Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you don't need tweezers to play the game, it is not a wargame!
mb
(Updated 12/18/2016)

Greetings Y'all:

I like to play the old wargames, such as those made by Avalon Hill, SPI, and GDW. I also play other wargames, too. It seems that many wargamers are playing online (via Vassel) or in their homes (meeting via the Internet). It is great how the Internet has kept our hobby alive.

However, I miss the weekly meetings and the social interactions with wargamers. I enjoy the hub bub of my fellow gamers fighting on adjacent tables. So, I am looking for some wargame opponents to play in the public venues in Orange County that are available.

These include:

Game clubs
Game stores
College Student Unions
Coffee Shops

The wargames I want to play are listed in "Want To Play" in my profile. This is just a starter list. These are games I have played. There are a zillion more I am willing to play (wargames - ignore the Eurogames listed).

I prefer to have an opponent and game lined up before I show up at a local gaming session as they tend to play mainly miniatures and Eurogames. Places I like to play:

-----------------------------------------------

Second Saturday of each month (8 am to 10 pm) and the Friday Night before (Noon to 9 pm). This is my Flagship meeting. I will do a review about it later. They have lots and lots of room. If you want and have a large set up, you can set up Friday night for a game on Saturday.

Knights of Columbus Auditorium
1127 N. Anaheim Blvd.
Anaheim, CA

The rest of the Saturdays I like to play at Brookhurst Hobbies (10 am to 10 pm). They have a game room next to their store that is really, really nice. I will also do a review about this venue. It is in the middle of the county, which makes it a nice centralized meeting place.

Brookhurst Hobbies
12188 Brookhurst Street
Garden Grove, CA

They are open 7 days a week and I play on other days, too. Being a store, they do have special events and meetings for their products. But, it has not been a problem. Also, they charge $3.00 a day to play there, which is well worth it with the high quality of this game room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Looking For Wargame Opponents in Orange County
Hi!

This:
2/2/2013 Saturday Noon - 6pm sharp (OCBG)
Haskett Branch Library
2650 W Broadway, Anaheim, CA

Will actually be at Brookhurst Hobbies, and you can play beyond 6. This is an OCBG event, though. (The Haskett library changed policies, so the group had to move the event.) There are actually quite a number of wargamers in OCBG, but like you, they don't come out of the woodwork without an arranged game.

For Brookhurst Hobbies events, see:
http://www.meetup.com/Brookhurst-Gamers/
Naturally, they're a little more oriented toward minis and CCGs that they can sell product for.

I notice Brookhurst Hobbies doesn't have anything scheduled on Mondays or Thursdays. You should call and check, but I expect they would be happy to have you play there on those days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Enjoyed playing 2 games of War At Sea (L2 version) at Card Addiction on Friday night, 1/11/2013.

This game continues to amaze me with its intricate strategy.

Played 2 games in about 5 hours.

Happy wargaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Enjoyed playing a game of Axis & Allies - Pacific at Card Addiction Friday night, 1/18/2013.

This was my first time. Lots of fun. Fascinating game. The Allies must protect India and Australia until the USA comes to take out Japan. Conversely, Japan must take out India or the capitol of Australia or simply last long enough to tire the Allies.

Lasted about 4 hours.

Happy wargaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Had fun at the El Toro Library, Saturday, 1/26/2013. Played 2 wargames.

First we played the block game 1812.

Second, we played Victory In The Pacific:

Happy wargaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Played Soldier Kings (Avalanche Press) Friday night (2/1/13) at Card Addiction.

Although the rules are very poorly written, there is an interesting game here. We are going to play again next week.

Besides a multiplayer 7 year game (28 turns), there are 7 1 year scenarios (4 turns each). The first one (Prussia vs. Austria) is an excellent learning scenario. We will play the next scenario next week which is 2 major countries vs. 3 major countries.

It takes a bit of getting used to. There are no "fronts," a la WW2. Armies can march around with almost impunity. It does show a lot about troop quality. You need high quality troops to attack with serious casualties. However, you need lots of low quality troops for garrisons.

You really have to plan. It costs a lot of money to attack and money is scarce. You also have a short campaign season as winter can be brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Friday night (2/8) we played another scenario of Soldier Kings at Card Addiction. This looks like a great game for 7 players who are willing to put in a couple of 12 hour days. Until then, it is back to 2-player games.

Happy wargaming!

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Saturday (2/23) we played GDW's Citadel: The Battle of Dien Bien Phu. It is about a 56 turn game and we only played 1 turn in 4 hours (2 hours to set it up). However, it has a nice learning curve. It only takes 1-3 turns to learn to play. It is actually a quite simple game. But, it is very chess-like. You don't have to worry about all kinds of rules. As the Vietminh you can concentrate on correctly coordinating your infantry, heavy weapons (requires ammo), 82mm Mortars (free ammo), anti-aircraft cover, and your trenchworks.

This game will be one of my top choices if I ever go to a monster con.

We played at El Toro Library (Thank you, Walt).

There is still live gaming of wargames in Orange county.

Happy wargaming!

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Friday, 3/1, played Fortress America at Card Addiction in Fullerton.

