Recommend
66 
 Thumb up
 Hide
664 Posts
[1]  Prev «  17 , 18 , 19 , 20 , 21  Next »  [27] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Unpopular gaming opinions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: should_be_a_GeekList [+] snarky_geeklist [+] let's_you_and_him_fight [+] [View All]
Dale Morgan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Knightmare6669 wrote:
OxfordRow wrote:
"exclusive expansions only for backers who pay too much for the game" irks the hell out of me.


Seriously? Do you go to retail establishments who offer special deals to the first X customers and complain you didn't get one? Were you to lazy to stand in line for 2 days like the ones who did?

If I give money to a KS for a product I hope will be as cool as the description on the KS page, I feel like I deserve a little extra for my risk and dedication to your project.

On the flip side if I back your project and you tell me I get some cool exclusive trinket for being a backer, you are an ass if you then ship it to my FLGS with said trinket included and sell it for $10 cheaper...


Hear hear.

I have absolutely zero problem with free expansions for higher level backers. After all, that's why you're paying more money.

I admit it's a fine line that rises the question whether things have been ripped out of the core game in order to sell separately though, an issue which videogames are constantly finding themselves in with the rise of DLC and season passes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think I have a lot of unpopular gaming opinions.

(1) Classic games such as go and canasta are better than modern games.

(2) Two-player and two-team games are inherently better than multiplayer, since in them there are no problems such as vendettas and kingmaker.

(3) The games should evolve among the player base rather than be designed.

(4) Climbing games such as Tichu are NOT trick-taking games.

(5) Each game is in its core abstract. Theme is always pasted-on.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deviated in his zealotry? Surely not
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Punainen Nörtti wrote:
(4) Climbing games such as Tichu are NOT trick-taking games.


I see you've been browsing the comments of Tichu, Big Two, Gang of Four, Lexio and so on.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rednar wrote:
@OP:
I think euros are better when there's some kind of randomness involved.

I think designers agree with you. I'm struggling to think of Euros with no randomness at all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagpuss42 wrote:
rednar wrote:
@OP:
I think euros are better when there's some kind of randomness involved.

I think designers agree with you. I'm struggling to think of Euros with no randomness at all.


The only one that comes to mind is Caylus and that only counts if you exclude the setting up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Buckersuk wrote:
Bagpuss42 wrote:
rednar wrote:
@OP:
I think euros are better when there's some kind of randomness involved.

I think designers agree with you. I'm struggling to think of Euros with no randomness at all.


The only one that comes to mind is Caylus and that only counts if you exclude the setting up.



If you play the variant where all players start with all 10 action cards in hand, which is the way many prefer it anyway, Torres is a zero randomness euro. But the cool thing is is that you CAN randomize the starting set up IF you want to.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Bagpuss42 wrote:
rednar wrote:
@OP:
I think euros are better when there's some kind of randomness involved.

I think designers agree with you. I'm struggling to think of Euros with no randomness at all.

Sounds like a geeklist. Clippers is a good one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deviated in his zealotry? Surely not
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
Sounds like a geeklist. Clippers is a good one.


Completely Unrandom Games
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
By page 20 most of my unpopular thoughts are apparently quite popular.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unpopular: I think Eclipse is painfully overrated. I don't think it is poorly built mechanically, but I think its mechanics run counter to its theme, and that its mechanics aren't all that new/exciting. It would probably be a solid 7 for me if it didn't try to be a space empire builder in spite of itself. Playable, but not worth the fanfare it gets.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Edward Locke
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Schrödinger was a dog person.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darkmorgado wrote:


I have absolutely zero problem with free expansions for higher level backers. After all, that's why you're paying more money.


Um... what?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Morgan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
sweetsweetdoughnuts wrote:
darkmorgado wrote:


I have absolutely zero problem with free expansions for higher level backers. After all, that's why you're paying more money.


Um... what?


Oh, you know what I mean!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lobotnik wrote:
Agent Minivann wrote:
I'm not sure how you could alter Catan to have the same practical effect as one of the iterations of the Free Parking house rules.


Goods lost to the robbers go into some sort of kitty, which you can collect if you are the next person to roll a 7? It would certainly encourage people to keep smaller hands, if they knew others might get their paws on their hard earned/randomly allotted goods.

I am not sure I would like to play with this rule, but just thought about it as an answer to your musing.

While that does a fair job replicating what happens with the Free Parking house rule, I think the effect on the overall game is very different. Hitting a big payday with Free Parking prolongs a game where the object is to bankrupt your opponents. Hitting a big payday rolling a 7 shortens a game where you score points by spending said currency.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Minivann wrote:
Lobotnik wrote:
Agent Minivann wrote:
I'm not sure how you could alter Catan to have the same practical effect as one of the iterations of the Free Parking house rules.


Goods lost to the robbers go into some sort of kitty, which you can collect if you are the next person to roll a 7? It would certainly encourage people to keep smaller hands, if they knew others might get their paws on their hard earned/randomly allotted goods.

I am not sure I would like to play with this rule, but just thought about it as an answer to your musing.

While that does a fair job replicating what happens with the Free Parking house rule, I think the effect on the overall game is very different. Hitting a big payday with Free Parking prolongs a game where the object is to bankrupt your opponents. Hitting a big payday rolling a 7 shortens a game where you score points by spending said currency.


