Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
Second outing for this one. Firstly, it’s a VERY hard game to explain simply (two of us hadn’t played before). But we got ourselves settled into it without too much trouble. It has some similarities with Condottiere, which helped – basically, you want to maximise card use, and DON’T get into a long fight you can’t win!

This one ran pretty close. I started slow, but building up cards, and as a result ended up with a big hand for much of the game (I think only once did I lay more than two in a turn); and though I didn’t place a city for the first three turns, I then started to get them in place and built up a couple of very useful chains focussed towards the final provinces, hoping to score big there. Brian was trying the "keep the Princess" technique but didn't hang on for more than four turns before she started changing hands. Simon was going mostly for commodities and was leading in the early stages. It ended pretty tight between the three of us, but I had just enough to get ahead and stay there in the last two turns.

Definitely a cunning game, enjoyable, occasionally frustrating when other people insist on going for the same things you want! Not too long, plenty of (indirect) interaction, plenty of choices to make. This one’s good. The main problem with it is that it’s just so hard to explain simply the mechanics of what you’re actually trying to do! All the elements are pretty simple, so it isn’t actually hard to learn, but I can see some people feeling it’s a little over-abstract, despite the apparent detail of the theme.

Nevertheless, I like it and will definitely be bringing this one out again and again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.