Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been to a good number of online game stores and have ordered from Funagain.com and Timewellspent.org in the past. I know there are a bunch of other stores and when I'm game searching I tend to spend a lot of time price shopping all of them. Gets kinda tedious sometimes. snore

Why do you frequent a certain store? Is it because you know the owners (I know probably a few store owners use this site). I've heard a lot of people buying from Thoughthammer.com and Boards and Bits, etc.

Reason I'm asking is cause well, I like supporting small business (mainly because I am a small-business owner) and would love to put my money toward a good store that will treat me well.

Right now I enjoy ordering from Timewellspent.org cause they have good prices and since I haven't used their customer service I can't judge them on that.

I've seen (and bookmarked) the threads that do list a good number of online stores but I'm always looking for more options to shop...

Maybe a online store review page or something might be good to have on this site. Could be a good resource for folk to put thoughts down on experiences with certain stores.

I know on my car forums we have some sections dedicated to stores and reviews of stores.

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this out:

http://www.michaelareed.com/boardgamesearch/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried many, but now buy only from Boards and Bits. Here are my reasons:

1. Fast, friendly, knowledgeable, and very helpful service from Tom.
2. Incredibly vast selection of games.
3. Fast shipping.
4. I want to support my local community by paying sales taxes and so spend my money in Washington state whenever possible. I always patronize local businesses as a first choice.
5. As a small business owner I want to support other small businesses, especially those with such great customer service.

Hope this helps!

Tim Taylor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Sholto wrote:

That is an awesome tool! Thank you very much. Just simplified my game hunting choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valien wrote:

Why do you frequent a certain store? Is it because you know the owners (I know probably a few store owners use this site). I've heard a lot of people buying from Thoughthammer.com and Boards and Bits, etc.

If I'm looking for kids games you can't find easily around here (HABA, etc.) I go to Timewellspent. If I don't care about how long it will take for my order to arrive and I'm buying relatively easy to find games, I use Thoughthammer, althought their selection has gone up significantly from a year ago. If I'm looking for somewhat difficult games (not impossible) to find, I use Boards and Bits and maybe Cardhaus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kemmerer
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Or you can always purchase from the BGG marketplace, thereby supporting BGG while getting a decent price on most games Of course your customer service may vary dramatically from one seller to another and you won't always know how it's going to turn out with each one, whereas with a regular online seller chances are you'll do business with them multiple times to get a feeling for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered from Boards and Bits and I have nothing but praise for them. I've done a couple of trades through BGG and ordered several games through the Marketplace both with excellent results.

My $0.02

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a FLGS but their prices are way to high for my budget (Memoir '44 is $49.95 for instance) As much as I want to support my local store my budget can't justify it right now. So until then web stores will be where I get my games.

I'm on holding pattern till the new year at least cause my wife told me to stop buying games. hehe.arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it is TimeWellSpent.

I have pestered Dave a couple of times hoping to get specific games in time for a deadline (Getting Railroad Tycoon in time before a trip to Wyoming) and he has bent over backwards to help me out. I can't ask for more than what he has provided.

They are also based out of Colorado and that means it only takes 2 days to get to me even via UPS ground as SLC is the next big hub from there.

Fast "ground" shipping, excellent service all amounts to me being a loyal customer. As far as my local FLGS - I am making a point of donating money to the coffer for the 1 to 2 times a month I use their facilities and they have, so far, been nice enough to accomodate us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Frampton
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with the prior post on Time Well Spent. Quick delivery and I am in Ca. Very prompt replies to any of my questions. And none of my games have ever been damaged in shipment. Meaning they always seem to pack the games well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I use Thoughthammer.com. GREAT, GREAT service, fast shipping, great selection, low prices and free shipping. I can't recommend them enough. I also don't think I know how to spell reccommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just made an order from Boards and Bits a couple of weeks ago. I'm still waiting on it. At first, I thought it was FedEx's problem being slow, but then I finally discovered that Boards and Bits had omitted my apartment number from the package. I gave FedEx the apartment number when they called, but they didn't deliver it Tuesday like they said they would.

When I brought it to the attention of Boards and Bits, to their credit they did call me on the phone to talk about the problem, but they didn't have much of a solution to offer besides correcting FedEx, which it seems had already been done. I guess it's in FedEx's hands at this point.

I've ordered from fairplaygames.com many times and will continue to order from them most of the time.

In my experience, find the online store closest to you geographically, and order from them. Quicker shipping, and most of the online stores aren't very far apart on service and price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did notice off the linky that was given above that there is a nice game store in Atlanta. That's only 2 hours from me so I might have to order from them and see how it goes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Leventhal
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I've used funagain, and boardsandbits. Both have provided me with excellent service. I find that boardsandbits is cheaper if you want to order more than one or two things, but that the shipping can be a killer for a small order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More praise for ThoughtHammer. Nice company, helpful, and great prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raman Ohri
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used funagain and fairplay, as well as trying to use the marketplace.

Funagain is by-far my preferred place though not always the cheapest. Whenever there's been a problem their customer service has been over-the-top good.

Fairplay ... never had a reason to talk to customer service, orders were reasonably fast and accurate. Usually a little cheaper.

The marketplace ... only time I tried to use it the person selling the item didn't actually have it available. They did pull it promptly though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermus
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've ordered four or five times from Fairplay and been pleased so far. I don't think they have the best prices online but certainly not the worst either, and usually some type of discount for bulk purchases. Their shipping is reasonably fast for me. I think they're based in Michigan so they would be fastest for folks in the Midwest. Never had a problem with an order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.