Not necessarily, it depends on who hits the jackpot - if all the paupers get the Free Parking money, then yes, but if the rich douche with all the dark blues and greens gets it then it can be game over for everyone else.

Likewise, if the people losing at Settlers take the winners stuff, then they are prolonging the game by making it harder for that guy to win, or at least dragging it out a little.

But it definitely is not quite the same as having some sort of growing kitty with one small chance to get on it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darkmorgado wrote:
Knightmare6669 wrote:
OxfordRow wrote:
"exclusive expansions only for backers who pay too much for the game" irks the hell out of me.


Seriously? Do you go to retail establishments who offer special deals to the first X customers and complain you didn't get one? Were you to lazy to stand in line for 2 days like the ones who did?

If I give money to a KS for a product I hope will be as cool as the description on the KS page, I feel like I deserve a little extra for my risk and dedication to your project.

On the flip side if I back your project and you tell me I get some cool exclusive trinket for being a backer, you are an ass if you then ship it to my FLGS with said trinket included and sell it for $10 cheaper...


Hear hear.

I have absolutely zero problem with free expansions for higher level backers. After all, that's why you're paying more money.

I admit it's a fine line that rises the question whether things have been ripped out of the core game in order to sell separately though, an issue which videogames are constantly finding themselves in with the rise of DLC and season passes.


Exactly. And this is why it irks me. I've seen too many reviews where the expansions are all but required to make the game work or at least enjoyable. So they rip out some essential part of the game to get more backers, but those of us who wait for retail (either b/c we prefer to or b/c we simply can't keep up with every new kickstarter project in the world) get stuck with either a sub-par experience or, worse, a broken game that we have no chance of fixing b/c all the expansions were exclusives. No thanks.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we stop backing/buying games just because it has miniatures in it? I'm not going to spend $100 on a game just because the player tokens are an inch tall and 3d. Give me a colored token and make it $30.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
War on Terror is the only culturally significant boardgame that has been released in the last decade.

"Gateway Game" is an entirely meaningless definition that should be retired.

If you won't play a game more than two hours long you are a casual boardgamer, in the same way that someone who exclusively plays Angry Birds and Farmville is a casual video gamer. Same if you won't play any game with a rulebook over four pages.

Anyone who uses Kickstarter as a pre-order system or a store deserves to lose their money.

Diplomacy is good for its time, but has been superseded in every way by superior negotiation/diplomacy games.

JK Rowling is more enjoyable to read than JRR Tolkien. At least she doesn't take ten pages to describe a fucking tree.

A significant proportion of the boardgame community is not people I would admit to being associated with in public. Because I find them socially embarrassing.

Rush are shit.

Despite what you may have heard to the contrary, swearing is indeed both big and clever. And smoking does make you look cooler.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephus404 wrote:
Here's one that's really, really unpopular. I hate Kickstarter. There, I said it. I am a consumer, not an investor. If you want me to buy your game, produce it, put it on store shelves and I'll decide if it looks fun. I am not going to put down a red cent on your flashy presentation without actually seeing how the game plays or what people think of it in the "wild". I appreciate that you need money to get your game out, the people you ought to be talking to are investors, not end-users.

Just my unpopular .02


A giant Amen.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
Can we stop backing/buying games just because it has miniatures in it? I'm not going to spend $100 on a game just because the player tokens are an inch tall and 3d. Give me a colored token and make it $30.

Said game at $30 might not get as many sales compared to the same game with some nice minis in it at $100. Some in the minis crowd will get it for the minis and it's a bonus if the game is good.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Cephus404 wrote:
Here's one that's really, really unpopular. I hate Kickstarter. There, I said it. I am a consumer, not an investor. If you want me to buy your game, produce it, put it on store shelves and I'll decide if it looks fun. I am not going to put down a red cent on your flashy presentation without actually seeing how the game plays or what people think of it in the "wild". I appreciate that you need money to get your game out, the people you ought to be talking to are investors, not end-users.

Just my unpopular .02


A giant Amen.
Yes, and also, don't segment out the game so that you only get the 'full version' if you support the kickstarter. Something about that doesn't seem quite right to me.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
I think Antiquity's printing is really, really bad.


Well if you think it's so bad why don't you marry it!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lush
United Kingdom
Littlehampton
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
(1)I hate having to catch up on long threads
(2)when you ask for a recommendation from three games, you instead get recommended every other game under the Sun and people clearly ignore your request of price and time limitations.....!

*breaths*
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Synowiec
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
richlush wrote:
(1)I hate having to catch up on long threads
(2)when you ask for a recommendation from three games, you instead get recommended every other game under the Sun and people clearly ignore your request of price and time limitations.....!

*breaths*


I agree with the reccomendation thing, I have asked about family games and people keep on giving odd stuff. I also greatly dislike Euro's I don't have problems with them or how they work I just don't like the mechanics for personal enjoyment. If I can find one that fits my picky mechanics requirements then I'm happy and will get it.

Also I enjoy munchkin in short bursts with my wife or our friends, because its an easy to teach game when a group of adults might have had adult beverages earlier and are waiting on pizza delivery.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wand
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is:

Not everyone is a board game designer.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  17 , 18 , 19 , 20 , 21  Next »  [27] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.