James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook, page 7.

"Sections of track are denoted by separations between Track tiles and between cities and towns."

That seems self-explanatory, but the example that shows scoring between Evansville and Cincinnati is confusing me. I think that maybe it's just a coincidence, but each example of "One victory point" is pointing to track that is in between a town/city and a player disc.

If track was built from Evansville, SE, NE, NE, N to Cincinnati (three hex tiles running along the river) would that section be worth three points? Aside from showing ownership, do the player discs have anything to do with scoring?

(Sorry if this is a dumb question. I haven't played the game yet, but I've been studying the rules in preparation for our first AoS session.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The palyer marker disks have nothing to do with scoring (in fact we usually pick thme up as we count up track scores to prevent duplication). Each link consistes a an unbranching run of track directly connecting one town/city with another town/city (obviously unbranching as there are no turnouts or wyes in the track set) The link scores the number of green track hexs along its length, including spurs out of towns. In teh highly unlikely event that a link loops back over itself using a crossover hex then that hex does count twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. It makes sense to me now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
James, I'm not quite sure whether Mark answered your question about scoring track in Age of Steam. Let's go to a picture to make the example clear:

In this image, look at the track that connects the white 1 city with the black 1 city. The track consists of two links, both owned by purple, with a town marking the dividing point between the links. (If the town wasn't there, the track would count as only one link.)

When you score points for the track, you score one point for each complete hex or partial hex in a particular link. So the link in the lower-right hand corner scores two points: one for the hex and one for the spur into the town. The link from the town to the white 1 city scores three points: one for the spur out of the town and two for the two hexes. Total for purple: five points on these four hexes.

The towns are important because they create multiple links (which boosts your income when you ship goods), but they also score you two points for track at game's end, assuming you own both spurs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And just to point out the obvious....urbanization can be a way to dink someone in points just a bit, particulary late in the game. Say your opponent has 3 links completed that feed out of a particular town. If you urbanize that town...it costs them 3 points when links are tallied at the game end. That's like forcing them to issue another share (points-wise). As long as you aren't handing them a great shipping opportunity, this may be a good use of a role in a late turn.

I'm not advocating ruthless cut-throat play.

OK, yes I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Luck
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first game of AoS this weekend. And this was one of the rules we got wrong - we scored one VP per link - thanks for all your input. One last clarification: Do you only score completed track? Plunking down a 4-spoke town as a last play seems like a way buy VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Teplin
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yes, only completed tracks are scored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
And just to point out the obvious....urbanization can be a way to dink someone in points just a bit, particulary late in the game. Say your opponent has 3 links completed that feed out of a particular town. If you urbanize that town...it costs them 3 points when links are tallied at the game end. That's like forcing them to issue another share (points-wise). As long as you aren't handing them a great shipping opportunity, this may be a good use of a role in a late turn.

I'm not advocating ruthless cut-throat play.

OK, yes I am.

It's even better if it breaks up some long runs by inserting a city of the color of the cubes that he is planning to deliver. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.