Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I have stopped writing up HoTS session reports as I don't generally have much new to say about them. However the game I watched tonight was weird enough I just have to.

April and Jeff are married. Now April claims that she is a light type gamer, however, we recently played twilight imperium 2nd ed, and she enjoyed that. She has also played Magic Realm, and had an ok time. So she no longer allowed to be called a casual gamer. So Jeff decided to teach her Hammer.

The learning went as normal. April took the Scots, Jeff the English. We were useing the Shiltroms rules to give the Scotts some extra punch. The learning went as usual. Some skirmishing up north. A few wintering errors, but nothing major. By year 3 the Scots had some good momentum going. The english were still hunting the Bruce.

Around then things started to swing heavily in favor of the Scots. The english never had a power hand. Early winter came one year. The scots were recruiting like crazy. Wallice kept on rocking more and more south until the scots had everything north of Mentieth. The the French knights came in. And shortly after that Balliol was crowned king. Giving the Scots two A3 blocks. April just swept down into the south and flushed the english out before they really even had a chance to get a major force in play.

There were only a couple of major battles. One where the Scots ran, and the other the Scots decisively took dunbar. Leaving just Galloway under English rule. The next turn saw Galloway fall too. Giving the Scots a decisive victory.

April had emptied her recruitment pool! Never seen it happen. She had also won a Decisive victory for the Scots! Never seen it happen before. Jeff was weeping quietly. I watched most of the game. He wasn't being nice to his wife either. She just destroyed him.

There is a small post script to this session report and it is an interesting one. As April was cleaning up she noticed that the second hand she had was set aside and wasn't shuffled into the deck for the rest of the game. That hand contained two 3's and three 2's. A huge power hand. So there were no 3 cards available for the last 2/3 of the game. It is interesting that the English were so crippled by a lack of big movement cards. Without the 3's and 2's in circulation the english lack the abillity to get over the border in force.

By the way April also won the Twilight Imperium game. We aren't going to teach her any more boy games. She keeps on beating us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
By the way April also won the Twilight Imperium game. We aren't going to teach her any more boy games. She keeps on beating us!

Ha, ha, April's (no) fool! This is a common thing among 'boys', that they think women aren't good at strategic thinking. Think again; I get beat by my girlfriend lots of times in games like ZERTZ and Puerto Rico. Perhaps they are less warlike, but they tend to watch their economics better. "I see a gap, no she won't think of that, wait, s#$%...".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.