Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I saw a thread some time ago where someone broke down the strength and weakness of each faction and corp with detailed information.

Primarily looking for the ICE/BREAKER matrix for the game..

Can some one point me to that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
This?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Killjoy
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you go to the "Files" section for Android: Netrunner here on BBG there are quite a few different files so you can find one that you like,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that helps a lot, thank you.
I was also looking for the write though as well. Some one explained in detail the Faction vs Corp meta matrix.(who is better against what and why)

Trying to improve my understanding of the strategy in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron s
msg tools
atraangelis wrote:
Yes that helps a lot, thank you.
I was also looking for the write though as well. Some one explained in detail the Faction vs Corp meta matrix.(who is better against what and why)

Trying to improve my understanding of the strategy in the game.

One of the big keys to understanding strategy in this game is you can not rely solely on numbers. It's not about finding the optimum corp or runner. It is about figuring out how to use the corp / runner that best fits your playstyle, plugging in a few holes with deckbuilding, and then...realizing that all of that goes out the window as soon as things don't go as planned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOOL... Been there on the "plans go to hell" part a lot!

Totally understand, i am trying to figure you what my real str and weakness is. I like playing Shapers. SO i kept getting waxed elsewhere. I nned to know why and how to avoid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron s
msg tools
atraangelis wrote:
LOOL... Been there on the "plans go to hell" part a lot!

Totally understand, i am trying to figure you what my real str and weakness is. I like playing Shapers. SO i kept getting waxed elsewhere. I nned to know why and how to avoid.

I haven't played Shapers much since I was learning the game. But that makes me think, before any of this, how often do you play a Corp?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time it my turn of course.
My favorite is Jenteki, Reminds me of ARASAKA from CPunk2020.

I some times play HB, they are neat as well. DOnt have alot of experience with NBN or WYL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron s
msg tools
Okay, I was just going to think that that would be the first thing to make sure.

I'm looking at the Shaper Deck. They're pretty well to do against NBN as you can have all the link strength in the world.

Perhaps in general it just needs some other powerful Icebreakers in there, something that can work well with Tinkering. Medium works well with The Makers Eye. And I have a feeling Stimhack could be a real good "Game ending" card since Shaper Icebreakers all have the "+1 strength until the end of the run."

Yea, I play Anarch a lot.

And if you don't have What Lies Ahead, Zu.13 and The Helpful AI are both great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a little more complicated than that. There are at least two ways to build every faction right now, and many factions can be built similarly to other factions. (There are Criminal and Shaper Special Order decks that are incredibly similar, for instance.)

Right now, you want to think about strategies, not factions.

Right now, Competitive Criminals and Shapers play very similarly, the only difference being that Criminal has a faster start, and Shaper has a stronger end. Anarch's weirder, their strength comes from their ability to do things very suddenly.

HB's a Super Server strategy. You beat it by having more money than they do.

Weyland's a slightly worse Super Server strategy with Scorched Earth. You beat it by not running into Scorched Earth and Archer, and having more money than they do. It's probably not worth playing the hate cards right now, it's not that hard to play around Scorched Earth, and it's not worth having dead cards in every other matchup.

NBN's not really competitively viable right now, but if it was it'd be a fast advance strategy you beat by keeping SanSan off the board. People occasionally try to build Scorched Earth NBN, but it's unusual and probably too greedy to be effective. That said, you might want to keep four cards in your hand if you're passing turn tagged. (Don't play Plascrete Carapace. Maybe play Crash Space or Decoy if you're Criminal, because those cards have some other applications.)

Jinteki's all about the tricks. They're soft to Expose effects unless they play Zaibatsu Loyalty, and their strength comes from the way they enable a skilled player to beat a less-skilled one almost without regard for the game's usual random elements. (Jinteki's very good at playing itself out of holes.) Run cautiously until you learn to read a bluff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron s
msg tools
I really don't see how NBN is not "competetively viable" right now. Perhaps the problem is trying to play it as "yet another Weyland" deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runner breaker strengths:

anarch = fracter > killer > decoder
criminal = killer > decoder > fracter
shaper = decoder > fracter > killer

corp ice strengths:

NBN = specialize in sentries. tag and trace focus.
Weyland = specialize in barriers. low on codegates. end-the-run and meat damage focus.
Jinteki = specialize in codegates. net damage focus.
HaasBioroid = bioroid ice specialty, which spans all 3 main ice types. brain damage and program destruction focus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok .. gonna show my noobness blush,

Whats a Fracter/Killer/decoder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question right now is "What does NBN do that makes them good?"

