Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Units Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Miller
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

First I would like to thank every and all BGG's for being a community I love and think is pretty special to be a member of.

Q: How does blocking with a Unit work exactly?
Q: Can I use a Units 'Ability' (Such as; Block x) be paired with a blocking of damage with its armour from a creature?
Q: Can you combined the Units Amour with yours when blocking?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drenik wrote:

First I would like to thank every and all BGG's for being a community I love and think is pretty special to be a member of.

Q: How does blocking with a Unit work exactly?
Q: Can I use a Units 'Ability' (Such as; Block x) be paired with a blocking of damage with its armour from a creature?
Q: Can you combined the Units Amour with yours when blocking?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

You need to distinguish between blocking and assigning damage. Those are two different phases of combat.

In the blocking phase, you play block cards and abilities to completely negate attacks against you. Units can only contribute ti this if they have abilities that provide block.

In the assign damage phase, you deal out wounds for the attacks that were not blocked. Some of these wounds can be assigned to units, and that is where armor matters. Block has no purpose at this point.

One thing to be aware of is that armor does NOT prevent damage, it only reduces the number of wounds you and your units take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You Block the Attack or take damage.
You can't combine those two thing.

You use effects such as Block x to block the full Attack of the enemy.
In example Ironclad needs Block 4 in order to prevent from taking damage.

If not blocked it is dealing damage (8 in this case, because its brutal) and you are looking now at your units and your Mage Knight Armour.

You have a chance to wound your units first. Illusionists will soak 2 damage as the have physical resistance and then takes a wound and another 2 damage from the Attack leaving 4 to be assigned to another unit or finally to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jason,

As the others have said, Blocking and Assigning Damage are two entirely different things. The armour value printed on a Unit is nothing to do with its ability to 'Block'. Don't worry, this is a common mistake which a lot of people have asked about.

Take the Herbalists for example. They have no Block value, so you cannot use them to Block at all. The Peasants though, do have a Block value of 2, so you can activate them in the Block phase to gain 2 points of Block.

Now... lets assume in our example you are being attacked by a Gargoyle (5 attack). And lets say you either cant get 5 Block, or you choose not to. So now you are taking 5 damage...

First, you may assign damage to you Units. Any remaining damage is then assigned to you. So, lets say you have some Herbalists. You choose to assign damage to them. They are wounded. Then, you reduce the damage you have taken by their armour value (2). This leaves 3 damage left. You can either assign this to another unit, but lets say you dont have another Unit, so the damage goes to you.

You alwasys take a wound, no matter how much damage it is. But then you reduce the damage taken by your armour. Lets say your armour is still 2, which means you will actually take 2 wounds yourself. If you'd chosen not to take a wound on the herbalists, you would have taken 3 wounds yourself.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank guys that has it all figured out for me nicely! You guys are the best!

p.S. I loved your video on the game Paul. That you for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.