Subject: Some specific questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daen Dubrulle
Belgium
Limburg
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,

today I got my copy of this Halo Risk edition (was very excited about it (waited for nearly 2 hours in front of my window looking for the delivery truck)).
I read the rules 3 times (as a nerdy guy I am), but some (tiny, probably easy) rules are not very clear to me. They may seem very clear to you, but this is the first Risk edition I have, so I didn't know any general Risk rules at all. Now, here are my questions (I hope someone is able to answer them):

btw, the manual was the same as the pdf in this link:
http://www.usaopolygames.com/rules/HALO%20RISK%20Rules_low.p...

Campaign Cards

The manual states numerous times that after a player finishes his attacking stage, he may collect a campaign card if eligible. I checked the 'campaign card' section, but I can't find anything that says you may collect a campaign card. So I thought, what if, for any reason, you are not able anymore to finish a campaign objective? Is it then that you can draw another campaign card? That would seem logic to me, but since it wasn't mentioned in the manual, I'm not sure about it.

In the One-On-One version, all campaign cards with the 2 dots in the lower left-hand corner have to be removed from the deck. I checked it, but there is only one card with no dots on easy, heroic difficulty and 3-4 on legendary difficulty. So I guess the cards with no dots are the cards that have to be removed, not the cards with the dots. Correct?

In the 'Campaign Card' section: 'To win a Slayer or One-On-One game, the player must achieve 3 campaign cards to win'. The Slayer gametype doesn't use the campaign cards. I guess this is a mistake. It should say Objective instead of Slayer, right?

Tanks and bases

What is the use of the figures that resemble 3 units (the tanks, wraiths and carrier form)? Are they special, or just ornaments? And can you swap 3 marines for a tank at anytime you want (because the space on the territory is too small for example)? Again, this is the first Risk game I have, so this may seem obvious for you.

There were 15 city-like structures in the game. The manual didn't mention them. In the manual of the Halo Wars Risk game, they are mentioned. It are colonies, randomly placed on the map, that give one extra unit during your reinforcement phase. Can you also use them in this Risk game, or would they be too powerful?

Faction Cards

I don't get this sentence of the manual (p.8):
' If a player uses a defensive card ability after you declare an invasion, the attacker must commit the maximum possible troops for one roll. If he or she wishes to stop afterwards, they may.'

There are two Flood faction cards with this effect:
'Play after an opponent declares an invasion against you, but before dice are rolled, up to 3 attacking units' I don't get that either (especially the last part)

Teleporters

When playing on the Ring Map, there has to be placed a teleporter between Inland Canyon and Pulse Grid 1. But if you play with 5 players, and every player has to place a pair of teleporters, the 5th player can't because his pair is already placed. What to do with this rule?

Okay, I know this was a lot of text, but I wanted to explain my thoughts about it to see if they were correct. If you know only one answer to a quesion, please tell me. I don't want to start a game if I do not know the rules 100%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning Campaign Cards:

(A) By "collecting" them, I believe it just means that when you finish one of the three you started with, you add it visibly to your area, or in their verbiage "collect" it, as a finished goal. You definitely don't want to add more, though! I think it was just a poor choice of words in the rulebook.

(B) And we ran into the same problem with the "dots" in 2 player mode. Best I can tell, you "remove" the ones with dots in order to use only them and not the others. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. Again, just a poor choice of words.

Tanks & Bases

(A) You're right, it's really a game of individual units. The smallest pieces are one unit, and the larger ones represent three units (or three smaller pieces). So yes, you can totally swap them out.

(B) Not sure about the city like structures. I know each faction has a base, but it's just one. I seem to recall reading that some copies had extra pieces added in from the earlier Halo collector's edition (that is a completely different Risk game). Mine didn't come with those, so maybe you got lucky and got some extra pieces to fiddle about with.
EDIT---And, that these extras were a mistake.

Faction

(A) Yeah there are some cards that you can play when attacked. I think that odd sentence is basically saying that, should you surprise your attacker with a defensive faction card, then they can't weasel out of their attack and only send one unit or something like that. They have to go forward with a strong attack and suffer the consequences, but they don't have to keep attacking after the first one.

