Puzzle Strike (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: how to resolve things rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey I'm new to the game and I'm kind of confused by two rules.

One rule says to resolve the effects on a chip from left to right top to bottom

and then there is another rule that says completely resolve a chip before moving onto a new chip

So if there is a chip that says + 2 actions and + 1 chip draw. how does this work? would I resolve the +2 actions by playing more chips and then drawing a chip. Or would I resolve the current chip before moving onto the next chip by first drawing a chip and then doing the +2 actions?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+2 actions means that you have 2 actions in the bank that you can use in your turn. You don't have to use them now and you should think of them as a ressource (if you use tokens to count your number of available actions you would take two).

so in short: you draw the chip and then you are allowed to play the two actions. The reason for this is that +2 actions doesn't meann that you must play two action cards but rather that you get 2 of the imaginary action ressource, which you pay every time you use an action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
As Arthur said, the chip effect order doesn't necessarily mean for you to use the effects in that order, though you do have that option. For "plus" effects (+action, +chip, +piggy, and +$, such as on the chip One Of Each), you add them to a pool of available moves you can make in that turn. Other effects resolve in the order you specified.

If it still seems unclear, try playing the online version at FantasyStrike.com. You'll notice that any chips giving you actions, extra money or piggy banks will put them in a pool at the top right corner of the game window, while chip draws will simply add the specified number of chips to your hand. Actions are used at your discretion during the action phase, money is stored to use during your buy phase that turn, and you use the piggies during cleanup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rulebook could be a lot clearer on this, it confused me at first as well. Essentially, an arrow on a chip doesn't mean "do an additional action right now", but rather "you gain an additional action of this arrow's color for use after this chip has been resolved".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep, with the popularity of games like dominion, it was probably somewhat assumed known

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
yep, with the popularity of games like dominion, it was probably somewhat assumed known

I try to never assume anything when it comes to game rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, folks already answered this one correctly.

You are still technically resolving the chip from left to right and completely, but the act of getting an extra action simply goes into your 'stash' of extra actions for the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Andy
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That said, draws ARE immediate and must be taken immediately and in the order of things on the chip. Actions, pigs, and $ immediately give you "the ability to do something later, if you want."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks to everyone that replied. It cleared everything up for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank goodness for this thread. I know this issue has been dealt with before but it always got really confused and I never found a simple straightforward answer. The 'additional action as a resource' interpretation is a stroke of genius, thankyou!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey thanks

I've never been called a genius before

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.