Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Problem with Prequal Ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was thinking about the possibility of Prequal ships being released and I had the following thought. Thematically how does a stress token work with a droid ship? Stress tokens represent the stress of pulling off a difficult manoeuvre, so how can a droid ship without a pilot feel the stress of turning 180 degrees? Which either means either you ignore it or droid ships won't feel stress which would be really powerful. Discuss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechanical stress, it's a thing. Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rekinom
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkey Prime wrote:
So I was thinking about the possibility of Prequal ships being released and I had the following thought. Thematically how does a stress token work with a droid ship?

Not just that, but you can't even have droid fighters without having a command and control capital ship that is capable of being taken out by a ten year in a stolen starfighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prequels? What prequels?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could simply read it as the complicated maneuver and resulting extreme change in orientation requires extensive processing resources in the droids electronic brain, resulting in a brief period where it cannot take other actions while its processors account for the abrupt change in trajectory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rekinom wrote:
Monkey Prime wrote:
So I was thinking about the possibility of Prequal ships being released and I had the following thought. Thematically how does a stress token work with a droid ship?

Not just that, but you can't even have droid fighters without having a command and control capital ship that is capable of being taken out by a ten year in a stolen starfighter.

That opens up some possibilities actually. Nothing says a C&C package couldn't be installed on a smaller ship like a shuttle. Droid players would have to protect their command ship or risk powering down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom T
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Droid pilots would also lack the instincts and force influence that living pilots have. So all droid pilots would probably hsve a "1" rating and would probably not have the barrel roll ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually enjoy the Prequels. (The Clone Wars cartoon is amazing and has given me a better appreciation for the time period.) However, the game is called Star Wars: X-Wing Miniaures Game. Ships from a period where there were no X-Wings wouldn't make sense both thematically and literally.

Therefore I don't see any prequel ships appearing as expansions for this game.

However, much like Wings of War had WWI and a separate WWII game, I could definitely see a similar, but different, Prequel Starfighters game that had modified rules addressing Droid piloted ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian G
Germany
Neu-Ulm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
conduit overload or something like that because the extreme G-Power of your Stress-manouver had such an evil impact on the droids hull and interior.

Takes one "unstressing" manouver to override the damaged system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:
I don't see any prequel ships appearing as expansions for this game.

Naive and unfamiliar with the ways of marketing strategies, this one is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Ashton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
It's not exactly a great marketing strategy for FFG to tie their product to a series of films almost religiously despised by the majority of their target audience.

Maybe if they're empty on ships and desperate to get more product out the door, they'll try it. But only if they can't find any decent substitutes in the extended universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it looks like ffg are sticking firmly to the original trilogy timeline, we didnt see jango fett in slave 1 and instead got 2 characters invented for a trading card game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:
I actually enjoy the Prequels. (The Clone Wars cartoon is amazing and has given me a better appreciation for the time period.) However, the game is called Star Wars: X-Wing Miniaures Game. Ships from a period where there were no X-Wings wouldn't make sense both thematically and literally.

Why not?

It's only 32 years from the battle of Naboo, till the battle of Yavin. Many modern aircraft exceed that amount of time in service. The F-16; first introduced in 1978 - It's over 34 years old. F-18; same year. F-15; 1976. B-52; 1955 - thats over 57 years in active service.

Within the Star Wars Universe you have ships such as the Aurek class Tactical starfighter that was in service for over 3,000 years. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aurek-class_tactical_strikefi...

Who would be using prequel eras ships in the Rebellian era? Mercenaries, Collectors, Militias, Pirates, Planetary Defenses. Anyone who can't, (or won't) upgrade to new fighters.

Why doesn't it match the setting of the game? I took the game to be a tabletop version of the PC classic, which was all about dogfighting in the Star Wars universe. Many ships were used that were not in the movies, and were meant to be Sub-par.

We allready have ships that were flying during the clone wars, (Falcon, Slave I,) It's not hard to imagine the rest being added.

Whether that's desirable is left up to the individual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironman99 wrote:
I think it looks like ffg are sticking firmly to the original trilogy timeline, we didnt see jango fett in slave 1 and instead got 2 characters invented for a trading card game?

