Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
66 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 

Agricola» Forums » Reviews

Subject: In Which I Claim that Agricola is Only Slightly Above Average. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PasiMax wrote:
It has to do with the fact that the farmers' lobby is much stronger than you'd believe.

If that were true then Agricola, being a game about small scale farming, would have been driven out of the geek. The farming lobby is for mega farms and big business.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
The farming lobby is for mega farms and big business.

Sounds like a great idea for an expansion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redmon
United States
Middlesboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
We'll see.
badge
Bro, why you so mad?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To All Those Who Dislike the Games that I Love; You're Dumb.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JrStrange wrote:

What is the point of linking to that thread? It seems to have degenerated into a discussion about Full House/Alanis Morrisette?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redmon
United States
Middlesboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
We'll see.
badge
Bro, why you so mad?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
JrStrange wrote:

What is the point of linking to that thread? It seems to have degenerated into a discussion about Full House/Alanis Morrisette?

What some call degeneration, others call a path toward enlightenment.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JrStrange wrote:
What some call degeneration, others call a path toward enlightenment.

Suddenly your ratings make much more sense.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Middlesboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
JrStrange wrote:

What is the point of linking to that thread? It seems to have degenerated into a discussion about Full House/Alanis Morrisette?

I like both of those things more than Agricola.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paige Watson
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="My Turn Yet?
badge
30 Days, 0 plays
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
JrStrange wrote:

What is the point of linking to that thread? It seems to have degenerated into a discussion about Full House/Alanis Morrisette?

Isn't it ironic? whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Feral
United States
New York
California
flag msg tools
badge
One Eternal Round
Avatar
mbmb
The problem with your ranking system is that you list all the things that are important to you, ie fun, components etc.

And then you add a section at the end for your bonus + or - effectively doubling whatever you like or dislike about the game.

Your bias comes through in every category.(which is good) Therefore, it shouldn't exist as a modification at the end.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kellen,
It makes sense once you realize that his opinions aren't based on the categories he uses to rate the game. When he tries to justify his opinions with those categories, it invariably won't match up and he needs a fudge factor to make it reconcile. Don't question it and let him have his illusion that his opinions are based on some ordered system instead of whimsy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redmon
United States
Middlesboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
We'll see.
badge
Bro, why you so mad?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Kellen,
It makes sense once you realize that his opinions aren't based on the categories he uses to rate the game. When he tries to justify his opinions with those categories, it invariably won't match up and he needs a fudge factor to make it reconcile. Don't question it and let him have his illusion that his opinions are based on some ordered system instead of whimsy.


If you'd take the time to re-read my statements I said that my system is based upon personal whim. ALL systems used to rate board games are based upon whim. There is no real standard for judging how much fun a person has, or how much they enjoy any aspect of a game except personal preference. You seem so bullheaded as to completely ignore that I stated, and repeated, and repeated this. I'm not trying to defend my post at all, because I don't think it needs defending. It's down to "whimsy", as you so flamboyantly wrote.

I can not understand why it means so much to you? Are you on drugs? If you're not, have you spoken to a respectable doctor or dealer? I suspect that you either need to quit or start taking something very soon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, I just find it amusing that you set up a system of categories with numerical ratings to support your opinion but couldn't make it work. Either put in more effort to make it tie out correctly or less effort and give up the categories altogether.

And it means very little to me. I come on BGG because I'm bored, not because I think anything I say makes any particular difference.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'll refrain from commenting further on the rating system.

But I do think noting (if probably not scoring) play area required is important, and it's nice that it was done. Agricola does take up a disturbing amount of space and it can be hard to get 4-5 players comfortably seated without a large table. It's good to know such things in advance. For example, my friends and I really like Space Hulk. Problem is, the board is so dang large that only 2 of us (neither of which are the owner) own a table wide enough to play on and get stuck hosting every time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Eh, I just find it amusing that you set up a system of categories with numerical ratings to support your opinion but couldn't make it work. Either put in more effort to make it tie out correctly or less effort and give up the categories altogether.

And it means very little to me. I come on BGG because I'm bored, not because I think anything I say makes any particular difference.

If it means so little why bother at all, there again downplaying is often a bad way to back out of a debate. At the end of the day he is stating what many people feel that Agricola is a very average gaming experience. I actually find it slightly nauseating and yes that is my rating system.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gamecat_uk wrote:
If it means so little why bother at all, there again downplaying is often a bad way to back out of a debate.
Thunkd wrote:
because I'm bored

gamecat_uk wrote:
At the end of the day he is stating what many people feel that Agricola is a very average gaming experience. I actually find it slightly nauseating and yes that is my rating system.
I have no problem if you don't like/hate Agricola (although I disagree). I think "Slightly nauseating" is a great rating system! There are a number of games that I'd be willing to tag with that rating. But it's ridiculous to create a rating system where you assign very specific number values to different categories and then have to create a fudge number to make your final rating come out to what you want it to be. What that tells me is that the categories you are rating aren't really the basis for whether or not you like the game. If they were you wouldn't have to fudge the answer at all. So throw away the category ratings and just rate the game whatever you want. Or identify the real categories that make up your real rating and use those.

It's like someone is rating lunch and their rating is based on restaurant location (50 points), food appearance (20 points) and waiter service (25 points) for a grand total of 95 points out of 100. But in reality the food tastes like crap. So they fudge the rating to be a 60. Well guess what Sherlock? Taste should have been one of your categories! And it likely should have be given the lion's share of the weighting. So either just dispense with the categories and rate lunch as bad, or pick better categories that actually account for your preferences.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is all well and good, but can we at least agree on one thing?

That Alanis Morrisette Really Sucks?

whistle

Yes, I'm back. Everyone behave. They don't give you comp access in some jails....devil

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  |