Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ann De Haes
Netherlands
Doorwerth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 girls and Memoir '44. What has happened to the world. In the everlasting quest to a good 2 person game, we could not get past Memoir '44 anymore. I know, we checked all the geeklists for games your wife will like, but my wife, she does like a lot of games, and even though it's not on the '2 player games your SO will like'-lists, I persuaded her to buy the game. It's one of the highest rated 2 player games after all. But she was/is afraid of wargames. So I told her it's a very light one. And historicly correct (aren't they all?).

Last week, I finally got the game, and the previous weekend, we started to play it. Just short games, one side of the first scenario, which I always won, even playing the German side both times. I did not dare to suggest to change sides, since I read that the Allies were a bit better most of the time. But this afternoon, we settled for a 'normal' game, i.e. switching sides, and collecting the most medals.

I started out as the Allies, and I thought that it would be wise to be aggressive. After all, I had a lot more man to do that. I just moved forward on all flanks and the centre, but taking care of leaving at least a few retreat spots. Which I did need. I removed the barbed wire as soon as possible, loosing a unit in the process. Ageeth did not use the towns where the Germans could hide and shoot me to death slowly to their fullest extent, and the bridge over the Orne was not to difficult to posess. Had a few units there to back me up. Rather quick, I got the 4 medals, and she only got one.

Switch sides. German again. I knew I could do it, but Ageeth learned something too. She had the air-attack card, and used it in the beginning of the scenario. I did have some troups together at that time, and she really did well with her dice. Killing 2 people of 2 groups, and forcing one to retreat. Which I was about to do, but then I remembered that I would loose the sandbag, and I'd rather lost a man. I have been happy with that decision. I had to defend the bridge over the Orne with all my might, but my German forces in the small bushes were very good to kill off the English troups very slowly. I placed myself on the bridge and was near the end forced to retreat. If Ageeth had the card which allowed her to move at both flanks, she would've won the scenario (not the game, since I already had 3 medals), then she could've moved in and collect the medals of the 2 bridges. Unfortunaltely, she could not, and she lost the game the next round, when I had 2 units fire at one her remaining Allies, who consisted of one soldier. No match in a close assault. I won (4-2), so I won the whole game (8-3).

I don't think she wants to play again tonight. And I think she's going to use this against me soon, saying I'm the man in our marriage devil

We still have some difficulties with line of sight, and declaring what our units are going to do. First we do all movements, and then we say which unit is going to attack where. We declare all activities before carrying them out, since we think it is fairer. Otherwise you can watch the result of your battle and react immediately to it. I don't know if that's OK...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.