The tension in this game is amazing. Things look hopeless and you start thinking you may as well resign. Then, the Invaders pass their High Water Mark and you have victory well in hand.

Wolverines!

Happy wargaming in Orange County!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Played 2 games Friday night (3/8/2013) at Card Addiction.

First we played Axis & Allies 1941. This is a newer version of AAA that could be called AAA Light. It is designed to introduce new players to AAA. However, it has some charms of its own. It plays faster. The very low income for each player and the fact that factories are limited to those printed on the board really necessitate precise moves.

With some time left I played a game of Kingsburg. On the last die roll to see how many troops the King would send to help defend against the Barbarians, I needed to roll 1-4 on 1d6 to win the game (tie). I rolled a 5 . . . Aaaaaaahhh!

Overall, fun was had by all.

Happy wargaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
We played War at Sea (second edition) at St Crispin's Hobby Day in Anaheim on Saturday, 3/9/2013.

We both played conservatively and things were close the first 6 turns. Allies played a Med variation. Major action on turn 7 decided the game. Tense fun!

Happy wargaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W B McCarty
United States
Brea
CA
flag msg tools
Mike, I've been making the rounds, from the El Toro library (in El Toro, of course) to Hi De Ho Comics (in Santa Monica). But all I see on tables are eurogames. Has your wargame itch been scratched? Can you point me to a scratching place?

I'm at the point of declining to play eurogames. I don't wish to be impolite. But I rarely enjoy them and there simply aren't enough hours in my week for me to waste even one of them playing games that don't really satisfy. On one occasion I managed to join an ad hoc group's annual (that's right, annual) game of Kingmaker. But, otherwise, I haven't even seen a wargame--on the table or otherwise--in the context of traveling from south Orange County to north Los Angeles County. I feel like Rommel in Africa: Where's the watering hole?

Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Back into wargaming starting in November (2016). Contact me if interested. I already have games of 1776, Citadel, Axis & Allies 1940 Global, and maybe Imperium (original) set up for the next couple of months. Room for more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve v
United States
California
flag msg tools
hi Mike (and anyone else interested),
I have a group that play wargames (currently 4 of us), all kinds of avalon hill, decision, gmt games (currently playing Triumph of Chaos).

I also have a group that plays less wargamy games (but beefier games than Eurogames), like Rebellion, Pandemic Legacy, Firefly, Forbidden Stars.

I have lots of time for games and am looking to play more, so am reaching out to more people. If interested, you can email me at shoak1@yahoo.com (Steve)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

Saturday (11/12/2016), at St. Crispin's Irregulars, we played Axis & Allies, 1940, Global. Whew! That was a lot of work. It was a learning experience for me. Overall, I think it is a great game.

https://www.meetup.com/stcrispins/events/234679532/

Jaysun is making a great version of the game. The board is framed, the pieces are being painted, and the cardboard counters are being replaced with plastic pieces.

Pacific side:

We played a few turns so I could get the feel. It was a tense game before the Axis were victorious.

European side:

We plan to play some more. First, we will play the Pacific side, then the European side, and then back to the Global game, maybe playing 2 - 4 turns per session. Turns 1 - 4 get all the countries involved (USA on turn 3 and Russia on turn 4). Turns 5+ then decide a winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Friday (11/11/2016), at St. Crispin's Irregulars - Hobby Day Eve, we played GDW's Imperium.

https://www.meetup.com/stcrispins/events/234835708/

We got in one war. The Empire lost due to repeated requests from the Emperor. This actually good for the Empire player as he gets a full income during the peace, while the Terran (winner) only gets half. Peace was 4 turns long (3 + 1).

This game is nice in that you can play one war a night until the game is over. It took us about 4 - 5 hours for the first war and we wrote our positions down at the end. We are ready to start the next war, next time we play, probably next Hobby Day Eve, next month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Wed., 11/24:

Meetup Group: So Cal Game Connection
Event: Games Gathering
Where: Shuffle & Cut game store, La Habra, CA

We got in 3 games of Avalon Hill's Up Front.

Wow. I need to practice my camera skills. Anyway, we played 3 games. The picture shows the final position of the Americans winning the first scenario (Meeting of Patrols) vs the Russians (we randomly rolled for armies and side.) The game ended in the middle of the first deck with 4 Americans at range 4.

We switched sides and played City Fight (second scenario.) The Americans won on points (18 - 13) after 3 decks.

Then we played Japanese vs British in Meeting of Patrols, again. The Japanese won on the second deck with 4 Japanese at range 4. The Japanese made 1 banzai attack, the most fun thing to do in Up Front.

We were both rusty in the game mechanics and look forward to future scenarios.

Shuffle & Cut game store has a couple of really nice game rooms and they have nice restrooms. They appear to have a pretty complete collection of Eurogames. I purchased 7 Wonders Duel while I was there.

Lots of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just note that a lot of the information from 2013 is no longer accurate.