Unless they left him out for a future release with the prequel versions paint job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Lapointe
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toshach wrote:
Droid pilots would also lack the instincts and force influence that living pilots have. So all droid pilots would probably hsve a "1" rating and would probably not have the barrel roll ability.

I imagine they'd have better reflexes though...

But back to the original point... weren't those specific droids all wirelessly connected to a central intelligence?

Then perhaps rough manoeuvers would cause lag? Like they're losing bars or something...

ohbalto wrote:
Prequels? What prequels?

this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
Prequels? What prequels?

*waves hand*

These aren't the prequels you are looking for!

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They could simply release a parallel game called Star Wars: Clone Wars Miniatures Game which can be fully compatible with X-Wing and even allows for tournament to have four possible factions.

...if they can be bothered or think it's of interest to anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralCrunch wrote:
ironman99 wrote:

Unless they left him out for a future release with the prequel versions paint job.

That is very possible, especially if they re-realse all the wave 1 and 2 stuff at some point in the future I can imagine they will probably give them all different paint jobs and different pilot cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
fuzzydice82 wrote:
I don't see any prequel ships appearing as expansions for this game.

Naive and unfamiliar with the ways of marketing strategies, this one is.

Actually, I'm very familiar with marketing strategies. That's why I said "this" game.

I whole-heartedly expect them to develop a second game set in the prequel time period with slightly modified rules. The games could be played together, but with modifications.

That being said, I'm pretty sure releasing a new Prequel Starter Set is exactly on par with Star Wars and Fantasy Flight marketing strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that the majority of us would happily pass on buying any Naboo fighter expansions, you have to admit that the models for an ARC 170 Starfighter would look absolutely fantastic! (not to mention a Gunship and V-wing Starfighter)

But as others have pointed out, I don't see any X-Wing expansions covering prequel ships, but I DO forsee a Core Set 2 branching off into the Clone Wars era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralCrunch wrote:
fuzzydice82 wrote:

Why not?

It's only 32 years from the battle of Naboo, till the battle of Yavin...

Yes, and there was even less time between World War I and World War II.

There were still two different Wings of War games from which Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures was created. (Wings of War: Miniatures and Wings of War: WW2 Airplane Packs)

So once again, I don't see any prequel-specific ships appearing as expansions for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Lapointe
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Disney we have a new Star Wars movie coming up in like 2 years... good or bad... if they're not sticking to just the original trilogy I don't see why they'd make Clone Wars stuff over that new SW7 movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerome75 wrote:
Thanks to Disney we have a new Star Wars movie coming up in like 2 years... good or bad... if they're not sticking to just the original trilogy I don't see why they'd make Clone Wars stuff over that new SW7 movie.

that is a very very good point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with a lot that is said here. I think we'll see a stand alone box that's capable being mixed in with the stuff out now, focussing on Hoth and ground wars in general. At-At, AT-ST, Snowspeeder, rebel and imperial ground troop stands, that sort of thing, plus atmospheric rules for existing ships.

After that, I think we may see either prequel or clone wars starters. There's a lot of material there (ship wise) and the prequels are not as reviled as everybody seems to think. Just look at the amount of Legos that are being made for the prequels. But I have a hard time seeing why it would be a good idea to produce prequel material as a straight expansion to X-Wing instead of a "compatible game" with it's own starter (which also means another box in Target!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertDD wrote:
I agree with a lot that is said here. I think we'll see a stand alone box that's capable being mixed in with the stuff out now, focussing on Hoth and ground wars in general. At-At, AT-ST, Snowspeeder, rebel and imperial ground troop stands, that sort of thing, plus atmospheric rules for existing ships.

After that, I think we may see either prequel or clone wars starters. There's a lot of material there (ship wise) and the prequels are not as reviled as everybody seems to think. Just look at the amount of Legos that are being made for the prequels. But I have a hard time seeing why it would be a good idea to produce prequel material as a straight expansion to X-Wing instead of a "compatible game" with it's own starter (which also means another box in Target!)

I agree with the sentiment, but you may have the order backwards; they're more likely to make the solo game that they don't have to write an entire new ruleset for first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.