Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Kasprick
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Hi there!

After playing Axis and Allies for a few years, I decided to expand into wargaming buy looking at the older games by Avalon Hill. The first one a purchased off of ebay was "Rise and Decline of Third Reich". At first it seemed to be a "beefed-up" version of Axis and Allies. After looking at the instruction book, it looked more like a "beefed-up-by-steriods" version!

To make things easier, I then bought PanzerBlitz which seemed like an easier game to start with. There are many resources out there and most of my questions can be answered simply by surfing the web. I do have one question though pertaining to the "Examples of Play" card included with the game. Specifically, I'm confused about the normal combat scenerio outlined. A Ger Marder unit attacks a Russ T-343c. The Marder is 5 hexes away from the Russ. It says that the Marder AF is halved due to range and target type. My question is according to the WEC chart, wouldn't the Marder AF be NORMAL since they are greater than half-range and they are both armor units? This is what the WEC chart says and yet the Examples card (which is supposed to help you learn the game) says something to the contrary.

What am I missing?

Later...

P.S. Sorry for the long-winded post!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can look this up later tonight but it may be that the Maurader is firing HE ammo. If this is true, then you would half the firepower.

I just picked this up also about 2 months ago and gave it a go.

the best way is just to setup the first scenario and give it a go. You will make some mistakes while playing but by the end you should have it figured out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Maramba
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You're right, Jason. The "Examples" card is in error. Whenever a unit firing armor piercing (A) weapons fires at an "armored" target at greater than half range, it fires with its normal attack factor. That is the case here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's strange. I just checked my examples card, and it says the Marder is at normal AF. Maybe there was a reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.