Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Hodge
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 8-cost wolverine card draws you three cards and also says you get +1 attack power for each card you've drawn this turn.

Does he give you 3 attack power for his own card draw?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cooley
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that's how I've been playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hodge
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chalen43506 wrote:

That's how we played it as well since it is printed above the super-power that gives him +1 attack per card draw.

But all the other cards don't count themselves for their own super-powers, only cards played prior to the card itself so we're a little confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
of course. it gives +ATK for each card drawn, and it draws you 3 cards, so +3 ATK at least. You perform actions on a card in order so since the +3 cards is before the extra atk it counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
soccastar001 wrote:
chalen43506 wrote:

That's how we played it as well since it is printed above the super-power that gives him +1 attack per card draw.

But all the other cards don't count themselves for their own super-powers, only cards played prior to the card itself so we're a little confused.

Almost all of Captain America's cards count themselves for their own super powers. There are many other examples. The order that the cards are played is essential in most cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hodge
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taxers wrote:
soccastar001 wrote:
chalen43506 wrote:

Almost all of Captain America's cards count themselves for their own super powers. There are many other examples. The order that the cards are played is essential in most cases.

I was pretty certain that the Captain America cards didn't count themselves for their super powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Common Caps look at the different color heroes you have, which includes Cap himself as Green and/or Yellow. Uncommon Cap doesn't boost anyways, leaving only the Rare Cap (+3 Attack for each other Avengers hero you've played), which doesn't count himself for the +3, but would count both Commons and the Uncommon Cap (one of each four Caps totals 20 Attack and 4 Recruit if you play the Rare last).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hodge
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Both Common Caps look at the different color heroes you have, which includes Cap himself as Green and/or Yellow. Uncommon Cap doesn't boost anyways, leaving only the Rare Cap (+3 Attack for each other Avengers hero you've played), which doesn't count himself for the +3, but would count both Commons and the Uncommon Cap (one of each four Caps totals 20 Attack and 4 Recruit if you play the Rare last).

Why would Cap count himself for card color when all other super-powers only count cards played before the card with the power on it though? Like you said, the Rare cap doesn't count himself as an Avenger and a character with a super-power that activates on a hero type (Strength for example) wouldn't activate itself if it had that type on it and as far as I know the wording of that power doesn't specifically say "...including itself" so what makes that power different from the others (which is also why I was confused why Wolverine would boost himself)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soccastar001 wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:

Why would Cap count himself for card color when all other super-powers only count cards played before the card with the power on it though?

Because the Captain America cards are based on the cards "you have", which mean any cards played or in hand.

Keep in mind that the rules concerning superpowers are specific to the team/colour icon followed by a colon. Other card text is to be taken literally. You seem to be extrapolating the superpowers rules to general card text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hodge
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So then would the Wolverine card continue to boost if you draw additional cards after playing him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soccastar001 wrote:
So then would the Wolverine card continue to boost if you draw additional cards after playing him?

I not sure why the rules regarding "having" cards prompts a question about drawing cards. Read the Wolverine card and interpret it literally. That is to say, there is no interpretation needed. It gives very clear instructions. If it were meant to give you a benefit for cards drawn after it is played, it would say so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Low
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the question. A couple of different card types came up, so here are some notes about why they work the way they do.

Wolverine: Berserker Rage
For any card, always follow the text in the order written. This card says
Quote:
Draw three cards.
[INSTINCT]: You get +1[POWER] for each extra card you've drawn this turn.

Since you follow the text in order, you draw the three cards first. Then you may get to use the Instinct superpower (if you have played another Instinct Hero card earlier in the turn). So if you do get to use this card's Instinct Superpower, it will include those three extra cards you drew in its bonus.

Superpower Abilities
Note that the page 11 rules about "Superpower Abilities" apply specifically to text "with a hero class icon and a colon, like
Quote:
"[STRENGTH ICON]: You get +1"
Text on hero cards is only a "Superpower Ability" if it follows an icon and a colon like that.

Captain America cards that count "each color of Hero you have"
The page 16 header "Your Heroes" & "Heroes You Have" says that "These phrases include both the cards in your hand and the cards you have played this turn." There's also an example there of a Captain America card that counts colors.

Captain America's rare: "A Day Unlike Any Other"
This card says
Quote:
"[AVENGERS]: You get +3[POWER] for each other [AVENGERS] Hero you played this turn."

You do what the text says when you play the card. Since it says "...Hero you played this turn", it only counts Hero cards you have already played this turn. Since it says "other", it doesn't count itself.

I hope that helps! laugh

Devin Low meeple
Designer, Legendary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hodge
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
devinlow wrote:
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the question. A couple of different card types came up, so here are some notes about why they work the way they do.

Wolverine: Berserker Rage
For any card, always follow the text in the order written. This card says
Quote:
Draw three cards.
[INSTINCT]: You get +1[POWER] for each extra card you've drawn this turn.

