Bill Galloway
Canada
Lansdowne
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the general consensus on this plan:

1. Buy Settlers 3D Limited Edition. (My FLGS has it for $460 CAD.)

2. Keep sealed, wait 8-12 months, then resell.

3. Profit...?

Are there any ethical considerations, or is this healthy capitalism?

Is there now or will there be a scarcity of this item in years to come?

Will a sealed copy appreciate in value?

Will I succumb to the pressure too early and end up cracking it open to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
bill_galloway wrote:
Are there any ethical considerations, or is this healthy capitalism?

I don't know that I would call any capitalism "healthy," but that's a different issue entirely. There's certainly nothing unethical about taking an opportunity to make a profit.

Quote:
Is there now or will there be a scarcity of this item in years to come?

Hard to tell. The fact that it's still possible to get new copies without having pre-ordered it, though, indicate that the people who can afford to get these things have already done so. But it is a nice looking set, and there are always new gamers coming into the fold.

Quote:
Will a sealed copy appreciate in value?

This depends on if you're selling to a collector, or a gamer. A gamer likely won't be concerned about shrinkwrap, so long as the game is complete and in great condition. A collector may be more interested in the value of the shrinkwrapped copy.

Quote:
Will I succumb to the pressure too early and end up cracking it open to play?

Ha! For this question, you have to be honest with yourself....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sold a few games in the past, but they've mostly been popular titles I didn't care for, or had doubles of. I think if you've got some money burning a hole in your pocket there are a lot better things to invest in than a copy of settlers. I have a Chinese pharmecutical stock I've been putting money into for a few months now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know how many copies they produced? That will have a huge bearing on how collectible they will become.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Off the top of my head I can think of almost no games that have been good investments in the strictest sense. You'd be better off throwing $500 in a RRSP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Galloway
Canada
Lansdowne
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, good points all around. Consider the idea quashed.

Now to continue my search for the elusive golden icon of the Bedouin Kings.

goldencamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
I've struggled with the exact same question myself, as I have the opportunity for the next week to purchase 1-3 more copies for $280 each.

I'm torn. I think the set trascends "gamers" - everyone who has seen it, and we tend to introduce a lot of people to gaming, has fallen in love with it. They all want one. Of course, I haven't really tested the market, that is, their desire for it once they have to shell $400 or more for it (I'm buying at a discount so I make good money at MSRP).

Once the sets are absorbed into the markerplace, which will take some time depending on how many were produced, I estimate they will tend to rise in value. Gaming is also becoming a trend in the US about now, breaking traditional barriers and being introduced to a lot more people than before. Thus, I do expect increased demand.

Even so, this is definitely a luxury item from the get-go. Not many people will spend this kind of money on a game. It's already rare, even upon release, and IMO the list price reflects its rarity more than actual product value.

The only comparison I have to this is the Frankling Mint Monopoly set. They made a mint on it (pun intended), but the sets drop in value dramatically when resold (check eBay, $150-$300 seems to be the going price for a set that retails for $600). Then again, the FM sets are still being produced, so that might be the reason.

So do you trust Mayfair to never produce this again? If so, it's probably a safe bet that you won't lose money on it. Beyond that is far too difficult to predict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kemmerer
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nekura wrote:
Does anyone know how many copies they produced? That will have a huge bearing on how collectible they will become.

To my knowledge, there were about 1,000 made. Seems a little low, but that's what I've heard from a fairly reliable source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
One more point: I do look at this as a "heirloom game". So even if it's not resold, it can certainly stay in the family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich K
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can't help thinking there are more efficient ways to invest $500.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one thing for a $20 game to go out of print and unopened copies become worth even up to $100 (a 500% increase in value). It's another thing entirely to anticipate a $500 edition of a commonly available game to increase in value more than %10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At $460 I just made $160 already! I bought mine with the full intention of playing it but we're just not playing SETTLER'S like we once did so when it finally did come I put the whole big box in storage. Shipping the thing would be really expensive so I don't know what to do with it right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is Point #2 - Keep sealed, wait 8-12 months.

So I suggest buying TWO copies, giving in to your game-side and enjoying the game, and storing the second copy to placate your collector side. You may have to wait more than 12 months to see some serious profit, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gameskeepllc wrote:
Nekura wrote:

To my knowledge, there were about 1,000 made. Seems a little low, but that's what I've heard from a fairly reliable source.

The Shady thing is the US Versions to my Knowledge are NOT numbered so that could mean somthing. Reprint?
At least mines not numbered.

I like mine, I play mine. I will pass mine down if it lasts to my children.

