Subject: Confusion about keys, and panic about the pantry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game starts with four locked doors. Do they remain locked? What use are keys? Can we use a key to open a door? Does it remain open for the rest of the game, or does it close again after the player's turn?

I'm also struggling with the pantry. Can we access ALL food items by visiting the pantry including those as-yet undiscovered (in which case, why search anything else?), or is it simply a static storage space, which we can use to "store" more than the two cat items?

The English rulebook appears to be silent as to keys, and unclear about the pantry.

Why does the ghost sometimes say "your turn is over"? It only ever happens at the end of a player's turn anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Oates
United Kingdom
Leeds, West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Hi Richard

We've played a couple of times but only on the easy level, so there may be other answers to your questions. However, in my experience:

Doors remain locked until the box instructs that they can be opened.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
usually by using magic, but there may be other methods we haven't discovered

We played that they then remain open for the rest of the game (I can't remember the exact instruction from the box, but I didn't question whether they closed again).

Keys are discarded on opening the caskets which feature the suspects' faces - ie when you make an accusation. However, as I'm writing this I wonder whether there is a flaw or my understanding is correct - I'm sure we have managed to open a casket without having first found a key. I'm not at home at the moment so can't check this out. My memory is we opened a casket and were then told to discard a key, but we didn't have one to discard.

The pantry is a store for food that has been discovered by searching but cannot be placed on the cat. A player who is in the pantry can swap a food item from the pantry with food on the cat (making it available to feed an animal).

My understanding is this swap can take place at the start or end of a turn (only when the player is in the pantry) giving at least one reason why a turn may be ended early by the ghost.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does, thanks.

So far the only reference to keys I have heard is *after* making an incorrect accusation. What happens if you guess and have no keys to discard when it tells you to I really don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Oates
United Kingdom
Leeds, West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I've just checked it out and the game doesn't allow you to open a chest without having discovered a key first, so I remembered wrong and it does make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it tonight (on hard - we lost, just) and you're right about the game keeping track of the keys.

One thing I noted - although we were able to open the doors to the dungeon/tower, the two doors to the banquet hall remained resolutely closed - can they open? And what happened to the player who was still in the dungeon when an event shut the door again? We played that he was stuck until released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Oates
United Kingdom
Leeds, West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I've not played the hard game, which obviously involves more rooms and sounds like it introduces other factors.

The rule book seems deliberately sparse - my approach is that all answers not outlined there are provided by the box, and unless it specifically says to do something then that thing doesn't happen. It's a lot of faith to put into an electronic gizmo, but there you go (and this is a Knizia after all!)

I think I would also have kept the player trapped in the dungeon until the door reopened (is there a trap door in the dungeon?), and to open the doors in the banquet hall I guess it's just a case of searching/talking/using magic in adjacent rooms until they do.

In the games I've played these doors have opened eventually, but as they only provide a shortcut through the hall this is perhaps something that changes depending on the difficulty level - in the hard game they may be kept shut so players cannot get to the other side quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple years late to the party, but if anyone is still confused and looking for answers, I did some monkeying around with the box, simulating a game. The way to open the doors is to first find any key, then use magic in the great dining hall. If you try to use magic in the dining hall without a key, you will just waste your time; the wizard will taunt you or the ghost will move around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.