So Cal Game Connection is here:
http://www.meetup.com/So-Cal-Game-Connection/

Orange County Board Gamers (OCBG) is here:
http://boardgames.meetup.com/40/

A lot of game stores also have meetups, though they sometimes aren't kept up to date. Sometimes it's obvious, like not cancelling an event on Thanksgiving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
On 11/26 we started a game of Axis & Allies 1940 Pacific at Comic Quest in El Toro.

The Japanese invaded China, blocking out the sun with their airpower.

Meanwhile, the Japanese fleet headed south conquering the Philippines and Indonesia and threatening India.

The US responded by rushing aid to Australia.

The Japanese conquer China and SE Asia and prepare to conquer India. The Japanese income is around 60 IPC's, outproducing the US.

The US takes tha Marianas threatening Japan. Japan defends the home islands, so the US invades China.

The US fleet is wiped out. Another US fleet is wiped out in taking Korea. So, at the cost of the US fleet, China and Southeast Asia are liberated and Japan's air power has been whittled down.

Meanwhile, Japan took Alaska and the Aleutians. The US destroyed the invading fleet and have retaken Alaska.

At this point we recorded our positions and put it away. To be continued . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Played the first 15 months of Avalon Hill's 1776 at St. Crispin's Irregulars' Hobby Day on 12/10/2016:

https://www.meetup.com/stcrispins/events/234139207/

We had lots of fun. We used all the optional rules, except decoys for the Tory Militia because the backs of the counters were different. We will use them next time. We will continue the game at the next St. Crispin's meeting, 1/14/2016.

By the end of the year, the British had an objective town in each of the 4 areas.

In the southern 2 areas, They had 1 town in each area. The Continentals still had Charslton, so no British bonus for that town.

In the north, the British had complete control of the Middle States after victories at Ft. Stanwyx and Ticonderoga. No Sarasota disaster this war. All 3 Indians were activated.

The British have 1 town in New England,

while the Continental army wintered in Boston drinking tea.

In the first quarter of 1776, the Continentals liberated a town in the middle states. Both generals are pondering their next moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Played Avalon Hill's Starship Troopers and Up Front at T.G.I.F. Boardgames at Brookhurst Hobbies on Friday, 12/16/2016:

https://www.meetup.com/Brookhurst-Gamers/events/235851025/

The Mobile Infantry successfully terrorized the skinnies in the Basic version of Scenario 1. Then, the Skinnies succeeded in delaying the Mobile Infantry's mission in the second attempt:

(Starship Troopers, Scenario 1, Basic - Skinnies braced for invasion. The Mobile Infantry ran out of time and the skinnies mocked them as they ran away. )

After those two games, we played a game of Up Front. The Americans captured a Pillbox full of German Schnapps. The British heard about it and demanded a share. The Americans refused and a fracas ensued.

With 6 of 10 American defenders gone, the Americans break and flee leaving the pillbox full of Schnapps for the victorious British.

Next session the Arachnids appear (Queue dramatic music) in Scenario 2, Basic version. And, of course, more Up Front!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
On Saturday, 12/17/2016, we finished our game of Axis & Allies 1940 Pacific at Saturday Board-games at Brookhurst at Brookhurst Hobbies:

https://www.meetup.com/Brookhurst-Gamers/events/236182035/

The Japanese fleet has been whittled away, as has their air force. A big battle in the Sea of Japan finished off the Japanese fleet leaving China and the Dutch East Indies ripe for invasion. After that, Japan surrendered.

Next time we switch sides and play again. Whoo-hoo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had a great time Mike! Took some lumps and that game of Up Front was a real test of endurance. We spent a full deck or more at RR5. Some very heavy attacks where we both always seemed to have the concealed or Rally card to withstand it. Finally the pressure became too much and the Yanks gave up the booze, though they blamed the loss on having drank too much of it! I'm really looking forward to more action. Starship Troopers was also a lot of fun. I did manage to find every single one of your dummy installations...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys!

I'm also an OCBG member and regular at Rick's on Tues and at The Duck Club. I've been wanting to get some old school games going more often which may be more difficult as the Duck Club event is changing days and hours.

But I've always wondered about other wargamers in the area. I went by the Anaheim event once but it seems more like miniatures and some other games so I haven't returned. I'll pay more attention if I know some like minded folk will be there.

I have several oldies though I'm not up to speed on the rules for most of them. I'd also like to get some multiplayer oldies like Civilization and Kremlin going if we can ever get 6 or 7 folk together.

Are there regular players at the St Crispin events now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I will look at your game list on your profile and PM you.

The Anaheim event (St. Crispin's at the Knights of Columbus) has decreased since the opening of the new game room at Brookhurst hobbies. The Eurogamers and role players left. The miniatures' players are still there, since there is so much room. I like it as a once a month venue out of tradition. I consider it my "flagship" venue.

As far as the old grognard games from such companies as Avalon Hill, SPI, and GDW and the newer games such as block games, CDG's, etc., they are welcome anywhere. The problem is finding opponents. It is a slow process building up a little black book of opponents. The few such gamers around tend to play on the internet with vassel or in their household game rooms and basements. I prefer the hub bub of public venues.

Getting multiple gamers together for Civilization, etc. is what conventions are used for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.