Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first outing with the Mythology expansion. I've played the base game many times and it's one of my favorites. My only complaint is that the game seems to end in ties very often, which I didn't like. I hoped to see this expansion address that issue.

We played a 6 player game with all the expansion rules. We did not play the optional rules (5 wonders / 13 for the pyramids). Our first game ended after about 3 or 4 rounds with Greece building the pyramids because Babylon called for 7 trade cards and no one was paying attention. Greece simply siphoned off all of Egypt's taxes and we let him. After that game we decided to pay much closer attention to trading. The powers seem to start out much richer in the expansion than they did in the base game and getting up to 9 or even 12 resources seems easier.

Comments -

* The game seamlessly supports a sixth player. No real additional downtime is added.
* The god phase, contrary to what some people say, seems quite powerful and an excellent game addition.
* The powers seem to be very well balanced, but I still think Carthage is the weakest power. Greece gains a substantial boost in power.
* The mythology theme doesn't distract from the original feel of the game. This is a good thing.
* The mythology units are powerful but quite expensive. We didn't see widespread usage of them.
* There are so many heroes and wonders now that it's almost mind boggling. I would consider removing at least half from the deck each game instead of just 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.