Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
That is to say, my wife needs one. She has to regularly print music - often scores. And our 10yo inkjet just isn't cutting it.

We print color so infrequently that it's easier to run to a printshop to do so.

Should we stick with inkjet? or would a laser printer be better? What about ink\toner costs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Everything I have ever heard is that you get more ink for your dollar if you use Laser. Mainly because there is much less wasted ink in the Laser printers than Inkjet.

I remember seeing an article about how much wasted ink there is in a printer's ink well. It's a spot where unused ink that drips out is stored. It was nasty to see.

Laser all the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
Everything I have ever heard is that you get more ink for your dollar if you use Laser. Mainly because there is much less wasted ink in the Laser printers than Inkjet.

I remember seeing an article about how much wasted ink there is in a printer's ink well. It's a spot where unused ink that drips out is stored. It was nasty to see.

Laser all the way.
This. Plus, laser prints don't "run" when you get water/ moisture on or near them like inkjet does. That can be a big deal, with sheet music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Cranky;

Laser is cheaper per page in cost of consumables than inkjet. The toner cartridge is generally a big honkin' and expensive thing but lasts a very long time.

Look for one of those super deals at Staples or Future Shop. There is always an inkejt and a laser available for some crazy low price.

B&W laser is still buyable. I'd be surprised if you even found a b&w inkjet anymore. $30 or $40 all-in-one inkjets are common. You get the b&w printing, colour, scanner, the whole shebang for the cost of an inkjet ink cartridge.

I need a replacement colour inket but I don't want all those bells and whistles. But, I'm seeing that the cheapest inkjets come with them already. I just saw a colour laser at Staples for around $90 which is crazy cheap for colour lasers.

They've become such a commodity item that I think the real business here is in selling consumables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laser printers are faster, and the new ones actually warm up faster than my new inkjet (I keep an inkjet around for the occasional color document, but do most printing on my laser printer).

The toner lasts longer, both in what you get out of a cartridge, and how long the cartridge will stay good (toner doesn't dry up).

I have a brother laser printer and love it. Holds almost a ream of paper, and only about a foot square. At about $80, it's comparable to a decent inkjet in price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Plus, laser prints don't "run" when you get water/ moisture on or near them like inkjet does. That can be a big deal, with sheet music.

And printing shipping labels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is similar to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL2240D-Monochrome-Printer/dp/...

Unlike my inkjet printers, my laser printer was happy with generic toner (I got a reconditioned Brother cartridge for a fraction of the cost and it works great).

My Epson printer ticked me off so much (they're going out of their way to make it so their printers won't take generic inks) that I bought a new HP instead. I had originally gotten the Epson because of the individual ink wells, but now HP has them too, and they are reasonable right from the HP website ($9.99 with free shipping, and sometimes sales).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the copier/printer industry. Get an HP laser for monochrome printing.

We quit doing warranty repair work for several lines, especially the really low end non-HPs and non-Xerox sold through Office Depot etc because the manufacturer made it so goddam difficult to get paid in a timely matter for doing it. That's right, I'm looking at you Samsung. And Brother, don't be smirking either.

HP makes a good printer and almost no matter where you live, you can get service. Xerox would be my second choice.

I have an excel file that calcs cost per page for printers. Lasers are cheaper. Most inkets require you have a color cartridge installed to work even if you never use color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a lot of research before buying mine 5 years ago.
Bought a Brother HL-5250DN. Black and white only. Duplexes. Prints fast. reliable. Ink cost run about 1 cent per page. I love it. Got mine referb for $120.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still using my free* HP Laserjet 5P that I got back in 1995. Same cartridge too.

* Well technically not free. It was given for support in OS/2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
I'm in the copier/printer industry. Get an HP laser for monochrome printing.

We quit doing warranty repair work for several lines, especially the really low end non-HPs and non-Xerox sold through Office Depot etc because the manufacturer made it so goddam difficult to get paid in a timely matter for doing it. That's right, I'm looking at you Samsung. And Brother, don't be smirking either.

Had a Xerox copier/scanner/printer at the last place I worked, and the two-step support calls were a pain. You'd call, and go through the whole thing, and then they'd say they'd have someone call back to say what time the repair person was coming. Most support people who answered the phone didn't know what they were doing and were difficult to talk to. I knew what they were trained to say (turn it off, unplug it, wait, turn it back on) and made sure to do it before I called. Thankfully I learned the login code after a support call one time and could fix some things on my own (like turning off the damn beep).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a couple of the ~$100 variety lasers.

Note that most come with a "special" toner cartridge that does 75-150 pages. Then you have to drop $40-$80 on a regular cartridge, which will print many pages (500-1500). This is how the printer is so cheap compared to the toner price.

Just so you know that going in, I expect you will be happy with the speed and price ultimately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying a two pack or getting a reconditioned toner drops the price down to about $20, and I am happy with the amount of printing I can do for $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
scribidinus wrote:
Most inkets require you have a color cartridge installed to work even if you never use color.

RAGE FACE!

angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
get her a tablet, then she can just use it to flip pages, never having to print again!
P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
get her a tablet, then she can just use it to flip pages, never having to print again!

If only!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.