Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarity Polarity v1.0

A basic familiarly with the regular rules is needed, just so you know the terms.

Number of players 1 to 4

Setup: Flip the red disc and place it on its spot. Place five white and five black foundation discs on the mat. If you like, players can alternate placing these discs to be fair.

Play: On your turn, take a disc from the unplayed stack and either attempt to place a leaner (of either color) or to turn a leaner into a foundation (of either color).

Leaner: If you successfully place a leaner, score two points plus one point for each leaner already at that particular foundation disc. So if two discs are already leaning there and you place a third, score four points.

Foundation: If you successfully turn a leaner into a foundation, score one point. You may convert multiple leaners with one swoop and score one point for each converted disc. The disc left in your hand goes back to the unplayed stack.

Causing a fault: If you cause a fault, you don’t score, and in fact you lose as many points as there are discs involved in the fault. (A clump of three is negative three points for you). Discs left in your hand go back to the unplayed stack. If there are discs on the board needing correction, you -- the current player -- correct them. If you cause another fault while correcting a fault, you lose more points based on how many discs are involved in the new fault, and you have to correct that fault as well, and so on. Play then passes to the next player.

Special score: Placing a leaner on a leaner scores you six points.

Special situation: Instead of your normal turn, you may place a foundation (either color) for zero points.

Red disc: if you cause a fault with the red disc, score a negative ten points in addition to any other fault points you wrack up. Correct the fault by replacing the disc.

The game is over after:
2 players: each player has 21 turns
3: each player has 14 turns
4: each player has 10 turns

Winner: Player with the most points wins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Furr
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
An interesting varaint based on scoring. I think that's the first one I've seen. I'll have to give it a try. You outta post this on the Polarity website as well.

--
Mark Furr
Director of Player Services
Temple Games, Inc.
Mark@TempleGames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarifications:

Making a foundation: To make a legal foundation, you must cause the leaner to go flat and maintain the color of the foundation it had previously been leaning against. If the disc flips over to the other color, it's a fault.

Faults: If you succeed at doing something but cause any faults along the way, you score nothing for the successes and score only for the faults. In fact, the "succeeding" discs are considered to be involved in the fault for purposes of scoring and thus score against you.

Correcting Faults: After a fault, any disc involed in the fault that is now lying flat and untouched may be left as is, or picked up and moved (and flipped even). Same goes for any single clump of now upright otherwise untouched discs. But joined discs that are not altogether upright in single clump must be corrected.

In all cases, when correcting a fault, you may choose which side faces up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some answers I posted in reply at the Polarity site:

Regarding first/forth player disadvantage in scoring

Yes, it seems the first/forth player is often at a disadvantage. You can rotate the start player after each player takes a turn to counter this.

Regarding scoring a learner that leans against two foundations

As for leaning against two foundations, I'd give 4 points, plus any points for other discs already leaning on either foundation, just because leaning against two foundations looks so cool. But it's probably more fair just to give 2pts+.

So basically, I'd say go with what you like best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.