Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Hook
United States
Neverland
flag msg tools
Where's the carpet, Smee?
badge
Death is the only adventure you have left!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and it has already been mentioned elsewhere, but I figured the official announcement deserved its own thread:

http://www.aresgames.eu/6749

For those of you who bought it just for the purpose of reselling it to a CE owner for a profit: shake That's not very nice! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was really quick. Glad I got my copy. There are sure to be some unhappy campers out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mandingoman wrote:
There are sure to be some unhappy campers out there.

You bet. At least now I know that there was a preorder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
randall fischer

Warren
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The print run of 500 was just rubbish. I found out there was a preorder pretty much at the same time it sold out. I've been watching this like a hawk, but they release on the one day I'm flying home. The thing that chaos my ass is that there is a 100% chance that at least 50 of these have been bought up for the purpose of reselling. So, now I'll be in the club that actually has a CE and will now get to fork over 2-300 bucks for this because Ares decided not to take preorders, THEN go to print. I mean seriously...500 copies. They should've done 1000. There are virtually zero people who will pay 400 and up for a game that won't pay $50 for an expansion. The fact it sold out in a day proves that 500 was entirely too low a production number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hook
United States
Neverland
flag msg tools
Where's the carpet, Smee?
badge
Death is the only adventure you have left!
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaplainCassius wrote:
The fact it sold out in a day proves that 500 was entirely too low a production number.

I appreciate the sentiment entirely. As Roberto pointed out, however, the compromise for this limited edition run was that they were using surplus sets and painting them without producing any more. I'm not quite sure what the rationale is behind not producing more to meet demand. Possibilities I've thought of include, in order of most likely:

1. The cost of another run would make it cost-ineffective to produce more.

2. There's no interest on the part of the producers to make more, even if they could make a marginal profit.

3. There aren't enough interested buyers beyond the 500 to warrant making another run.

Either way, it seems their initial stance is to not produce any more. I personally doubt they'll change their position, however they may decide there are enough people out there that are interested enough to buy it to make it worth while. One can always hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atticus Gifford
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the possibility of an additional run was left open in the event of overwhelming demand, although I can't find the original quote there. I'd say there exists a non-negligible chance of a reprint at some point given the rapid sell-out.

I would also say that there is a good opportunity here for a painter to make some quick bucks offering to paint the minis to match the now-released images of the Limited edition. For someone who had a bit of skill, I bet it wouldn't be too difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaplainCassius wrote:
The fact it sold out in a day proves that 500 was entirely too low a production number.
Two days. You had an extra day to have gotten it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now they know there is a market for a painted set, lets hope they provide more oppportunity to get the next expansion in this form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a bummer. I would have thought they would have at least matched the run of CE that was done. Making this pre order less of a run that the CE just does not make sense. I was lucky enough to pre order it but not for purpose of resale. I am going to play this sucker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
5th May 2018
badge
Guh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Disapointed that I missed them here as well. Been following the threads on this forum since the possibility was first put foward and it comes on sale during the 4 day period I am without Internet for the entire year. Hopefully they can manage another small print run in the future as I am sure the demand is there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there any information on when this would be ready/shipping?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to scoop one up. I dont own CE (would love to purchase at reasonable price), but own 2ed which i do play whenever possible, and which has been painted.

Now folks are talking about this expansion as though it should be side by side with a CE. But i thought it was the 2ed expansion though right? Or i guess it could technically be used with either i suppose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:

But i thought it was the 2ed expansion though right?

This is the limited edition of the 2nd edition expansion. There were other copies that were non painted and without the treebeard promo (as I understand it). This limited edition was the way to get a copy that matched the CE's paint job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...that matched the ce paint job. Got it, that makes sense, thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:
Was there any information on when this would be ready/shipping?

There still is: "The Limited Edition of Lords of Middle-earth is expected to ship to customers in late March 2013 (actual date may change)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is B.S. Why only 500 copies? I was totally unaware of it until now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
randall fischer

Warren
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If by "two days", you really mean "I have no idea what Im talking about," then yeah.

I was headed home from Holiday travels the day it went on sale at 11am local. By the time I got in the following day, and went to purchase it at 6pm local, it had sold out. I guess 7 hours equals a day in your world, but it doesnt mine.

My point still stands. The fact that it sold out in 30 something hours means that demand outstripped supply, thus more units should have been offered, or set a 30 day preorder window to better guage demand and also announce the day it would be going on sale. It wouldve allowed ample time for everyone who wanted one to get one, and not penalize the folks who dont camp their computer for a game expansion with an unknown release date that sold out in a da...oh, excuse me, 30 something hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaplainCassius wrote:
If by "two days", you really mean "I have no idea what Im talking about," then yeah.
Nope, didn't mean that at all. But feel free to continue to snark away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth: sorry that you weren't able to get one. I fully agree with the sentiment that 500 was too few (considering there's 2,000 CEs out there, and this probably has been snapped up by some that don't have a CE because it is a dang nice edition!)
Roberto has said that there is a very small chance this gets a follow up (re-print if you will) if demand was overwhelming. I don't see how much more overwhelming demand could have been, and a second offering of another 500, or even 1,000, would not be amiss. I hope for everyone that didn't get one that this happens.

For the future, I would love it if Ares would allow CE owners to sign up with them. We all have a unique numbered copy. That way, CE offerings of future expansions can be offered to CE owners first. If this is too complicated to manage for Ares, I gladly offer my services to maintain a register of CEs for this purpose. I just shudder to think of the day I will get caught with two days of no internet access and a CE expansion coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Print run of the Limited Edition of Lords of Middle-earth extended to 1000 copies:

http://www.aresgames.eu/6761
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaplainCassius wrote:

...oh, excuse me, 30 something hours.

For those who care about such things it was 33 hours according to the Ares website.

http://www.aresgames.eu/6761
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I have to set my alarm clock and camp for it. Damn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, is it that if i want the german Version i have to wait till it will be announced at Heidelberger Spieleverlag?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
TylerDax wrote:
So, is it that if i want the german Version i have to wait till it will be announced at Heidelberger Spieleverlag?

Yes, I hope that happens soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.