Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Very new to board gaming and just want some suggestions as I don't know what is available.

Basically this is what I am looking for:
Mainly a solo game but has the option of more players (preferably coop).
Not zombies but if there is a game thats good enough I will seriously consider it.
Not a deck building game but fine with living card game (if I got that right)
I seem to be pretty interested in miniatures but not keen enough to do painting or spending crazy amounts of money.
In regards to genre, would prefer casual so when I do get the chance to get new people into games that they don't get scared but deep enough for me.

If you need any more information let me know and I will try and explain more haha

EDIT: Whoops forgot to add.
I currently have Flash Point on order.
Looking at Forbidden Island (maybe I should try it on iOS first? Will it spoil it?)

Thank you very much in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Ghost Stories primarily as a solo game, and still like it a lot as a multi-player co-op. It's what I recommend for what you've listed.

Others will say it's frustratingly too hard. But I like the challenge. And to its credit, I've gotten better with experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Buckey
United States
Concord Twp
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about whether it would scare away potential others, but The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game (LCG) is good solo and can be played with 2 players as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now I am enjoying Mice and Mystics. Played the first chapter solo and the wife and I have played a couple chapters together. It is a pretty good story/RPG game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue can be played solo or co-op with others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Day Dice
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
PAX
Red November
Snowdonia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this. Has anyone played it? Police Precinct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sayre
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yggdrasil if the theme suits you. You can greatly change the difficulty level so as to make the game harder when playing solo and scale it down for newer players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War: The Board Game (warning: only consider this if you enjoy REALLY tough games. this is one is is a challenge!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
Good for solo, but it's a co-op for up to 6 players.
Some claim to have difficulty with the rules, so check out a gameplay video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide.
Pandemic.
And pretty much any other purely cooperative game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbuckey wrote:
I'm not sure about whether it would scare away potential others, but The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game (LCG) is good solo and can be played with 2 players as well.

This is a great game.

However, I am not sure the difference between deckbuilding and living card game is clear.

Both require deck building.

The deckbuilding games do this as part of the game. They are complete games in a box. Examples are Dominion or Thunderstone.

LCGs require deck building before the game. They typically need a few expansions to really work well.

Another really fun coop game is Robinson Crusoe.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Allein
Austria
Mödling
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a bunch of games I own and play solo:

Pandemic - One of the best games. Solo and with others.
Pandemic: On the Brink - Expansion to pandemic. More variety and with the Bio-Terrorist you add a player to play against.
Flash Point: Fire Rescue - You just order that May be compared with pandemic but more "themic".
Ghost Stories - Dice driven game. Also different difficulty levels. White Moon expansion is sadly out of print. Sometimes it's too much luck based, but overall a lot of fun.
Arkham Horror - Very epic. Very long. Very space consuming. Playing and story telling
Elder Sign - See it as "Arkham Horror Light". Fast play. Dice driven.
Forbidden Island - From the same author as Pandemic. You can see it as "Pandemic light". Perfect for kids. A good solo filler.
Friday - Only playable solo! Kind of deck building game. But not really a Deck Building game. Different difficulty levels up to nightmare.
K2 - Very thematic game. Something different. Not a brainburner, but also not easy sometimes.
Suburbia - Bought it recently. Two different solo modes. See the rulebook online. In multiplayer a lot to take care of. SimCity on cardboard
The Castles of Burgundy - Heavy Euro game. There are no official solo rules, but good "self made" rules.
Le Havre - More heavy Euro game. Short and long play modes. Solo and multiplayer. A lot of playing possibilities. Epic replayability.
Agricola - THE worker placement game. Not that easy to get into but big replayability. In the advanced game you draw 7 out of 66 cards in the two player game. Do the math on the combinations. On the Lookout Games homepage you will find images of all cards where you may read the flavour text.
Rallyman - Nice Rally game. Not like Formula D. Even better with the "Dirt" expansion.

Games I don't own but are in my buying queue:
Mage Knight Board Game - Is a little bit epic and a lot of rules
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island - In my opinion "the" solo player game. I'll wait for the german reprint. Seems also to have a huge replayability.
Gears of War: The Board Game - Is also on my buying radar. (German version in my store in mid January ). Read a lot of good things about playing solo.
Snowdonia - Not quite sure about that. Seems thematic but I am not that attracted. Yet.
CO₂ - Don't know yet much about it. Has a solo mode. Have no information about replayability. Seems to have a strong theme.

You said no Deck Building but for completion
Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin - Deck building with a lot of variety. Also the two expansions. There are also some modules on the TA homepage. Playable alone and with others. In the Thunderstone Advance: Root of Corruption there is a coop mode introduced.

Have a look at the Box of Delight youtube playlist: http://www.youtube.com/user/rickkcroyal/videos?view=1&flow=g...
you will find solo plays of Arkham Horror, Forbidden Island, Gears of War, Mage Knight, Robinson Crusoe ....

BlackBeltGaming has also a very good channel http://www.youtube.com/user/blackbeltgaming.

Other you might watch:
rahdo : http://www.youtube.com/user/rahdo
callasmar : http://www.youtube.com/user/callasmar

With best regards from Austria
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Buckey
United States
Concord Twp
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no idea so many games could be played solo. Thanks Martin for the excellent post!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Allein
Austria
Mödling
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbuckey wrote:
I had no idea so many games could be played solo. Thanks Martin for the excellent post!

You're welcome

BlackBeltGaming has released yesterday a solo play of
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsBo2g5ZaRU

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The iOS version of Forbidden Island is good, you really don't need the both versions though.

I'd recommend Race for the Galaxy (2 to 4 players) with the first expansion The Gathering Storm (adding a 5th player and solo variant).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Leite
Brazil
Campinas / Atibaia
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War solo.(then you control more than one character to make more challenging!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions

Haha now the problem is that there are too many to choose from but thats not a bad thing really.

When I said deck building I meant more of I don't have to buy lots of expansions or what not to make the game work well.

I will look through this list in detail and post again if I have any questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaliba wrote:
When I said deck building I meant more of I don't have to buy lots of expansions or what not to make the game work well.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. 'Deck building' is a game mechanic, you can purchase Dominion and while you can purchase expansions that is all you will ever need for 2 to 4 players to play, you build decks in the game with whats provided.

By 'living card game' I'm guessing you mean something like Magic: The Gathering, which while good, isn't solitaire at all.

*-though, now that I've said that, IS there an expandable solo card game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I have gone through the list and narrowed it down.
Zombicide
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Gears of War: The Board Game

I'm worried that Gears of War is going to be too hard for a new player to these sorts of games like myself will through me off.

Maybe a suggestion on one of those three?

EDIT: Adding Mice and Mysticsto the list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for the Lord of the Rings LCG!

Also, Elder Sign. A dice game set in the Lovecraft mythos that can be played solo or co-op with others. An app is available if you'd like to try it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancestral Hamster wrote:
Another vote for the Lord of the Rings LCG!

Also, Elder Sign. A dice game set in the Lovecraft mythos that can be played solo or co-op with others. An app is available if you'd like to try it first.

Yeah I will be doing that.
Also, Blood Bowl is on sale on Steam. Is that worth getting? Still many people playing it online?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaliba wrote:
Hi all,

Very new to board gaming and just want some suggestions as I don't know what is available.

Basically this is what I am looking for:
Mainly a solo game but has the option of more players (preferably coop).
Not zombies but if there is a game thats good enough I will seriously consider it.
Not a deck building game but fine with living card game (if I got that right)
I seem to be pretty interested in miniatures but not keen enough to do painting or spending crazy amounts of money.
In regards to genre, would prefer casual so when I do get the chance to get new people into games that they don't get scared but deep enough for me.

If you can get a copy, how about Mice and Mystics? It's a coop game and you can play any coop solo. There aren't any zombies and it's not a deck builder. It does have minis although you'd have to paint them yourself or pay someone to do it.

My only question is how casual friendly it is. There were so many rave reviews here on the geek that I went out and grabbed the last copy at my FLGS today on a whim, but I haven't read the rules yet. Perhaps one of our fellow geeks could answer. I do know that I've read several posts about people playing with their children as young as 7, so it couldn't be too terribly complex given that.

And as for casual friendliness, who wouldn't be tempted by "Yeah, we're anthropomorphic mice on a quest for cheese!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaliba wrote:

I would stay away from Zombicide. You said you don't like Zombies, and I don't think this game is good enough if you don't get behind the theme. It's also fairly expensive (though you do get a lot of nice miniatures).

Gears of War has some of the best miniatures I have seen in board games to this date. Good game, too.

I havn't played Mice and Mystics, yet, but it looks very nice. Biggest concern is the lack of replayability, once you have done all scenarios once.

The highest amount of replayability surely comes with Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, though it does require a lot of expansions to be bought as well. Awesome game, but it is also quite hard.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.