Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Placing replacements behind enemy lines rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can replacements be placed in an empty home city that is in an enemy zone of control? I had assumed no, but upon rereading the replacements section I don't see this as a restriction.

Can replacements be placed in a home city hex if they would immediately by OOS upon placement? Again, I don't see a restriction against this, though I assumed it was there.

An example to illustrate these points: playing the Barbarossa scenario, as Germany I captured Minsk and then on a subsequent turn moved all units out of Minsk and close to the front. Minsk is currently in a German ZOC. Can the Soviets place a unit in Minsk as a replacement? Does it matter that the Soviet unit placed there wouldn't have a legal supply line?

Based on my latest reading of the rule it looks like yes, the Soviets can place a unit there. This is somewhat counterintuitive to me, but I was making assumptions from other games of similar scope and scale that aren't necessarily valid. It's certainly a major blow to the German advance to have a unit pop up in the rear and cut their rail lines! But that's why we play the training scenarios.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
Avatar
Microbadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Weightlifting fanMicrobadge: Bacon loverMicrobadge: The answer to Life, the Universe and Everything
SabreRedleg wrote:
Can replacements be placed in an empty home city that is in an enemy zone of control?
Yes.

Quote:
Can replacements be placed in a home city hex if they would immediately by OOS upon placement?
Well, yes -- it wouldn't be out of supply: Home Country cities *are* the supply sources.

Quote:
...as Germany I captured Minsk and then on a subsequent turn moved all units out of Minsk and close to the front.
Don't do that.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only just played the Barbarossa training scenario too, but this is my understanding;

Per 1.3.4 the replacement can be placed in any Home Country City hex that does not contain an enemy ground unit, support unit, detachment or logistics marker.

So yes, you can place a replacement in a home city hex "behind enemy lines".

It is important to garrison those city hexes!

Further, that unit would NOT be out of supply, becuase per 10.1 any Home Country City hex is a supply source for any counter belonging to that country.

Dan

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chee wrote:
I've only just played the Barbarossa training scenario too, but this is my understanding;

Dan

Fortunately the guy playing the Axis in that game discussed the rule with you before vacating Minsk..... whistle

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreRedleg wrote:

Based on my latest reading of the rule it looks like yes, the Soviets can place a unit there. This is somewhat counterintuitive to me, but I was making assumptions from other games of similar scope and scale that aren't necessarily valid. It's certainly a major blow to the German advance to have a unit pop up in the rear and cut their rail lines! But that's why we play the training scenarios.
It is counteriintuitve but a fairly elegant way to force the Axis to put folks on garrison duty. It really starts to take steam out of their onslaught as they capture more cities.

Also, IIRC, there is an table result that allows the Russiians to remove a minor from the map. Be careful when using the Hungarians or Rumanians on garrison duty.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
SabreRedleg wrote:

Based on my latest reading of the rule it looks like yes, the Soviets can place a unit there. This is somewhat counterintuitive to me, but I was making assumptions from other games of similar scope and scale that aren't necessarily valid. It's certainly a major blow to the German advance to have a unit pop up in the rear and cut their rail lines! But that's why we play the training scenarios.
It is counteriintuitve but a fairly elegant way to force the Axis to put folks on garrison duty. It really starts to take steam out of their onslaught as they capture more cities.

Also, IIRC, there is an table result that allows the Russians to remove a minor from the map. Be careful when using the Hungarians or Rumanians on garrison duty.
In one game (of the old edition) I had a full fledged revolt in the rear when an Western Allied table roll got the axis minor loses a step, and a Rumanian 1 step garrison of a Soviet city went poof! The Soviets then dropped 3 steps in the space (2 Infantry and an Armor,) which then crushed a nearby axis minor garrison in another city. Then lend lease troops at the end of the Soviet turn also went to the rebellion.

The Germans had to redeploy reinforcements the next turn to stop the rebellion. It threw off their entire season's offensive.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:


It is counteriintuitve but a fairly elegant way to force the Axis to put folks on garrison duty. It really starts to take steam out of their onslaught as they capture more cities.
I really like this rule. I've been tempted to try to adopt it to WIF...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls