Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
off topic but you can also check out Wings of War (Glory) if you don't want to go the fantasy route

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both. X-Wing has more depth than Pirates, and the rules simply fit the theme about a thousand times better. Pirates really left me cold, but I really enjoy X-Wing.

With X-Wing, each ship has a number of possible pilots and upgrades, so it doesn't feel as constraining as the ships in Pirates. The structure of the turn, with its emphasis on pilot skill and simultaneous planning, makes for a more tense, more interesting play sequence. Plus, the models are simply 1000 times better, and that really does improve the entertainment value (at least for me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The games are fairly similar in some ways. You build a fleet of 2-6 ships to play a game. You select ships, many with special abilities, others with just basic stats, and then do some simple customization. You move around, shoot at your opponent, and then someone wins.

I think X-Wing is somewhat deeper, in two ways. First, Pirates always felt rather random to me, because of the way treasure was found. The winning condition was finding the most treasure, and while speed or firepower might win the day, so might finding an unexpected treasure trove. Second, X-Wing's movement is more constrained. That requires more planning on the part of the players.

Neither game is going to be as deep as Go or Chess: you are always at the mercy of the dice in combat, if nothing else. I can't tell you if X-Wing is enough deeper to make you happy, though. It might be worth trying to arrange a demo game with someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.