3 Posts

Caledea: The Epic Strategy Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Caledea: A Wonderfully Simple Strategy Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
Caledea is a wonderfully simple strategy game that evokes a sense of epic history-in-the-making while still being incredibly simple to learn and fast to play. The game is fun even for those who have never played a strategy game before. Gameplay takes place on an abstract yet beautifully drawn checker-board. Each space contains two resources; players must chose a civilization and follow the resources associated with that civilization, building farms, towers, and castles, and recruiting armies and cavalry along the way.

Caledea
plays like a mixture of the classic Risk board game mixed with epic strategy computer games like Age of Empires or Sid Meier's Civilization. Because there are multiple paths to victory, players may find themselves aggressively conquering foreign nations, forming brief allegiances to attack a common threat, developing no-fire land treaties to preserve important farmland, or simply walling themselves off from the rest of the world and defending their own lands tooth and nail. It is a game of war, economics, and politics, condensed down to their simplest and most entertaining forms.

The game comes with four different sets of game pieces and two game boards. However, any amount of boards can be used because of the simple checkerboard pattern. Play with multiple boards joined together, add pieces from another board game, and set up a six player or eight player team-game. The more players added, the more interesting the gameplay will get. The simplicity of the rules allows for the actual decisions made on each turn to be easy to understand, yet the implications can be wide-reaching. Every player has their own style of play and their own path to victory. Each game will play completely different.

Caledea is an amazing strategy game that blends the long-term planning of a strategy game with the simple fun of a casual game. It is sure to appeal to all board game fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I really like this game, and it works well both with small and with large realms. I bought two copies initially and am glad I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
If only I had more friends that were interested in Board Games... I would love to put four boards together and have every kingdom card in play at once!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.