Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 3 – The Heart of Africa» Forums » Rules

Subject: Terrain Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Cotovanu
Romania
flag msg tools
Hello,

Can anyone clarify me on the two situations below?

1. When claiming routes, in order to double the points value of the claimed route, the player would have to play 1 terrain card (for 1 to 3 space routes) and 2 terrain cards (for 4 to 6 space routes).

Can i play a terrain card even though the other player/s doesn't/don't have the same amount of that terrain card type played ?

Example: I am player A, and i want to play a Desert & Savanna terrain card, but the other players, B and C, have Jungle & Forest terrain card, and Mountain & Cliff terrain card. I cannot play my Desert & Savanna terrain card until one of the other players (B or C) draws a Desert & Savanna terrain card right ? Is this also applicable for playing 2 Desert & Savanna terrain cards ? All the other players should have 2 Desert & Savanna terrain cards faced-up ?

2. Using Locomotives as Wild Terrain cards.

If one player has 1 or 2 terrain card type faced-up, and i want to tie him, i should play 1 or 2 locomotives in order to double the points of a claimed route right ?

If i want to use 1 or 2 locomotives as a wild terrain card, all the other players should have faced-up 1 or 2 terrain cards matched with the color of the route that i claimed in order to double the points, or is enough that only one player has faced-up 1 or 2 terrain cards of that terrain type ?

Thank you!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Peters
Netherlands
Brunssum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gabriel,

The rule is at least as many. So if nobody has the terrain card(s) you want to play, you are allowed to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cotovanu
Romania
flag msg tools
Hi Alex,

Thank you for the response provided!

Regarding the locomotive as wild terrain card, it can only be used in combination with a terrain card or by itself as a terrain card ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gabriel_89 wrote:
Regarding the locomotive as wild terrain card, it can only be used in combination with a terrain card or by itself as a terrain card ?

If you wish to double the value of a Route of length 1-3, you must play either the appropriate Terrain Card or a Locomotive. Either is discarded to the appropriate discard pile.

If you wish to double the value of a Route of length 4-6, you must play either two appropriate Terrain Cards, two Locomotives, or one of each. Both are discarded to the appropriate discard pile or piles.

Before you do this, you must confirm that no opponent has more appropriate Terrain Cards than the number of cards you are discarding (Terrain or Locomotive) plus the number of appropriate Terrain Cards you are retaining.

If any opponent does have more cards, you may make up the deficit by playing additional Locomotives. I asked here what happens to those additional Locomotives. Although an official answer from DoW is pending, it seems most proper to discard them.

To answer the original question: it is acceptable to play to required number of cards with Locomotives even if you have no appropriate Terrain Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cotovanu
Romania
flag msg tools
gillum wrote:
gabriel_89 wrote:

If you wish to double the value of a Route of length 1-3, you must play either the appropriate Terrain Card or a Locomotive. Either is discarded to the appropriate discard pile.

If you wish to double the value of a Route of length 4-6, you must play either two appropriate Terrain Cards, two Locomotives, or one of each. Both are discarded to the appropriate discard pile or piles.

Before you do this, you must confirm that no opponent has more appropriate Terrain Cards than the number of cards you are discarding (Terrain or Locomotive) plus the number of appropriate Terrain Cards you are retaining.

If any opponent does have more cards, you may make up the deficit by playing additional Locomotives. I asked here what happens to those additional Locomotives. Although an official answer from DoW is pending, it seems most proper to discard them.

To answer the original question: it is acceptable to play to required number of cards with Locomotives even if you have no appropriate Terrain Cards.

Thank you so much for the answer.

can you tell me please what happens when i want to play 2 terrain cards (having 3 of its type faced-up) and another player has only 2 of that type faced-up ? I can only play 1 terrain card of that respective type ? in order to remain with 2 terrain cards (same as the other player)? or can i play 2 terrain cards and after this operation it is ok to remain with only 1 terrain card of that respective type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gabriel_89 wrote:
can you tell me please what happens when i want to play 2 terrain cards (having 3 of its type faced-up) and another player has only 2 of that type faced-up ? I can only play 1 terrain card of that respective type ? in order to remain with 2 terrain cards (same as the other player)? or can i play 2 terrain cards and after this operation it is ok to remain with only 1 terrain card of that respective type.

You can play 2 terrain cards. You only need to check that you have at least as many terrain cards as each opponent before playing the cards. It is OK to end your turn with only 1 card.

If you and the other player each had 2 terrain cards, it would even be OK for you to play 2 terrain cards and end your turn with 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.