Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a bit of money from Christmas and have none of this sub-genre in my collection even though I'm a big wargamer.

Give me advice, people. What area control wargames are great and why should I get them?

For a bit of background, I tend to like relatively simple and relatively short wargames like Washington's War, A House Divided, Sekigahara and the like. But I also love ASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
The MMP edition of Storm Over Stalingrad is a great area move game. I also consider Victoria Cross II great, and of course Breakout: Normandy as has already been mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I believe you mean the "Area-Impulse" genre ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2021/area-imp... ) . Area Control is a Euro game genre.

Breakout: Normandy is the absolute best in class, other favorites of mine include Monty's Gamble: Market Garden and the great grand daddy of them all Storm over Arnhem. Also noteworthy is Not War But Murder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your interests include naval warfare, then I'd refer you to Victory in the Pacific, definately a great area control wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Warriors of God but I could see some wargamers not digging it as much as some of the other recommendations. It's pretty high scale and fairly abstracted, but it's so much fun.
I did not expect to like it but it's one of my very few "10"s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second a few recommendations.

Victory in the Pacific is really great. It is out of print, but is going for $20 on the Geek Marketplace.

Storm over Arnhem is indeed the granddaddy. It is going for as low as $30 on the market place.

If you were going for only one, I would probably recommend Storm Over Stalingrad. It is the easiest one, but very sweet. It is going for $20-25 on the Marketplace and $29 on NWS online.

I hear great things about Breakout: Normandy. It is on my wishlist, but it's costly. I think NWS has it for $50.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over on Consimworld, someone asked what is everyone's favourite Multiman Publishing (MMP) wargame.

Brian Youse, one of the head cheeses at MMP, said this about Storm Over Dien Bien Phu:

My favorite MMP game?

Probably MGMG until Dien Bien Phu comes out, then it won't even be close.

I've said it before, i'll say it again. Dien Bien Phu is a 2 to 2.5-hour game with a lot of tough choices, follows the historical narrative very well, is very competitive, and is probably my favorite game (and i've been gaming since I was 13, 34 years now...).

The highlighting is mine. You'll have to take that for what it's worth given the obvious conflict of interest.

Also, the Fast Action Battles Series (FAB) have been very well received.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll second Storm Over Arnhem. Played it for the first time in twenty-some years a couple weeks ago, and another time since then. So much fun both times – a total brow-mopper. SoA is very simple, but quickly gets you acclimated to the committed/uncommitted mechanic and its many ramifications. Great stepping-stone to more chrome-filled area-impulse. (And now that I think about it, it'd make a great entry point to wargaming in general.)

As a result of the good experiences, I have Breakout:Normandy in the queue for my first to learn in ’13.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:
I love Warriors of God but I could see some wargamers not digging it as much as some of the other recommendations. It's pretty high scale and fairly abstracted, but it's so much fun.
I did not expect to like it but it's one of my very few "10"s

Good call. I'm not sure how I forgot about this one as I like it so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While not quite the same type of Area Control like Washington's War, Age of Napoleon might fit the bill. So might Manoeuvre

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle of the Bulge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Origins of World War II is archetypical.

If I'm understanding the genre correctly--both players can put pieces in a space over the span of more than one term? (as opposed to two players moving into the same space and fighting until one leaves/dies)

Twilight Struggle fits the bill, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
citizen k wrote:
I believe you mean the "Area-Impulse" genre ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2021/area-imp... ) . Area Control is a Euro game genre.

Breakout: Normandy is the absolute best in class, other favorites of mine include Monty's Gamble: Market Garden and the great grand daddy of them all Storm over Arnhem. Also noteworthy is Not War But Murder.

I'll second (or probably "tenth" by now) the recommendation for Breakout Normandy. What a great game [though I think it's also sitting atop the rules-density pyramid for A-I games, if that sort of thing is a consideration when buying. Unlike a lot of games, however, I think B:N's payoff is well worth the effort].

I'm a bit more lukewarm on Monty's Gamble than a lot of folks as it feels kind of, err, fragile, I guess, to me. The first couple of turns seemed to have a really enormous impact on determining outcome, so the rest of the game could devolve into a real grind without hope of victory. That said, I've only played it a half-dozen times against 2 opponents, so it may simply be a result of our play style and/or my own crappy play. I liked it, but it just didn't have the same legs as the 3 Avalon Hill A-I games.

Ian's suggestion of Not War but Murder (also designed by MG:MG's Mike Rinella, published in Against the Odds mag a few years ago) is a good intro to this style of game.

While it's a slightly different sort of animal, I really dig Storm over Stalingrad. It's got a fair amount of give-and-take and "oh hell, how am I going to put all these fires out" of the "classic" A-I games, but the tactical cards make the gameplay a little more "freewheeling" for me. Plus, it's both pretty easy to learn (under 10 pages of rules, I think) and can be played in an evening. (I've also played Storm over Port Arthur all of once--interesting but it felt a little under-cooked.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
rexbinary wrote:
The MMP edition of Storm Over Stalingrad is a great area move game. I also consider Victoria Cross II great, and of course Breakout: Normandy as has already been mentioned.

I'll second Victoria Cross II. Obviously a very small-scale conflict, but beautiful maps, counters and overall production quality. Plus, a really fun game - fairly simple, and very quick, which is nice when you don't have a lot of time/space for something heavier and/or bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
citizen k wrote:

Only by BGG's broken definition. Area Control is quite correct here. Euros almost always use Area Majority when they incorrectly say Area Control. Area Impule is almost as useless a term as Worker Placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do people think of Breakthrough: Cambrai?

I have had it staring at me from the shelf for the past year. I am tempted by the subject and I like Area-Impulse games but for some reason have not dived in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
Thunder at Cassino and Breakout: Normandy are two of my favorites. Many folks like Turning Point: Stalingrad but I never warmed to it.

Personnaly I would put Turning Point Stalingrad with Breakout Normandy on top. The other AH games of this serie are a bit lacking, both in coverage as in excitement.

What I like in TPS is the extreme good map detail and epic scope of the pitched battle, while Breakout Normandy has more valid gameplay for both sides.

I played several other games with this aera mechanic, but frankly the Avalon Hill games clearly stand out.

Also the brand new Battle of the Bulge on the IPad is a very good fast alternative when playing the campaign game against an internet player.

Clearly all these games show that wargames don't need hexes per se.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Zacharjasz
Poland
Jablonna
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it is the best game but surely my favorite area control wargame - Angola
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Game Purge!
mbmbmbmbmb
Warriors of God is fun. 100 Years War, Robin Hood, Richard III, Joanne D'Arc, all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are some good ones coming out next year (2013), too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Tomaszewski
United States
Cincinatti
Ohio
flag msg tools
I also strongly recommend VITP. There is also a wonderful tournament hosted by Glen Petroski in Kenosha WI. ever year in March. Swiss tourney rules its open to newcomers and veterans alike. Search the web for Glen under AREA ratings and his contact info is there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Breakout: Normandy, but I'm apparently in the minority as I don't care for it. I think the area impulse mechanic makes the most sense when covering lower level urban combat, so I prefer both Storm over Arnhem and (especially) Thunder at Cassino. The progressive shift to larger and larger scale battles using a system designed for squad or platoon level combat is what turned me off to the system as a whole.

I'll second the recommendations for Victory in the Pacific and Age of Napoleon for strategic level area games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan7012 wrote:
I also strongly recommend VITP. There is also a wonderful tournament hosted by Glen Petroski in Kenosha WI. ever year in March. Swiss tourney rules its open to newcomers and veterans alike. Search the web for Glen under AREA ratings and his contact info is there.

Indeed. Victory in the Pacific is an excellent game. Shame that it's not being reprinted yet. cry

And there are some on sale for a mere $20 on the BGG marketplace! Quite a steal!

Victory in the Pacific

P.S: Enough game acronyms, please! It's not Consimworld here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malcolm C wrote:
What do people think of Breakthrough: Cambrai?

I have had it staring at me from the shelf for the past year. I am tempted by the subject and I like Area-Impulse games but for some reason have not dived in.

I think Cambrai is rather weak. Whereas in most wargames, you can overcome a bad turn at the beginning of the game, with B:C, if you have a bad first turn as the Brits, you might as well pack it up and start over again. Maybe it's just "historical", but when the British drive starts to stall, it nosedives straight down. While this is acceptable after a couple turns, and makes sense after a couple of days of fighting, to have it happen on the very first day of the offensive is frustrating.

It does have some interesting mechanics with the way the British armor degrades after fighting.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warriors of God is also what came to my mind when I saw your list. It is also a great game to play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.