I had the opportunity to play Pax with
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
last night and he definitely schooled me on this fine game.

However, one question that came up during play was can you play black cards on yourself. Specifically can you play cards like #148 Disobedience of Generals which "lets you steal an opponent's troop by replacing his cube with yours" or #147, Banned Books which "lets you steal an opponents partner to your card row".

Does the word "opponent" imply you can't use it on yourself?

Does the fact that it amounts to a null action imply you can't use it on yourself?

Can you play black cards that simply say "assassinate a partner" on yourself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gehazi mann
msg tools
This should be spelled out clearly in the rules, under "Straw Man Actions"

If the card text refers to an opponent's X, you cannot play it on yourself; you are not your opponent.

If the card text simply refers to a partner, enterprise, etc. without reference to "opponent" you definitely can play it on yourself, and this can often be a very strong play.

It isn't the "null action" issue that's the problem, but the use of the word "opponent". There's at least one black card (don't know the name/number off the top of my head) that you can play at cost = your Rev points (zero if you have none), benefit = steal # gold (zero if targeting yourself, Straw Man rules specifically mention this), with the net result of turning the card upside down and collecting the Prestige Point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Freeman
Canada
Vancouver
B.C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure if it specifically states the word opponent you cannot use the card on yourself.

Also, it is legal and often beneficial to assassinate your own partners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. As expected, Martin had it right. The good news is I lost anyway even though he let me cheat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a fun game! Weirdly, I won on Outrage without playing any orange cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Gehazi, Rob, and Martin. The straw man rule (part J) states: "You cannot play against yourself a Black or Orange Card that specifies use against an opponent (e.g. conspiracies and Antitrust)." So the word "opponent" disqualifies the card from Straw Man actions against yourself. Note that the phrase "or Orange" in the above sentence was added in the living rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Centro Industrial? "Steal a Mexican Enterpise into your hand". It would seem a bit cheeky to take your own Enterprise back into your own hand and get a Revolution point for it. But stranger things have happened in this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
How about Centro Industrial? "Steal a Mexican Enterpise into your hand". It would seem a bit cheeky to take your own Enterprise back into your own hand and get a Revolution point for it. But stranger things have happened in this game

On a close reading of the rules, we decided this is perfectly allowable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.