Since you follow the text in order, you draw the three cards first. Then you may get to use the Instinct superpower (if you have played another Instinct Hero card earlier in the turn). So if you do get to use this card's Instinct Superpower, it will include those three extra cards you drew in its bonus.

Superpower Abilities
Note that the page 11 rules about "Superpower Abilities" apply specifically to text "with a hero class icon and a colon, like
Quote:
"[STRENGTH ICON]: You get +1"
Text on hero cards is only a "Superpower Ability" if it follows an icon and a colon like that.

Captain America cards that count "each color of Hero you have"
The page 16 header "Your Heroes" & "Heroes You Have" says that "These phrases include both the cards in your hand and the cards you have played this turn." There's also an example there of a Captain America card that counts colors.

Captain America's rare: "A Day Unlike Any Other"
This card says
Quote:
"[AVENGERS]: You get +3[POWER] for each other [AVENGERS] Hero you played this turn."

You do what the text says when you play the card. Since it says "...Hero you played this turn", it only counts Hero cards you have already played this turn. Since it says "other", it doesn't count itself.

I hope that helps! laugh

Devin Low meeple
Designer, Legendary

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Devin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Similarly, if I am in the middle of a long turn, I play a Captain America "each color you have" card -- say I have four colors so it's +4 -- and then LATER I draw a card and it's a FIFTH color, my interpretation based on Devin's explanation is that you do NOT all of a sudden get to make Cap's card a +5, because Page 16 says "... both the cards you have and the cards you have played this turn" -- "played" = past tense.

Not asking for a reply unless I have this wrong. --David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Low
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David,

You are correct. laugh

Devin Low meeple
Designer, Legendary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Durtschi
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh good, then we have been using Wolverine right. We had this same question because MOST cards don't benefit themselves. But at the same time, if you couldn't count the 3 you draw on that card, this his ultimate attack just got a lot whimpier.

We "assumed" this was not the case, merely because of the cost of the card.

The first time we played, we really screwed it up and we were adding +1 for each TOTAL card you drew that turn, so if you drew any cards AFTER you played Wolverines berserker, those also counted. Needless to say, we figured out our error. Alot of learning this game is learning how to correctly interpret the wording on the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
Come to the dark side we got cookies.
mbmbmbmbmb
So lets say I have Wolverine: Berserker Rage in play.
Then I play a Frenzied Slashing (Instinct: draw two cards) which lets me draw 2 cards since Berserker Rage is an instinct card. Berserker Rage gets no more bonuses from Frenzied Slashing since it's been played after it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daming Fu
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How do you interpret the keyword "extra"?

Because in a player's turn, there is no card drawing until the end of your turn when you draw 6 cards. By the time, the cards you played should be resolved already. Why there is a "extra card" keyword there, it seems totally redundant to me. And it also give the impression that "each extra card" means "each additional card you draw apart from this 3 cards drawn by Berserker Rage."

And how about card play sequence?

If I draw a card before I play "Berserker Rage", then I play "Berserker Rage". How many attack points do I get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sticking with just Wolverine and his Instinct Train...

Your turn starts. You have 6 cards. One of those cards is a wound. You also have Healing Factor. You play Healing Factor - get rid of a wound, draw a card. The card you drew was Keen Senses. You play Keen Senses and you get to draw a card because of Healing Factor. You draw a card. You pick up a Frenzied Slashing and play it. Since you've played an instinct card you get to draw two cards. One of those cards is Berserker Rage. You play it and you draw three cards. If you've played an instinct card you then get +1 to attack for every extra card you've drawn this turn.

Drew 1 card when you got rid of wound
Drew 1 card via Keen Senses
Drew 2 cards via Frenzied Slashing
Drew 3 cards via Berserker Rage

Since Berserker Rage was the last card you played after you drew all of those cards you would get a +7 to attack with Berserker Rage. I think that's right. I also think that you can get that number much much higher depending on what other heroes you are using and if they allow you to draw cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
DrRosenRosen wrote:
Sticking with just Wolverine and his Instinct Train...

Your turn starts. You have 6 cards. One of those cards is a wound. You also have Healing Factor. You play Healing Factor - get rid of a wound, draw a card. The card you drew was Keen Senses. You play Keen Senses and you get to draw a card because of Healing Factor. You draw a card. You pick up a Frenzied Slashing and play it. Since you've played an instinct card you get to draw two cards. One of those cards is Berserker Rage. You play it and you draw three cards. If you've played an instinct card you then get +1 to attack for every extra card you've drawn this turn.

Drew 1 card when you got rid of wound
Drew 1 card via Keen Senses
Drew 2 cards via Frenzied Slashing
Drew 3 cards via Berserker Rage

Since Berserker Rage was the last card you played after you drew all of those cards you would get a +7 to attack with Berserker Rage. I think that's right. I also think that you can get that number much much higher depending on what other heroes you are using and if they allow you to draw cards.

That looks right to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.