Zhe Leng
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As title.

It's an absurd situation, but the interesting part is that it's the difference between life and death in our current game.

Didn't find this conversion mentioned in the rule, and assume it cannot be
done. But it is also a little bit counter intuitive: infantry can be converted into fortress but the inverse does not work?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can a 2-step fortress be converted back to a 1-step infantry?
Fortresses cannot be broken down.
To remind you of that they have small rectangles instead of dots in their upper right corner.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhe Leng
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can a 2-step fortress be converted back to a 1-step infantry?
Stephan Valkyser wrote:
Fortresses cannot be broken down.
To remind you of that they have small rectangles instead of dots in their upper right corner.
I understand they cannot be broken down. But since 1-step inf can be converted into 2-step fortress, somehow I feel the inverse may work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: GrognardMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Defcon StatusMicrobadge: Herculean Image UploaderMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Games
Re: Can a 2-step fortress be converted back to a 1-step infantry?
rule 2.3.4: under Emergency Breakdown specifies that if a fortress unit is forced to breakdown it is eliminated.

and...

rule 2.3.4.2: under Breakdown Restrictions specifies that a fortress unit cannot voluntarily breakdown.

+++

so no it cannot... the only fortress units that can convert back into an infantry/armor unit are the port-a-fort units.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhe Leng
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can a 2-step fortress be converted back to a 1-step infantry?
kubaman wrote:
rule 2.3.4: under Emergency Breakdown specifies that if a fortress unit is forced to breakdown it is eliminated.

and...

rule 2.3.4.2: under Breakdown Restrictions specifies that a fortress unit cannot voluntarily breakdown.

+++

so no it cannot... the only fortress units that can convert back into an infantry/armor unit are the port-a-fort units.
Yes, I saw those rules. And I'm not thinking converting that 2-step fortress into two 1-step infantry. What I mean is whether a 2-step fortress can be converted into ONE 1-step infantry.

And it is not an emergency breakdown. I have an unoccupied home city with a harbor that is in EZOC. If I can convert that fortress, I can ship that 1-step into that city and resume my supply line. It's a rare case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lengzhe wrote:

Yes, I saw those rules. And I'm not thinking converting that 2-step fortress into two 1-step infantry. What I mean is whether a 2-step fortress can be converted into ONE 1-step infantry.

And it is not an emergency breakdown. I have an unoccupied home city with a harbor that is in EZOC. If I can convert that fortress, I can ship that 1-step into that city and resume my supply line. It's a rare case.
You cannot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you note, there is no provision for a fortress to convert back to a one-step infantry unit in the conversion rules. There is no change to this in the errata. So no, it cannot be done.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhe Leng
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the reply.

As Stalin is quite angry about what happened, I have to seek political asylum in Germany and help command the Nazi force to conquer western Europe (what do you mean by "space time continuum"?).

Onto the next scenario.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls