Duell» Forums » Rules

Subject: Drawing the last card after retreating rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Katie Harris
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
We use the Advanced rules from En Garde. I was hoping someone could help answer a question that came up in our last game…

The pawns were 6 spaces apart, at the end of the board where my pawn started.
My husband did an Advance and Attack.
His advance card was a 4, which put him 2 spaces away from me.
His attack card was a 2.
He then drew 2 cards to replenish the ones he’d played, which left only 1 card in the pack.
I did not have a 2 to defend against his attack.
I played a 1 to retreat and moved my pawn one space backward.
At this point, our pawns were 3 spaces apart.
I then drew the last card to replace the one I played. This card happened to be a 3.
My husband did not have a 3 card in his hand.

Okay, so here’s our question:
Do we consider the cards in our hands to see who won?

We know that if my husband had drawn the last card then he would win because I would be forced to retreat after the last card was taken (and he had moved farther along the board).

However, in this case I actually retreated BEFORE the last card was drawn.
Does he still win, or do I win because I have a 3 and he does not?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might know the answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Romano
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cktjharris wrote:
However, in this case I actually retreated BEFORE the last card was drawn.
Does he still win, or do I win because I have a 3 and he does not?

I believe that generally, after the last move has been made, one final attack can be made by both players simultaneously. The winner of this attack (and therefore the winner of the round) is the player who has the most attack cards in his/her hand.

However, this only applies if the last move was not a retreat. (Apparently, retreating on the last move makes it impossible to have a final simultaneous attack.)

I found this answer at http://freespace.virgin.net/chris.lawson/rk/engarde/rules.ht... which states:

Quote:
If the defender parries the advance and attack, then it is handled as in the standard game but if the defender retreats, then the winner is determined only by which figure has moved furthest down the board.

I hope this helps, Katie!

-- Jean-Luc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Harris
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Yes, thanks, Jean-Luc!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the use for this rule?? Why not play as usual (the defender retreats backwards, and draws the final card, and you then compare who are able to make the most attacks)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand. What's the complication here? The rules are straightforward.

As soon as ANYONE draws the last card -- GAME OVER.

You ignore the cards you are holding in your hand and simply look at the board position. Whoever is farthest from their starting position WINS. If both players are equidistant from their home space, it's a DRAW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.