesting to design games for - the first that comes to mind is "educational" or "getting across a particular idea" or something similar - but might it be a better idea to see what the uptake of the contest is like before going crazy? Design contests have a bit of an eclectic response, some have too many entries to realistically playtest them all while others have barely any, and it would seem silly to have come up with a hundred categories and only get three or four entries!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

I can think of a couple of categories that it may be interesting to design games for - the first that comes to mind is "educational" or "getting across a particular idea" or something similar - but might it be a better idea to see what the uptake of the contest is like before going crazy? Design contests have a bit of an eclectic response, some have too many entries to realistically playtest them all while others have barely any, and it would seem silly to have come up with a hundred categories and only get three or four entries!

Indeed. But I also don't want anyone to feel that their pet genre or mechanic is being left out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best coop-game? (Including semi-coop etc...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
Best coop-game? (Including semi-coop etc...)

Good call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.