(B)Not sure about the flood card. That sounds weird! (we haven't used that faction yet, well only in 2 player mode).

Teleporters
I'm interested to see what others say about this one. My guess is that he simply doesn't get to play them.

Sorry I couldn't answer more, but hopefully my answers (or interpretation of the rules lol) are helpful. Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daen Dubrulle
Belgium
Limburg
flag msg tools
Thank you for the quick reply sir. Your aswers really helped me.
About the campaign cards with the dots: in my rulebook the sentence is:

Remove all the Campaign cards with the “••” symbol (blablabla)

However, in the rulebook online (the pdf-link in my question section), it is:

Remove and use all the Campaign cards with the “••” symbol.

No idea why they left out the most important word of that sentence.

No problem about the other questions . If nobody else finds the answer, I will mail USAopoly. Maybe they can help me.

My friends and I played a game yesterday, and we encountered a few other problems:

There is an EASY campaign card with this objective:

'Campaign complete if you conquer a region occupied by more than 1 opponent when your turn began'

Does that mean that in your turn, you have to gain control over a region (all territories of 1 color) that was occupied by at least 2 other players? That doesn't sound EASY to me.

The same, but reversed: a LEGENDARY objective: 'Campaign complete if you control 2 regions at the start of your turn.' Sounds too easy.

Maybe me and my friends had a bad strategy, but everyone controlled 2 regions after placing the starting units. Do professional Risk players prevent each other from having regions in the beginning? Me and my friends did the opposite.
We all had our regions. However, during the 'placing starting units' phase, a friend almost had a complete region, but I placed a unit on the only territory that was left of that color, but he slammed me, so I took it back, thinking it is 'not fair' stealing a region. Of course I realized later on that this game is all about stealing and backstabbing. And my single unit wouldn't have survived the region battle anyway.

I also have some general attack question:
Let's say I have a territory ,with 10 units on it, adjacent to 2 enemy controlled territories (with each 1 unit for example). I attack one of the enemy territories, winning the battle and leaving the enemy with no units left. I can move units into the new territory. I move 4 units to there.

- Can I attack with my first territory (now with 6 units) the second territory. So basically, can a territory attack again if it already won a battle and place units?

- Can I attack with my new territory (the territory that belonged to the enemy before). So basically, can a territory you just conquered attack again in the same turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dubbie wrote:

I also have some general attack question:
Let's say I have a territory ,with 10 units on it, adjacent to 2 enemy controlled territories (with each 1 unit for example). I attack one of the enemy territories, winning the battle and leaving the enemy with no units left. I can move units into the new territory. I move 4 units to there.

- Can I attack with my first territory (now with 6 units) the second territory. So basically, can a territory attack again if it already won a battle and place units?

- Can I attack with my new territory (the territory that belonged to the enemy before). So basically, can a territory you just conquered attack again in the same turn?

First, yes, we agree that not all easy cards are the same amount of "easy," and the same goes with the heroic and legendary ones. I'm still not sure if that's a positive or negative. I know in one 2p session my son won by beating all my units. He said afterwards that his campaign objectives were so hard that he wasn't even going to try and win that way unless the objectives sort of fell in his lap! I think this could be a good thing b/c it may mean in a session that people are trying to win by different means (either wiping out all units or by fulfilling campaign objectives) and, no one knows what those means are at first

About the attack specifics quoted above:
Yes to both of those. If you have 10 and beat a territory, you can even distribute units (let's say 5 and 5, or 6 and 4) and then attack again with both the original and the newly conquered territory. And it keeps going---if they win new territories, those new ones and the two old ones can attack after you distribute units to the new ones. Of course, strategy often suggests not getting overextended, but yes, a newly conquered territory can attack in that same turn.

Hope that's helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daen Dubrulle
Belgium
Limburg
flag msg tools
Thank you very much. Everything is clear now. Thanks for being so helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.