Popular Tags: [View All]
M M
United States
Montara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Another horrid review of board games in the SF Chronicle.
At least the writer got SimplyFun's Walk the Dogs in there.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/12/11/PKGU...

--mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is so sad shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am right now in SF for a conference and I was excited to see the article title on the cover only to be very disappointed when I turned the pages to see the actual thing... Oh well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Montara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bluepigeon wrote:
I am right now in SF for a conference...

Off topic, but... ASCB?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Man...that IS sad. I wrote him an email telling him he reminded me of someone writing about food when all they've ever eaten were hamburgers. I gave him the URL to the geek and mentioned the fact that there are american companies producing euros and if he's going to write about board games he should be a little more "well read."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Ochs
United States
Jackson
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Rendon
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sent this guy a letter the last two years telling him about BGG and Euro games. Never got a response. I offered to be a resource. No reply. I invited him to speak to other people in the industry and provided contact info. Zip. I even suggested a local angle by telling him about Days of Wonder and their success and awards. Nada.

This year I sent the editor of the entertainment section an e-mail--more than a month ago--full of suggestions, recommendations and a resource list. Goose eggs.

The Upton Sinclair of board games he ain't.

j.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NickBottom wrote:
I've sent this guy a letter the last two years telling him about BGG and Euro games. Never got a response. I offered to be a resource. No reply. I invited him to speak to other people in the industry and provided contact info. Zip. I even suggested a local angle by telling him about Days of Wonder and their success and awards. Nada.

Just a note, I think the Chron changed the guy for the Xmas board game article from the movie review guy (Mick LaSalle) to the video game review guy (Peter Hartlaub) last year.

It probably isn't the same guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loonling wrote:
bluepigeon wrote:
I am right now in SF for a conference...

Off topic, but... ASCB?

YES! the agony... late poster L24 on wednesday (1:30-3pm) if anyone is interested and can get in (at the mascone center, of course) NOTHING about board games, so noooooooo fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Montara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bluepigeon wrote:
YES! the agony... late poster L24 on wednesday (1:30-3pm) if anyone is interested and can get in (at the mascone center, of course) NOTHING about board games, so noooooooo fun

My company is there. If I can get away from the office, I plan on stopping by the booth today. I'm a techy, not in sales or marketing, so I'm just going for the spectacle and to meet and greet with a few of our customers.
--mike

edit: removed company name to protect the innocent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before roasting him too badly, bear in mind that most of the games listed were classic non-threatening party-type games without any real strategic or tactical elements at all. I mean really, he mentions Trivial Pursuit and Balderdash in the lead-in as being prototypical boardgames. There is no mention even of the rather popular Scrabble. So even Settlers might have been out of place on the list.

Don't worry, though, you can still cast aspersions if you like. I'd start with the suspicious fact that only a handful of manufacturers were even represented at all on his list. Probably they were the only ones who sent him free demo copies, and so probably the only games he knows about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pool
United States
Carmel Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you catch the quote about Walk The Dogs?
Quote:
Mostly a game for kids, but stoned adults will like it, too.

Thanks to the SF Cron, Simply Fun is really reaching their demographic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Rendon
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
NickBottom wrote:

Just a note, I think the Chron changed the guy for the Xmas board game article from the movie review guy (Mick LaSalle) to the video game review guy (Peter Hartlaub) last year.

It probably isn't the same guy.

It is. I checked my previous emails.
j.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Rendon
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cfarrell wrote:
Before roasting him too badly, bear in mind that most of the games listed were classic non-threatening party-type games without any real strategic or tactical elements at all. I mean really, he mentions Trivial Pursuit and Balderdash in the lead-in as being prototypical boardgames. There is no mention even of the rather popular Scrabble. So even Settlers might have been out of place on the list.

Don't worry, though, you can still cast aspersions if you like. I'd start with the suspicious fact that only a handful of manufacturers were even represented at all on his list. Probably they were the only ones who sent him free demo copies, and so probably the only games he knows about.

Point taken, but I guess my beef is that the guy didn't write an article that incorporated a wider variety of games--including games like Settlers, or perhaps even better, something along the lines of Ticket to Ride, which would even provide him a local angle.

As for his selection method, someone who used to work at Gamescape in SF told me he just calls them and tells them to send them some games, so there's your unbiased filter mechanism.

But, for me at least, the most troublesome fact was the number of the "board games" he reviewed that involved the use of a TV. Surely, we can all agree that this is a sign that the end times are upon us.

j.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.