It's not their ID.
It's not the stopping power of their ice.
It's certainly not their economy.
In terms of building NBN like Weyland, or like the other super server strategies, it's just a mistake. They're better at it.

But what *are* the reasons to play NBN?

There are two of them, but neither strategy has quite the support it needs to make a consistent deck.

They have the ability to tag the runner more consistently than any other faction. However, in-faction the only cards that care about tags are Psychographics (Almost impossible to set up without scoring Restructured Datapool first, and if you can do that, why do you need a Psychographics?) and Closed Accounts (Which is, you know, all right.) Pulling in Scorched Earth costs you 12 influence, and that means you basically have to use the in-faction economy. Which is so bad you can barely pay to protect your central servers with ice. I firmly believe that pulling in Scorched Earth is a mistake.

Their biggest edge right now is SanSan City Grid, which I *do* think will one day be the cornerstone of a very powerful deck. However, they need another three-cost agenda to make it viable. Right now NBN still needs to run either Priority Requisition or Restructured Datapool, which makes the fast advance strategy pretty inconsistent, and at odds with the rest of what they can do. (There's no avoiding the tag parts of NBN, even if you don't want them. There just aren't enough cards to not play Data Ravens yet, and you're stuck with the Trace ID even though it does nothing for the Fast Advance strategy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fracters break Barriers.
Decoders break Code Gates.
Killers break Sentries.
AIs break everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron s
msg tools
brisingre wrote:
The question right now is "What does NBN do that makes them good?"

It's not their ID.
It's not the stopping power of their ice.
It's certainly not their economy.
In terms of building NBN like Weyland, or like the other super server strategies, it's just a mistake. They're better at it.

But what *are* the reasons to play NBN?

There are two of them, but neither strategy has quite the support it needs to make a consistent deck.

They have the ability to tag the runner more consistently than any other faction. However, in-faction the only cards that care about tags are Psychographics (Almost impossible to set up without scoring Restructured Datapool first, and if you can do that, why do you need a Psychographics?) and Closed Accounts (Which is, you know, all right.) Pulling in Scorched Earth costs you 12 influence, and that means you basically have to use the in-faction economy. Which is so bad you can barely pay to protect your central servers with ice. I firmly believe that pulling in Scorched Earth is a mistake.

Their biggest edge right now is SanSan City Grid, which I *do* think will one day be the cornerstone of a very powerful deck. However, they need another three-cost agenda to make it viable. Right now NBN still needs to run either Priority Requisition or Restructured Datapool, which makes the fast advance strategy pretty inconsistent, and at odds with the rest of what they can do. (There's no avoiding the tag parts of NBN, even if you don't want them. There just aren't enough cards to not play Data Ravens yet, and you're stuck with the Trace ID even though it does nothing for the Fast Advance strategy.)

Psychographics isn't that hard to set up at all. Score Breaking News, use Psychographics, score Breaking news again (of course it isn't that much harder to replace this with AutoScript Pilot Program Data Raven easily adds one more tag), or Ghost Branch can add a number of tags if you have the time and the money.

Restructured Datapool is a pretty big deal, its basically Traces on demand, and currently you get two credits for traces. So Restructured Datapool basically gives you as many Trace4s as you want. Hell, Biotic Labor + Restructured Datapool and you can start piling them on.

Anyway, this is all tangential to the point. Sure you can fast advance some things, but I don't think that is the point of NBN.

The point of NBN is to constantly put the runner on their backfoot. With the other corps, the damage they inflict is often incidental. With NBN you can begin to reach out and grab them. Granted that the trace game is not quite where it should be yet, but NBN will only become more powerful as more rules surrounding traces happen. Lets also not forget that Freelancer is in the next data pack (price: 0, Trash up to 2 resources if the runner is tagged)

Like Jinteki, NBN requires some out of the box thinking. If the runner can't also think out of the box, then 90% of the time, the corp has the game in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.