Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone in Germany wanted my 1830 game. Originally, I didn't want to ship outside of the US because of my ignorance, but I said I'd check into it.

From my brief checking, it seems like shipping by the US Postal Service is the way to go (probably under $20). Either Global Priority Mail (I don't know if it qualifies) or International Parcel Post. I checked UPS, FedEX, and DHL and they all wanted $50-$100.

Am I missing better shipping methods?

Does anyone know if the USPS offers tracking information for international shipments?

Does anyone know what kind of customs forms I need to fill out?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff Wu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes I usually ship USPS. I have shipped to Canada, Australia, Germany and the UK. I have had 1 package lost to the UK. If someone sees a copy of Goldbrau floating around the Atlantic it's mine.
Be sure and remember to put a packing slip inside the box in case the outside becomes unreadable they can open and find out where to ship it. All the forms you need are in the little kiosks at the post office that you stand by on the way to the counter. ask your buyer about taxes and how to mark the box ie. gift vs goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have any advice on larger parcels? What about shipping 8-10 games at a time? (assume medium-sized & weighted games) Is USPS the way to go? And are there standard box sizes I must use, or are the prices priced on weight alone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
Yes, if you can get the package under 4 pounds, Surface letter post will cost about $10 (but be slow), and Airmail letter post will be about $20. Don't be fooled by the name--you can ship packages by letter post, but you generally have to go to a "real" post office to ship by this method.

-Daniel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Your 20 dollars shipping sound about right. I also recommend to write a value of under 25 dollar for the game, otherwise your European buyer might have to pay taxes over a second hand item and the shipping (which I think is crazy), and boy do I know European taxeszombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
When I buy from the US thru a Game Store they send me the goods USPS Airmail. It cost me usually 20 - 30 $ (for 2 to 3 normal games - f. e. Avalon Hill Box Games, regular size) and they arrive usually within 4 - 6 days. Fast speed and pricing are therefore ok for me.

One note about custom forms:

Gifts have to be under 40 $ but will (my experience) always be opened - THEY don't trust you. You can
a) put a price under 45 $ (INCLUDING shipment!!!) on the tab and note "used board game" on the papers.
b) Or you write down the real price and the customer has to pay the fee when picking up the goodies. I would advice the second.
Because when customs office takes over, the buyer has to show the papers (usually the invoice from the seller AND a receipt from PayPal (for example) or your Bank). Both, invoice and receipt, have to show the same amount.

And, frankly, I order a lot of Games from the states. And the customs fee is not so high. If I am willing to pay 100 € for games I can afford 10 - 15 € for tax. IMHO.

At last: My experience with the customs office is, that if you have the papers and be honest, it is easy to deal with them (unless you order a specific wargamelaugh )And you have no problems at all. It is more difficult to have wrong or no papers and then have to explain why your PayPal receipt is so much different then the declaration of the seller. Or, even better, why you invoice says: 30 $ on the box and 100 $ on a piece of paper inside the package.

Mail me if you need more special answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
When I buy from the US thru a Game Store they send me the goods USPS Airmail. It cost me usually 20 - 30 $ (for 2 to 3 normal games - f. e. Avalon Hill Box Games, regular size) and they arrive usually within 4 - 6 days.

Lucky you! It takes up to 20 days to reach Greece... snore

Alphawolf wrote:
And the customs fee is not so high. If I am willing to pay 100 € for games I can afford 10 - 15 € for tax.

Lucky you, again! It is not uncommon to pay taxes in Greece up to 2x the original value of the games ordered... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.