Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Gordish
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HeroQuest was my favorite game during my teenage years. Please sign my petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/hasbro-and-games-workshop-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will it still be 'as good' now or are you after it for nostalgic reasons?

I mean I really enjoyed Trouble 25+ years ago but there are a lot of games that I want to get now before that one - even if I still like poppin' it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still pretty good. I played it with my son a few years back. It could use a little bit of polish, but by and large it still stands up very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Heroquest and all the expansions (Advanced Heroquest too but that's not overly relevant), I think you have a lot of nostalgia coloring your memory. It was a great game for its time but there are quite a few modern Dungeon Crawlers that scratch the same itch and are better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Schneider
Germany
Kamen / Unna
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A 25th Anniversary Edition would be awesome ... maybe "Heroquest Evolution" even. *dream*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Howell
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Internet petitions are kinda silly in my book, but I'll go ahead and sign this. I'd love to see HeroQuest come back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grady
United States
Oak Ridge
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just a Heroquest expansion for Descent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marnick Sluismans
Germany
flag msg tools
tallboy wrote:
Will it still be 'as good' now or are you after it for nostalgic reasons?

I mean I really enjoyed Trouble 25+ years ago but there are a lot of games that I want to get now before that one - even if I still like poppin' it now.

Registered to give my thoughts on this one.

I tried playing Descent and HeroScape, but neither really did it for me. Few months ago I'd have said its the nostalgia factor but not anymore.

Someone gave me his copy as a marriage gift and that's when I learned the answer to this question. That friend played it with me, my wife and my brother. My wife is not a hardcore board gamer. However, within minutes, she had learned the rules. By the end of the first game, she understood how to (ab)use those for RP reasons (blocking passages for treasure, having another player killed).

The rules of HeroQuest are short, simple yet give a decent amount of depth. Other games like Descent become entangled in rules lawyering, exceptions and specifics. HeroQuest has 10 short pages of rules, which the reader can explain in 5 minutes to a complete newbie. That should be the goal of any game yet many lack exactly that.

HeroQuest, in that regard, easily stands up to modern dungeon crawlers and RPGs. People want a new print, simply because it's a good game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Hyyryläinen
Finland
Kotka
flag msg tools
mb
I also like HeroQuest and it would be really nice to see a new edition of this with perhaps some new cool stuff. I agree above that one strenght of HQ is the simplicity of the rules. I remember also how easy it was to modify rules and make custom monsters etc. Also you could make your own scenarios under an hour. Finally I did like the rpg/boardgame hybrid feel of the game where GM was more like rpg GM and not like serious opponent in the game.

I haven't seen a dungeon crawler with similar virtues, please tell me if there is one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
there is one already on the works
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1039647/heroquest-25th-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.