4 Posts

U.S.A. Trivia» Forums » Reviews

Subject: It's almost like America Stopped in 1989 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Generic Pseudonym
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve had this game longer than any other game, and it has no reviews. I decided to write one, you clicked on it, and here we are!

This is the fourth review in the series.

Components: 7/10
Theme: GREAT! (If you like history, and I do.)
Gameplay: History Channel
Analysis Paralysis: 1/5
Player Interaction: Questions and answers
Fun: It totally depends

Components

Not much here to complain or rave about. You have a board with a representation of America on it, 600 cards each with five questions on them, a rules sheet with images of presidents Washington through George H.W. Bush, a die and a few player pieces.

Theme
Same as the title.

Gameplay
Gameplay is pretty straightforward. You answer a question, the difficulty of which is derived from the color of the state you’re on (red, yellow, green, blue, and purple – easiest to hardest). If you answer correctly you roll the die, move your piece forward and your turn is done. You then ask your opponent a question.

Just ‘cause a question is red, though, doesn’t mean it’s easy . . .
Just ‘cause a question is purple, though, doesn’t mean it’s hard . . .

Analysis Paralysis
Not much. You might spend some time debating the answer to a question, but that’s about it.

Player Interaction
Some questions lead to a lot of discussion between you and the others playing, but that’s about it. The discussion can get pretty interesting especially if you’re playing someone who has lived through the events in question.

Fun
This game is fun . . . if you like history. If you don’t like history, or you don’t like American history, you won’t like this game. Other members of my family won’t touch this with a ten-foot pole.

Final Thoughts
I really enjoy this game, but that’s about as subjective as you can get, considering I got this for Christmas of ’89, during my youth and played it with my dad until I left for college. The game suggests ages 14+ and I would agree. I’m pretty sure my dad went easy on me when I was a kid, and I've gone easy on young opponents. Why make them feel bad?

Unfortunately, this game has not held up over time. The last date on my copy is 1989, so it’s a bit past its prime. Most of Bush 41’s years, the Clinton years, George W’s years, and the Obama years are not represented. Statistics they quote can be woefully out of date. Even with those flaws, I still really enjoy it.

Like the review? Hate it? You can make your opinion known in the comments section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like old quiz games, it adds a whole layer to the game of trying to work out the right answer at the time the questions were written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Generic Pseudonym
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right there! I always like reading the "which state is the leading producer of such-and-such" questions and wondering if it's still true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff goodman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Dear jmganey,
I just bought this game to use in my classroom but I don't have the game rules/instruction sheet.
Do you know of a place I can get it? or, could you send it to my email?
2goodys4you@msn.com
Sincerely,
Jeff
A Great Teacher in the Making

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.