Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Clash of Cultures» Forums » Rules

Subject: Roads and Forests, Bottom Line rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I read somewhere that even if you have the roads advance and spend an ore to ignore terrain, you still can't move into combat on the same turn when moving through a forest.

Is this true?

I can't seem to find the reference now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only restriction to moving into woods is you can't move again to attack the same turn. If you remove the restriction...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan

Dallas, Tx
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Nope, not true. The road tech, if you pay one ore, allows you to remove restrictions from forest and mountain. The example on page 20 even shows how the terrain effect of forest is negated by paying the ore. So, you can pay one ore, go through a forest that is near your city, and attack that same turn.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
The only restriction to moving into woods is you can't move again to attack the same turn. If you remove the restriction...


I just want to make sure I understand.

Without Roads, if a unit/group moves into a forest they can move again, but not if this additional movement would result in battle.

However, they could move into a forest, then move again into an adjacent hex without enemies, and then a third time into a hex resulting in battle. So they can battle on the same turn that they entered a forest, correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not without a road.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
JonBen wrote:
dlhammond wrote:
The only restriction to moving into woods is you can't move again to attack the same turn. If you remove the restriction...


I just want to make sure I understand.

Without Roads, if a unit/group moves into a forest they can move again, but not if this additional movement would result in battle.

However, they could move into a forest, then move again into an adjacent hex without enemies, and then a third time into a hex resulting in battle. So they can battle on the same turn that they entered a forest, correct?


Bold part does not help (see the FAQ beta thread - Combat & Movement). However if you pay to use the "ignore terrain" ability of roads when moving into the forest, then the armies can attack again the same turn (even right from the forest).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Carsten, I was not aware of the FAQ thread.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihály Vincze
Hungary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Another question came up recently in my group:
1.If, with Roads, I move through 2 Forests during my single move action, do i have to pay a) 2 Ore to ignore both two Forest terrains b) 1 Ore, to ignore both Forest terrains?
2. If these two terrains are 1 Forest and 1 Mountain is it still a) 2 Ore b) 1 Ore

Sorry if this came up somewhere earlier, please link the thread if it did.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads and Forests
Turoscsusza wrote:
Sorry if this came up somewhere earlier, please link the thread if it did.
I don't think it has, but the rule is clear:

' ...you may pay resources to let them move 2 spaces (costs one food) and/or ignore terrain movement penalties (costs one ore).' Roads P.20 Col.1

Notice the plural 'penalties'. You could argue an ambivalence, because of the 2 terrain types, but then later it says in the example:

'By paying 1 Ore, none of the the penalties from either terrain type apply to this group for this move.
The unit could therefore both move again and battle as part of a new "Move" action.'
P.20 Col.2

Note 'terrain type', not terrain space. The advantages include being able to emerge from a forest to invade a city and not get pinned by the mountain, normally not permitted, so it is clear that the terrain is negated throughout the move. In effect those units moved through clear terrain.


Am I The only one worried by this?
But don't get me started on a unit getting only a single move even if their first move is into a friendly city, whereas a unit further away can move 2 to the city by paying for the road that the closer unit cannot take advantage of, even though it is sitting on the road unit 2 gets to use. yuk
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You never pay 2 Ore.

1. There is no rule that says you can't move again once you move in to a forest, you just can't engage into combat after having done so, so you need to pay 1 food in order to move two hexes. If you also want to engage into combat during that turn you would have to also pay 1 ore in order to ignore the terrain.

2. If the first move is into a forest, then again you only need to pay 1 food to move two hexes. If the first hex is a mountain, it would normally prevent you from moving further that turn so you need to pay 1 food to move two hexes and 1 ore in order to ignore terrain. Paying the one ore would also allow you to move the unit further with subsequent move actions and/or engage in combat.

In all of the above cases, it is assumed your unit or group of units starts the move on one of your cities. Otherwise you could not use roads for either of these moves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Shemar wrote:

In all of the above cases, it is assumed your unit or group of units starts the move on one of your cities. Otherwise you could not use roads for either of these moves.


You can also use roads, when you move to one of your cities .
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Randor20 wrote:
You can also use roads, when you move to one of your cities :).


Indeed, but I was not thinking of moving into a forest or a mountain hex as moving into your city. If the second of those two hexes is one of your cities the move is also legal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Shemar wrote:
Randor20 wrote:
You can also use roads, when you move to one of your cities .


Indeed, but I was not thinking of moving into a forest or a mountain hex as moving into your city. If the second of those two hexes is one of your cities the move is also legal.


It only sounded like you missed the part about moving to a city (since you say that the armies must start in your city).

But actually another situation is interesting. The hex a city is on, is still relevant for collecting so I am (almost) sure, that it is too for moving.
So say you have armies on one side of your city, move them into it and then want to move them out of the city again. If the city is on a mountain they could not move again and if it is on a forest, they could not attack (unless you use roads to move into the city and pay an ore).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game was last night. I was unsure how to resolve this situation.

Player A's city has three army units in its space.

Player B's city is three spaces away from Player A's city. Player A wants to attack Player B's city. The two spaces between the cities are a mountain and a forest. Player A has "Roads". I know A can spend a food and an ore to move two spaces and ignore the terrain effects. However using a second Move action could Player A attack Player B's city out of the woods due to the fact he "ignored" the forest in the previous move?

I can see it both ways but I was unsure what to do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Gjerde
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
http://landnam.old.no
badge
http://old.no
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is precisely the point of ignoring terrain effects.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gjerde wrote:
Yes, that is precisely the point of ignoring terrain effects.


Right. I was unclear on whether "ignore terrain effects" was for the move action in which the Roads were used OR if the ignore terrain effects persisted the entire turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It only ignores it for that move. However, you don't check the space an army is on when it moves, you only check when it moves into that space. Just like at the start of a round, an army on a forest can attack.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
It only ignores it for that move. However, you don't check the space an army is on when it moves, you only check when it moves into that space. Just like at the start of a round, an army on a forest can attack.
An elegant logical argument, nice one! The stricture is that if you move into a Forest then you cannot move again that turn if you are moving into battle. However, because you ignored terrain effects when you moved into the Forest those strictures do not apply and so you can move again that turn even if it is a move into battle.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinley Engvalson
United States
West Palm Beach
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Roads and Forests, Bottom Line--use gold instead of food /ore?
Permitted?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads and Groats
Kinley wrote:
Bottom Line--use gold instead of food /ore?
Permitted?
'...the Gold resource is a "joker" resource which can be used as any other resource.' Rules p4: RESOURCES.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
Kinley wrote:
Bottom Line--use gold instead of food /ore?
Permitted?
'...the Gold resource is a "joker" resource which can be used as any other resource.' Rules p4: RESOURCES.


There are a very few times you can't substitute gold (Objectives mainly) and they are all explicitly stated on the card.

In 99% of situations you can use gold instead of food/wood/ore happily.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.