Popular Tags: [View All]
DoctorMike Reddy
United Kingdom
Aberdare
RCT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, let me make clear that people should buy this game to support the developers, and buy through a local shop too if at all possible; but that's another rant.

Having said that, this seems to be the ideal game for print and play delivery, now we're in the long tail. New maps and the scenario editor (user generated content) are extending the longevity of the game, as well as embracing downloadable delivery. The rules are easy to reproduce, leaving only the cards as unique artefacts, which could be print and play or purchased through custom deck suppliers.

It is possible to DRM a PDF and still get revenue, and this would solve availability and overheads/production costs. An iOS and/or Android app would again increase the "shelf life" of this excellent game, while helping the housekeeping of hidden movement.

There seems to be a reasonable community built up round this game; possibly the only thing that would prevent (by dint of sales) a competitor producing a revised/extended/revisited version of the mechanic in a version/evolution that more exactly captures the theme/feel. I love hidden movement as a mechanism, and want to explore it in my own design. Hence, why I discovered EFTAIOS in the first place. However, what you "get" apart from the idea (a variation on a theme of hidden movement), maps (disposable and downloadable) and some cards, which is to say physically not much for the money. It's a testiment to loyalty that the community has resisted piracy of what is an excellent idea, given how easy it would be to reproduce. Community-building competitions help this, but a steep price (when just considering the tangible deliverables) and poor availability sap goodwill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
byron s
United States
California
flag msg tools
What more do you 'want' from the game or publisher?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoctorMike Reddy
United Kingdom
Aberdare
RCT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I said: a PnP version. Many RPG items are sold as PDFs. And I'd love (to work on) a digital version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lien Rag
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, maps are freely available on the net, as well as manual and so on. You can get the game freely if you want (the only thing missing is the equipment cards).

And as the game is more and more hard to find (i took the last one in my country some days ago), it is good i think that player still be able to taste it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa Ragione
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE on the subject! We are giving everyone the opportunity to try out Escape From The Aliens In Outer Space through the Print and Play Edition, currently available at www.humblebundle.com for FREE

We also announced the upcoming Ultimate Edition! See www.eftaios.com for more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geraldo
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could not find the Print and Play Edition anywhere at www.humblebundle.com. Please provide a more specific link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morvesdorves wrote:
I could not find the Print and Play Edition anywhere at www.humblebundle.com. Please provide a more specific link.
The bundle with it ended a weeks or so ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa Ragione
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
stinkoman wrote:
morvesdorves wrote:
The bundle with it ended a weeks or so ago.
Yep We've set up a new page for purchasing the Print and Play version here: http://www.escapefromthealiensinouterspace.com/index.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls