10 Posts

Guards! Guards! A Discworld Boardgame» Forums » Rules

Subject: spell run, wizards challenge and moving rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacint Poor
msg tools
Dear all,

After a normal spell run (not final) succeeded, and the wizards challange failed, it is said that I can re attempt the challenge in the next turn! It is also said, that if I don't have enough volunteers at the gate, I can go to get more! My question is: After a failed wizards challenge, can I move (with my character playing piece) off the great spell hex in my next turn, do anything (buy volunteers, items, plant saboteur, sell wanted volunteers etc...) and still re attempt my wizards challenge with the volunteers already at the gate? And if its failed again, can I move on, just like a normal turn, and STILL re attempt the wizards challenge at the end of my turn?

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Boyd
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jacint,

If you fail to pass a wizards challenge you have two options on your next turn.

Either:

Re-attempt the challenge with the volunteers who are already at the gate;

or

send another volunteer to help andd then re-attempt the challenge. (you may have a maximum of 6 volunteers at your Start Gate during a spell run)

As you point out, if you have no additional volunteers in your hand to send (or if you have volunteers but do not wish to send any of those particular charcters) - you can move your playing piece off the Spell Tile and move to a recruiting tile in order to recruit a new volunteer.

However ANY VOLUNTEER RECRUITED WHILE YOUR SPELL RUN IS STILL IN EFFECT (ie. when your Spell Run Marker is on your Start Gate) MUST BE SENT IMEDIATELY TO THE START GATE TO ASSiST WITH THE WIZARDS CHALLENGE.

Note: You do not need to return your Playing Piece to the Spell Tile to send the additional volunteer. This happens as instantly as soon as you recruit the new volunteer.

Similarly, any Scrolls or Items purchased while your spell run is still in play should be used immediately to assist in passing the Spell Run. (in the case of an item it would need to be equipped to an additional volunteer who is then sent to the Start Gate to assist.

The overriding principle in this should be that, once you start a Spell Run, everything you do must be aimed directly at completing the run and passing the Wizard's Challenge to return the spell. A player can not recruit volunteers or buy items etc and just add them to their hand while they have a Spell run in progress.

I hope this answers your question.

regards & enjoy the game
Leonard Boyd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacint Poor
msg tools
Thank U very much for the fast and precise answer!!! It helped a LOT!

Regards
Jacint

ps.: It is really nice to see your work with the forums, facebook pages, faqs, etc... All questions and problems are answered really fast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Boyd
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jacint

What can I say? - we enjoy what we do!

Its always good to get feedback of any sort from gamers and people who have bought and played Guards! Guards!

regards
Leonard Boyd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacint Poor
msg tools
One more question, if I may.

Am I correct, when I say, that in a player's turn, the "effects phase" is the last phase, for example: I move, then try to recruit a volunteer, but I rolled 8 on the charm roll, so I can charm the next volunteer too, before any fate or luggage movement should happen, and AFTER THAT, I move the luggage with the total amount on the newly recruited cards, and resolve the fate-cards etc...
My question is: In the "effects phase", what is the order of things to do? For example, luggage movement is the 1st, or fate-cards? (on this weekend came up this question, when a dragon was summoned, and its location strongly depended on the order of the "effects phase"!

And 1 more question please, when shall used scrolls be returned to the appropriate pile? After used, or after the duration expires (for example a scroll, which gives -2 to all rolls during a spell run, when shall be returned to its pile (a spell run can last for many rounds in specific cases))?

And an other question Can a player's attributes (charm, guild, magic) exceed the minimum / maximum written on the guild cards? (for example, can a player have -2 charm, or 6 guild?)

Thanks for Your answer!
Regards
Jacint

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Boyd
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jacint,

It's great to hear you have been playing again.

As you say, the Effects Phase is the last part of a players turn where they update their attributes, move the luggage, and resolve any effects from fate cards if required.

If (in the case of rolling an 8 on a charm roll) a player has recruited more than one volunteer on their turn, then this is done after the second volunteer has been successfully recruited.

The order in which effects should happen is.

1. Mark any attribute changes to your Guild Card gained (or lost) as a result of any bonuses on newly recruited volunteers.

2. Move the luggage, (if two volunteers have been recruited then move the total distance at the same time)

3. Apply the effects of any fate cards.

In actual game play what we normally do when we successfully recruit a volunteer with a fate symbol is, draw the fate card first but place it face down in front of us, then check the volunteer card for any bonuses and apply them if required, then move the luggage, then finally turn over the Fate Card and read and apply its effects.

If an 8 is rolled, and the first volunteer recruited has a Fate symbol then we would:

1.draw a fate card for the first volunteer and place it face down, then check the first volunteer card for any bonuses and apply them if required.

2. Then draw and attempt to recruit the second volunteer.

3. If you succeed ( and the second volunteer also has a Fate symbol) then draw a second fate card and place it face down, then check the second volunteer card for any bonuses and apply them if required.

4. Move the Luggage the total distance from both recruited volunteer cards.

5. Turn over, read and apply the effects of the first Fate Card.

6. Turn over, read and apply the effects of the second Fate Card.

As for when to return Scroll cards: They are not returned to the decks until their duration expires. If you are casting something that lasts longer than one round then give the scroll card to the targeted player who should place it face up on their Guild card to remind them that it is still in effect. In the case of the card you mentioned it would stay until the player completes his spell run and successfully returns his spell (passing the wizards challenge).

On you last question, the scores marked on the Guild Cards are the maximun & minimum allowed.

enjoy the game.
Leo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deanna Shepard
Italy
flag msg tools
Hello I have a question too! Maybe it was alreadfy answered... but I didn't find anything about it.

What if I start a Spell run too early? First time we palyed we all rushed to do the spell run: we discovered at the and we didn't have enough magic/guild points to succeed.
It takes 9, with a d8 roll: so we learned we clearly need to build our magic/guild points first.
But what about when you come at the Univiersity door too early? We tried to recruit volunteers giving +1 magic or +1 guild bonus, but soon we had 6 volunteers on the Wizard challege. And then?
Can we leave the challenge? The rulebook says we can only recruit but we can't recruit after 6 volunteers on the wizard challenge... so? We stop playing?
We can't also go to the guild to buy guild or magic points.

Another question: is it possible to pass on a spell, gather it and attempt the spell run later? If the player has not enough guild or magic points, for example, can he/she choose to keep the spell and wait until has enough strenght to open the University doors...?

Thanks for any help you will offer.

Serena

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Final Spell Run is the only one in which you meed Magic and Guild points, and you must make that run yourself, you don't use your Volunteers (although the Volunteers accompanying you can still be Sabotaged). The rules say you can collect money, recruit Volunteers, etc., during the Final Spell Run, so you would surely also be able to buy some Guild and Magic points on your way back. I guess it seems fair to let you leave the Challenge in order to go back to the Guild to do this if you are still at 0 in one of the categories, but you are of course risking being Sabotaged some more. In fact, the FAQ states it's OK to leave the Gate in the Final Spell Run to recruit some more Volunteers, so it seems officially sanctioned too.

Given all that, there is no need for you to postpone a Challenge, so you shouldn't be able to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacint Poor
msg tools
Hi, 1 more tiny question. Does anything happen to a player, if a dragon is summoned upon his head? For example if he stands at the assassins guilds' headquarters, and a dragon is summoned in that quadrant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Boyd
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jacint

Firstly let me apologise for the long delay in answering your questions. It has been a frantic few months for us as we worked towards getting 2 new games developed to a stage where we could show them at the UK games Expo a few weeks ago.

Does anything happen to a player, if a dragon is summoned upon his head?

A very good question, and one that we had not considered.
My initial thoughts are that it should be treated like being hit by the luggage. - ie. the player's pawn is moved directly to the nearest hospital where they must pay 1 dollar of miss their next turn.

hope this helps

regards
Leo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.