Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Trait-based Rolls... I Think I'm Mucking It Up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
solipsist gaming
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game calls for a Trait based roll, can I make the roll even if no one in my group has the trait?

I realize that for specific Events, the entry may explicitly require a certain Trait. Same for Actions (like Research). If not however, do I just roll and add 0 since the character doesn't possess the Trait. It doesn't make sense to me that a character would have to possess Running in order to attempt to flee, but it does make sense that having the trait would give an advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still attempt the roll even if no one has the Trait. Each instance of the Trait would add +1 to the roll, making it more likely that you will succeed, but often you can still get lucky.

For example, if you need to making a Running 9 roll, you would normally need to roll a 9 or better to succeed. If your Doctor has Running 2, though, then you get an automatic +2 to your roll. Rolling 7+ is MUCH easier than rolling 9+!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, OK thank you! Makes a lot more sense.

I was playing it the other way and my adventures were pretty tough, with people constantly dying from diseases/poisons and not running from threats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Norrington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I asked a similar question on the Yahoo group for the game.

My Question "My Doctor has developed the E196 Neutrino Catalyser. To use this requires a Marksman 7 roll. What happens if none of the characters in my party don't have Marksman? Have I developed a weapon that no-one can use? Is there a roll I take (at a penalty) to make up for not having a trait? IE I might not be a marksman but I can point the Neutrino Catalyser at the enemy and press the button/pull trigger etc?"

The answer was "sorry, you need Marksman..."

So it looks like you need to have the trait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm, I think I disagree on the answer you got from the Yahoo group.

e194. Medical Kit states: "(Equipment) Any Character with can use the kit to cure a Character that has a Wound by making a Medicine 6 roll. To cure a Seriously Wounded Character you must have Medicine and make a Medicine 9 roll."

Also, even more pertinent, e197. Sonic Blaster states: "(Equipment) This is a small, but very powerful digital weapon from the fifty first century. Only a Marksman may use the blaster" (my emphasis).

Conversely, e196. Neutrino Catalyser states simply: "(Equipment) When you first find this weapon, name an Enemy (non Human) race. Before each round of combat make a Marksman 7 roll to destroy 1 Enemy of that race."

So unless there is an unintended omission in the e196 entry, I would say that anyone can use that weapon. And in general, anyone can perform a Trait roll unless the event (or Action) specifically mandates a certain level of Traits. The Medical Kit example looks like a good one to demonstrate this. Anyone, even those without Medicine, can use it to make a Medicine roll. But to cure Seriously Wounds the event explicitly requires the character to have the Medicine Trait.

By the way; totally unrelated but I'm going to hijack my own post in order to not clutter up the forum with new threads... How does one fight the Gelth? Psychic combat uses the Bravery Quality (in this case) but according to the rulebook "Any Wounds inflicted in these types of combat still affect the Brawn of the losing Character however." The Gelth are not Characters, but I assume the rules cover all combatants uniformly. So if a Gelth in wraith form (Brawn 0) takes a wound in psychic combat, what happens? Instant destruction, or -2 to Bravery?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Norrington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I think there's a word missing from e194 . I think it should read it "Any Character with Medicine can use the kit".

I do think a character should be allowed to attempt a trait roll irrespective of whether they have that trait. If they do have the trait then it adds to the roll. As I said in my previous comment "Have I developed a weapon that no-one can use?". With this tweak it would address my final statement of "I might not be a marksman but I can point the Neutrino Catalyser at the enemy and press the button/pull trigger etc?".

As for the Gelth, I would say ask on the Yahoo group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch there!

I thought the intent of the Medical Kit was maybe to allow non-Medicine characters to heal wounds, but you're right: it looks like there's a word missing. The intent is probably to make the healing roll easier at a 6 vs. a 9.

Thanks for the tip; I'll check out the Yahoo Group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
e194. Medical Kit
(Equipment) Any Character with can use the kit to cure a Character that has a Wound by making a Medicine 6 roll. To cure a Seriously Wounded Character you must have Medicine and make a Medicine 9 roll. After each attempt roll 1D6 and on a result of 6 then you have exhausted the medical kit of drugs.

I believe the "with" may be left over from the pre sept 2010 revision. IIRC the medical kit is for all characters to use to heal wounds.

In the above event quote you can see that you need to have the Medicine trait if you want to use the Medical Kit to heal a Serious Wounds. Logically you wouldn't need that trait for the normal wound part if it says you do for the seriously wound part.

Am I correct in saying most traits roll can be made without having the trait but you are more likely to succeed if you do have the required traits. A Marksman roll is different, you need the trail to use the weapon let alone make the roll.

Is this the case Simon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nozza_uk wrote:
I asked a similar question on the Yahoo group for the game.

My Question "My Doctor has developed the E196 Neutrino Catalyser. To use this requires a Marksman 7 roll. What happens if none of the characters in my party don't have Marksman? Have I developed a weapon that no-one can use? Is there a roll I take (at a penalty) to make up for not having a trait? IE I might not be a marksman but I can point the Neutrino Catalyser at the enemy and press the button/pull trigger etc?"

The answer was "sorry, you need Marksman..."

So it looks like you need to have the trait.

I think you need to have Marksman to use ranged weapons such as the Neutrino Catalyser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahem...

I think I've caused a hoo-ha here by a simple mistake (plus my revision of the combat system a while back).

Firstly, the medical kit event needs overhauling (as does the rad kit one) as now there's no such thing as Serious Wounds...

My mistake was to read what you had written rather than read the event book itself. You wrote 'to use this requires..' for the catalyser, so my answer was 'yes, you need it'.

But checking the event, this is not how it's worded.

So, by the way it is written (and by my default setting) the answer is no, you don't need Marksman to use the catalyser

Sorry about the confusion.

PS when fighting the Gelth, now the combat system has been revised (and Enemy entries have been updated), Gelth are troops - so 1 hit will kill them.

1 function of the Wiki will be to have access to updated material instantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Norrington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry for the misquote on the Yahoo group that caused the misunderstanding.

So if I understand this correctly, if I encounter a Trait roll, anyone in the group can attempt the roll unless otherwise directed by the event text?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.