Colors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would be beter off spending your money on some gold...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
The Shady thing is the US Versions to my Knowledge are NOT numbered

Yeah, IF they were numbered I would have gotten multiples for sure. THAT sort of things drives up value fast once they get absorbed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
There are certainly more efficient ways to spend money. But in one way this could be considered risk free: If the value goes up, you make money. If the value goes down, you have a game that you are so tempted to open an play that you aren't even sure you can keep it sealed long enough to sell it. Seems like a win-win situation to me. You clearly want to own this, and can't justify it as a game. You can justify it as an investment, however, and and on those grounds you can buy it.

I advise you to buy it and play it. If the value goes up, it will probably go up (or at least not go down) for played copies as well, and you can subsequently sell it. If the value goes down, you have a great game. Every try to gather the family around to play that old Enron stock certificate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Galloway
Canada
Lansdowne
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Every try to gather the family around to play that old Enron stock certificate?

No, Bre-X.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going from the idea that in time it will go for more on ebay than what I paid. It is a 10th Anniversary so I'd assume no more will be made, so give it a couple of years and in that time more and more people will come into the hobby, some of which will have the kind of money to spend on one game. They will learn about it and then start hunting around for a copy and will be willing to dole out a lot to feed their obsession

The way I look at it is that I'll be able to enjoy my copy for a couple of years and by that time I'll have had my fill and then I can just sell it off, at the very least with some profit, and then buy a bunch of newer games with that pot o' money.

I've done with with other high value boardgames. Just spend the current market value, find out what all the fuss is about, and once I'm done just ebay it the right way and get a little more back than what I paid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there was a thread the other day (sorry, can't find it just at the moment) which suggested 5000 Mayfair copies and 2000 Kosmos.

It seems to me that 5000 is quite a lot. I would guess this is far more than "Roads and Boats" and it's ten times more than any of the "Key" games. I think you would have to be very patient to expect to see a profit.

Personally, I've got the German version on order, because it's so much cheaper, and I intend playing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Synge wrote:
sorry, can't find it just at the moment

Oh, here it is ...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/90340

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kosmos edition should be 2500. No idea about Maifair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Franklin Mint edition of Scrabble isn't really playable if you wish to re-sell it. The gold plating flakes over many plays and the nice wood chips. I've seen such in pics on eBay. I've played my own copy very few times, partially because of this but mostly because the game is just more playable in the regular deluxe edition. The bag of gold-plated tiles in the FM edition is ridiulously heavy, for example.

So is Catan just as fragile or is it as indestructible as, say, Heroscape? And, having heard that viewing the game state at a glance is more difficult in the 10th anniversary Catan, is there anything else that would make someone prefer the basic version? (besides price, of course)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with buying anything designed to be a luxury collectable item as an investment is that if 1000 are published now, 999 will still be in existence and potentially on the market in 15 years time. The things that really go up in value seem to be the stuff that no-one recognised at the time as collectable so 90% of them get broken and thrown away.

For instance I've got a copy of Monopoly Star Wars Collectors Edition, (the original one with the numbered board). Worth maybe £5-£10 currently, so it's lost about 50% of its value. Too many still in the hands of people willing to sell them.

If enough people were happy to pay $600 for this then the publishers would have sold them for that in the first place. Maybe you'll get lucky; maybe not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Yannakis
Canada
Terrebonne
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
And, having heard that viewing the game state at a glance is more difficult in the 10th anniversary Catan, is there anything else that would make someone prefer the basic version?

Are you talking about the Kosmos one or the Mayfair?
I own the German Kosmos 10th anniverasy Gold edition(not 3d, but with the plastic bits) which I love. I bought recently the Mayfair edition because the game plus Cities and Knights was cheaper than ordering the German version of C&K alone(also there is a lot of text in C&K).
All I can say is anything would be more playable than the Mayfair edition, this game production quality is so bad.yuk
Adding to the fact that the game is ugly, the hexes are about 2/3 of the thickness of the Kosmos, there is no cards older and the box is really badly made as there is no place to fit the game parts, also the Kosmos edition I have comes with a puzzle all around instead of the regular water hexes(that is really helpfulthumbsup ).

The two games I own from Mayfair are Settlers+C&N and Tigris and Euphrate and I think both are really overpriced for the quality of actual games.
The next time Mayfair produce a good game, if it's mostly text independent, I am ready to pay 20% more to get it's german counterparts.ninja

If you play regular Settlers with no expansions and want a very playable game I would really suggest the German Kosmos 10th aniversary edition. It can be bought in many game stores in europe for about 16 euro . In North America, you can get it at as the name of Die Siedler von Catan Gold Edition at http://levalet.com/ for $36.95 CAD + $5 flat rate shipping to Canada and US. Wich is about $35.00 US.

By the way the box content is exactly the same as the DIE SIEDLER VON CATAN (New Edition) sold at Boulder Games for $37.80, Funagain for $49.95 and Gamefest for $36.95.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.