Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rule (top paragraph, pg.11 of rules, states: "Once level 5 has been reached, the marker cannot go any further, but the player can still choose the line and take advantage of the effect of their choice."

If I understand that correctly, let's say I reach the 5 victory point level in prestige points in the favor column. When I earn another favor, can I choose to gain 5 victory points again?

It seems a little strong, so that's why I'm asking. It seems if I were to reach this level, I wouldn't want to choose any other row of favors. Am I misinterpreting the rule?

Help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's exactly what it is. And yes, if you earn enough favors to push it to 5 VP and you keep earning them to get 5 VP at a time, you're probably going to win. Not so easy to earn that many favors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
You understand the rule correctly, and it is indeed strong. The expert player in my first game scored 20 points off the favor track through continued jousting and castle building. (Then he built the 25-point building, completely smashing us newbies.)

If you win two favors at once, then you must advance tokens in different tracks.

Despite the lure of victory points, you might choose a different track simply because you need the money or the cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with all the above. The only check to it is that you can only escalate a favour row to that level of castle being built. ie. you can't move it beyond 2VP until the dungeon has been scored or 4 VP until the walls have been scored.

Oh, also, you can't claim the same favour in any one phase - so 2 favours for extra buildings in the castle cannot both score 5 additional points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers guys! This web site is a great site for support!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that you can always take any of the lower Favors of the same category - so you could even take 1 or 2 points if you want...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But I think you can still only take from one row in any one phase, so you couldn't take 5VP and 4VP in the same phase... you'd have to take money, or a cube etc etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Even though it is possible to gain more than 4 favors in the same phase, you can only gain one from each row. So any favors in excess of 4 would be wasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Raita
Finland
LOHJA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In which phase is it possible to gain more than 4 favors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle scoring, if you use one of your favours to build the blue building that grants you two favours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomski wrote:
But I think you can still only take from one row in any one phase...

Slight correction, just to be clear:
Quote:
But I think you can still only take once from each row in any one phase...

I'm sure that's what Tom meant, but it's a significant difference from what he actually said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Colburn
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I'm pretty sure that the rules don't even permit you to take lesser amounts from the Scoring/Money tracks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cantabrian wrote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure that the rules don't even permit you to take lesser amounts from the Scoring/Money tracks.

Indeed, the rules say that taking lower amounts of money/VPs is "pointless".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Agree with all the above. The only check to it is that you can only escalate a favour row to that level of castle being built. ie. you can't move it beyond 2VP until the dungeon has been scored or 4 VP until the walls have been scored.

Can you take the favor if it can't increase due to game timing?
The rules specifically say that the favor can be selected once it's in the fifth column, but it isn't totally clear that you could choose 2 VP again without advancing until the wall phase has started.

Also, when is it allowed to go into the third column (fifth). The rules say _after_ scoring the dungeon (Walls). For example, when I get a favor because I have two houses in the dungeon, can I move to the third column?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other question on favors: can you take only 1 favor from each row per phase or per turn? In other words if you put a worker on the joust and then get a favor from building the most sections of the castle in the same turn, could you advance on the prestige row twice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Noll
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Can you take the favor if it can't increase due to game timing?
The rules specifically say that the favor can be selected once it's in the fifth column, but it isn't totally clear that you could choose 2 VP again without advancing until the wall phase has started.

Yes, you can chose a favor row even if the marker cannot be advanced due to the current castle section being built. So if you earned 2 favors for building in the dungeon on two seperate turns you could take 1 prestige point the first time and 2 points the second time. Then, when scoring the dungeon, you receive another favor so you could choose the prestige row and earn 2 points again.

qzhdad wrote:
Also, when is it allowed to go into the third column (fifth). The rules say _after_ scoring the dungeon (Walls). For example, when I get a favor because I have two houses in the dungeon, can I move to the third column?

No. The favors for the next castle section are not available until after the current section has been scored which includes taking the earned favors (see example above). The earliest anyone can advance into the third favor column is by jousting in the turn immediately following the scoring of the dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Noll
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
txaal wrote:
One other question on favors: can you take only 1 favor from each row per phase or per turn?

Per phase.
txaal wrote:
In other words if you put a worker on the joust and then get a favor from building the most sections of the castle in the same turn, could you advance on the prestige row twice?

Yes, you can. You could also earn another favor by constructing a building that earns one (church and some prestige buildings), and you could also earn favors when a castle section is scored. So there are 4 phases were you can earn favors so it's possible to use one favor row 4 times in a single turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carmouche
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mark, your answers above agree with my understanding, but can you site a source for us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Attia
France
Paris
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark is right.

From the rules:
Quote:
If a player gains several favors during the same phase (for instance, during a scoring or when the monument is built), the favors must be used on different lines.

The effect of the joust field is resolved during phase 3 and the favor for most batches at the castle is given during phase 6. These are two different phases, so nothing prevents you from using the same favor line then.

William

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Noll
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
funpaul wrote:
Mark, your answers above agree with my understanding, but can you site a source for us?

Ah, yes, I should have included references from the manual.

Well, the designer just confirmed the "once per phase" question, and I consider him an authoritative source.

The question about when you can move to the third (or fifth) favor column is explained in the manual and was answered in a thread a couple months ago by the editor. In the section of the rules on royal favors, it states, "Columns 3 and 4 are available after (emphasis mine) the scoring of the Dungeon section". The example on the next page shows the orange player can't advance to the third column during the scoring of the dungeon so instead takes the second column favor again.

Here's the other thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/84543

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carmouche
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Specifically, my question was whether it was really true that you could re-activate a favor row if you are not able to move forward on the favor track due to a section of the castle not being open yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Attia
France
Paris
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can reactivate a favor track in the case you describe. From the rules:
Quote:
Whenever a player earns a favor, they must choose a line at once, and, if it is possible, advance their marker to the right. Then, the player can use one of the effects provided on the chosen line, between level 1 and the level currently indicated by the marker.

First you select a track.
Then you advance its marker if it is possible.
Then you select and use one of the effects you are allowed to choose.

William

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.