Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin B
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that in a lot of our games, especially 3-4 player, the player who has a long destination ticket in the east usually wins.

A few possible reasons for this.
1. Lots of 4 train routes lead to big points
2. Less populated, less obstruction by other players
3. Longer routes, mean better chance to nab the longest train at the end of the game.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is the game unbalanced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I play mostly two-player and haven't encountered this problem, but as you suggest, perhaps it only comes to light in a more crowded game. If you really think this is an issue, perhaps you should grab two green cards early and claim Kharkov to Rostov to thwart the holder of the Erzurum-Kobenhavn ticket. Either that, or choose your tickets at the beginning of the game with this bias in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Weaver
Greece
Lefkas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the main "east problem" occurs in a 3 player game. All routes are classed as single routes with 3 players, which can make the west side of the board difficult as all the double routes are now singles. When you move to a 5 player game there is a lot more contention over the eastern routes as they are mostly single track.
My experience is that the worst parts of the routes to get bogged down in are all the tunnel toutes in the centre of the board, potentially more expensive and low scoring.
There is, of course no complusion to keep your longest route and we have had a number of games where this has been a successful tactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.