Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
Just learning this game - looks pretty cool. One question: why would you ever enter a desert or swamp? Looks like you'll spend the rest of the game lost. Desert especially looks like a no-hope move given that you consume double rations and can't hunt. Am I misreading something or are these areas of the board just "dead"? (I suppose if you have a winged mount...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes deserts can be dangerous places but oasis our your friend in the desert.

Rule r215a says:

Quote:
If there is no water available (in a desert hex with no
oasis
) then the food requirement doubles for men and mounts, to represent the need to carry water supplies also.

First and most important it is one of the few places you can avoid e079 Heavy Rains.

Kabir desert shouldn't be too much trouble whilst it is the bigger of the two deserts, you can see on the map are there quite a few oasis and a temple to help stretch out the food.

The Dead Plains is small, so not too bad as a short cut.

You may want to check out the ruins or temple in those deserts there is an good chance of finding treasure or stumbling on more ruins to explore.

Best to stock up on food first in case of getting lost. If you find one, take a local guide.

You'll find almost everywhere you go will most likely kill you, whatever the terrain may be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds pretty realistic to me! Why would a barbarian prince on the run make a daft move like plunging into a swamp or wandering off into the desert?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
Best to stock up on food first in case of getting lost.

In case of getting lost? If I get lost on a roll of 5/6 or higher, it's not a question of whether I get lost, it's a question of whether I'll ever find a path.

Travelling through just three desert spaces requires me to roll 5 or less three times. The chance of rolling 5 or less on each roll is 28%. I don't want to bother figuring out how many rolls it's likely to take, but it's just nonsensical.

On the plus side, taking a look at the redesigned map I see that hexes 206 and 207 are connected by road. That was unclear in the original map. Huge game changer in terms of whether it makes sense to give those ruins a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
Sounds pretty realistic to me! Why would a barbarian prince on the run make a daft move like plunging into a swamp or wandering off into the desert?

Well, sure, but it's poor game design to fill up the terrain with spaces no sane player will ever enter. It would also be realistic if your chances of surviving travel through a hex containing an erupting volcano were very low, but you notice there are none of those on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The terrain isn't 'filled up' with swamp and desert. There are only a few. Moreover you can end up in them by getting lost or misdirected by encounters. Or, fly over them. Hazardous terrain.

I disagree with the 'poor game design' crack. A map with no hazardous terrain would be too easy. It is a conceit of our age that everything must have an obvious use. This game was invented for 8-15 year old boys, for Pete's sake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg Forster wrote:
jumbit wrote:

Well, sure, but it's poor game design to fill up the terrain with spaces no sane player will ever enter. It would also be realistic if your chances of surviving travel through a hex containing an erupting volcano were very low, but you notice there are none of those on the map.

Oh No. I must be insane then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a selection of different terrain types. Some you may want avoid others for their difficulty with natural dangers. You may get forced by an event to flee into a more dangerous terrain.

Most times the choice belongs to the player. If a place looks to dangerous, you can choice not to go that way. If you are looking for a chance for more glory and riches then a more dangerous location may be just for you. This is called variety. It makes for a richer playing experience.

Swamps are perhaps the most deadly with all sorts of nasty beasties lurking within. Deserts offer less combat dangers but more natural dangers. I don't think I've ever died in a desert in 30 years of playing the game, but I'll avoid a swamp unless there is a good cause for entering one (ie following an event leading to treasure). Been eaten by too many crocodiles in swamps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim DeForest
msg tools
mbmb
Also, the desert and swamp hexes make for interesting decisions. On one of the possible starting places, for instance, the only immediate route over the river leads into a swamp. So the player is left with the decision of entering a swamp or taking at least one extra turn to the North of the river and risk getting jumped by mercenaries.

Also, there are ruins and temples in these hexes that you might want to visit. Or you may have a quest to a randomly determined hex that's in the middle of a desert. Or you may be flying across the large desert on a Pegasus and get stranded there do to an unlucky event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.