Popular Tags: [View All]
Rolf H
Sweden
Östersund
Jämtland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

We are setting up a game of TI3 on Friday, and I would like some recomendations for this.
We are 6 persons, some of us have played it a couple of times a few years ago, so rules knowledge is not perfect but all are experienced gamers.

I have both expansions.
We have about 12 hours, would be good if could finish in that time.

What set of strategy cards should we use? I like the look of the "more robust" political optional rules in Shards of the Throne. I was looking at a mix of the different ones.

What other optional rules can be recomended/avoided?
I understand the MU rules are somewhat contradictory and we could do without that.
What about the flagships, are they balanced?

I intend to use pre-set maps to save some time, and since we are not so experienced I think it's the most fair.

Someone said that 7 players and 4 rings was the optimal balance of people/space.

Any other recomendations and thoughts? Thankful for your comments!

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Wales
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I will cut ya!
badge
Puuuurrrrrrrrrrrr
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play with MU and flagships along with all new races and tech. They are just to much fun to leave out.

I would recommend leaving out distant suns, new political structure, leaders and mercenaries. While I like each of these, it can really bog down a game if everyone isn't used to playing with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oxymandias wrote:
What set of strategy cards should we use? I like the look of the "more robust" political optional rules in Shards of the Throne. I was looking at a mix of the different ones.

Shattered Empire's Strategy cards are ideal if everyone has played before. Political Intrigue is lots of fun but has many ambiguous and/or confusing rules corner-cases. Go over the latest FAQ and be prepared to come up with a fair ruling or two.

Oxymandias wrote:
I understand the MU rules are somewhat contradictory and we could do without that.

Basically, they can capture planets, and are otherwise immune to or unaffected by anything else that references ground forces. They are most importantly immune to most of the bad domain counters, so if you play with Distant Suns I feel they are essential.

Oxymandias wrote:
What about the flagships, are they balanced?

Some are better than others but none of them are "broken", and they can all be fought or countered by normal ships. No need to feel intimidated by an enemy flagship, most of them are beatable by an equal amount of resources-worth of opposing ships.

Oxymandias wrote:
Someone said that 7 players and 4 rings was the optimal balance of people/space.

I do not agree with this. 4 rings exponentially increases the amount of resources in the game, which directly decreases conflict and player interaction. I would never willingly play in a 4 ring setup without the 8th player. If there were exactly 7 players, I would force everyone [at gunpoint ] to play the 7 player Fall of the Empire scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolf H
Sweden
Östersund
Jämtland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!

I've found lots of good advice in the forums. Thinning out the political and action card decks seems like a good thing.

I personaly like Distant Suns and would like to try space version (frontier something...?) for the theme, but in our troupe we have some more tactical players who might prefer less randomness. Territorial DS might be a decent compromise.

I'll stick to 3 rings! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.