Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In a 4- or 5-player game, the rules say:

Quote:
First draw one random card from the Character Deck and set it face-down in the center of the table without looking at it. ...

Then draw a second set of cards from the Character Deck and set them face-up in the middle of the table...

Special rule: If you draw the "King" character to be face-up, immediately replace it with another random card from the Character Deck, then shuffle the King back into the Character Deck.

The problem with this is, if everyone sees the King come out face-up and then get shuffled back into the deck, then when someone receives the character deck and the King's not in it, they know someone ahead of them took it.

Laying out the face-up card(s) first, and then the face-down card, fixes this.

(Yes, the way we figured this out was, during a turn when I clearly wouldn't take the King because it would be too obvious, I took the King--ha ha, I am so sneaky--which Ray the Bastard promptly assassinated, because he knew I'd taken it. At least he was kind enough to explain how he knew... Some other things he did that game were assassinating the Magician--argh!--after watching me look around the table to see how many cards people had in their hands, and assassinating the Warlord--argh!--because he saw me counting up his & another player's points, and I counted his a second time.)

(The weird thing is, later in the game, I think he was the one who got a knife from the kitchen & insisted it stay on the table for the rest of the game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
I always place the face up cards, then the face down, exactly for this reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
never thought about that. I'm likely to adapt this house rule.

On a somewhat similar note, definately going to reconsider the rule about the King/Emperor not allowed to be face up. Last game with 4p, the King was face up way more often than anticipated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel Birnbaum
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had just this question and haven't seen it answered in other FAQs. Was there ever an official answer?
PS: sorry for the thread necromancy... zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bunny_and_mono wrote:
I had just this question and haven't seen it answered in other FAQs. Was there ever an official answer?
PS: sorry for the thread necromancy... zombie
Better yet, was there ever a question laugh... yeah, OP deleted it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Yes, I know it's been discussed. Ultimately, I don't think it's ever made a huge difference to us however, I remember the thread.

The suggestions in the thread (quoting from memory) I believe were:

1. Do the face up cards first, replacing the King as necessary, then do the face down card.

2. If you see the King, redo the whole thing until there isn't one.

3. Do not replace the king.

4. Ignore the issue that's created, play as the rules specify.

Honestly, the King is almost a bit of a catch up mechanism and it's less likely to be taken close to the current king anyway. At the very least, the first player will almost never take it and also the player to the left of the king most likely will not take it.

Plus, the King is the only power that get's implemented even when assassinated so the risk is low. The King as an ability to change turn order is very important in this game so I feel like making sure he doesn't have a high probability of being among the cards out of the round is a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People in my gaming group tends to murder the king, if one player has many gold colored buildings, so he is still quite a valid target.

But speaking of which; Why is it that the kind shouldn't be allowed to be turned face up? I can kinda understand if it happens several turns in a row, but still..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.