Subject: Timer length rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Glassco
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Lots of reviewers mention that a timer is needed to avoid AP, and after one play (without a timer) I wholeheartedly agree.
My first question is: how much time should the timer allow? Two minutes? Three minutes? Is this in the rules? I don't have access to the rules to see if this is mentioned.
My second question is about sand timers in general: if I finish my turn in less than the amount of time allowed, the timer can't be used to start timing my opponent's turn because it's partway through. Do you use two timers - one for each player?
Third question: Any recommendations for where to get sand timers or other types (are there any chess clocks that aren't quite expensive?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/81987 to get some ideas on game timers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two minutes per turn was the rule at an "official" Dungeon Twister event I participated in.

When attacked, the defender gets 5 seconds to choose a combat card, after the attacker has declared his attack and chosen his card.

Of course, you could decide, in friendly play, how "strict" to be about the time limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ocssalg wrote:
Lots of reviewers mention that a timer is needed to avoid AP, and after one play (without a timer) I wholeheartedly agree.
My first question is: how much time should the timer allow? Two minutes? Three minutes? Is this in the rules? I don't have access to the rules to see if this is mentioned.
My second question is about sand timers in general: if I finish my turn in less than the amount of time allowed, the timer can't be used to start timing my opponent's turn because it's partway through. Do you use two timers - one for each player?
Third question: Any recommendations for where to get sand timers or other types (are there any chess clocks that aren't quite expensive?)

For the GenCon and Origins tournaments both, we went to Target and bought them out of kitchen digital timers. They weren't that expensive, and allowed us to easily stop and restart time as needed.

If you're in friendly play, you WILL get faster over time - I recently hosted a (fairly small) tournament without using a timer, and had no problems.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.