Subject: OMG I love this game but man is it hard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Krzych
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Well I have been dorking out for a while with the core set only. After finally beating Anduin solo I started ordering AP's. I have the Mirkwood set and Khazad Dum. I am however still trying to beat Escape from Dol Guldur solo with just one core set, I am not using the ap's until I get to each adventure....

yeah....

brutal

So I am more here to vent, I hate the fact that the monsters get to attack and defend while my poor allies (aka meat shields) and heroes have to decide to do either defend or attack (or hey we can sit undefended and take a ton of damage!) unless we have the UC card. Ahh well I suppose it models the never ending hordes of Saurons armies but man it is next to impossible. I guess I am going to try EFDG two handed, two decks by myself.

In closing I love this game and have a second core set on the way. I might have to experiment with OCTGN and another remote player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshua, Yes try two decks (two fisted). Works well, and adds card abilities that a single deck solo can't take advantage of! Good Gaming Fun! Still brutal though. The reason I like this game so well is that it is hard and a great solo challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EFDG solo with one core set is the most difficult challenge the game poses so far. If you look back to the earlier forums, you will find plenty of discussion including some decklists and successful session reports. But general consensus is that it takes perfect play and deckbuilding and a lot of luck to beat.So yeah, don't get stuck here unless doing incredibly difficult things is fun for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EFDG is a nightmare solo, but perfectly beatable with two players (or with one player playing two decks) with just the core set. You will probably need to do some deck building, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hawks
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never actually played Escape from Dol Guldur. There are just much better scenarios to play solo. I'd suggest you just skip it and move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, trying to beat Dol Guldur solo with just the Core Set is absolutely crazy.

And the worst part about it is, if you finally did it, you will know that you only won because of pure luck.

Just skip that and spend your time in a manner that is more fun.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you can see a session report about a solo Dol Guldur victory, but with a deck that uses everything available to date (minus Heirs of Numenor, as I do not have that expansion yet).

That deck has a fairly good chance to beat the scenario (though certainly not better than 50%, likely below that), but it still requires some luck here and there.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Krzych
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thanks for the votes of confidence My second core set arrived yesterday. I built two decks to attempt to beat Dol Guldur

Aragorn, Bereavor, Dunhere Threat = 30

Eowyn, Glorfindel, Theodred Threat = 29

3 Gandalfs in each deck

I then insured that no matter what I would have all three spheres in play.

I made pretty large decks (55 or so each) but I figured I would whittle them down if I was not getting decent pulls.

Dunhere was captured.

I got some lucky pulls of Gandalf at some very opportune bacon saving moments. Dropped my threat down as I was able to get the Map (gave it to Eowyn since I did not use her for combat, questing only)

The torch, which I was also able to get almost right away I gave to Theodred. I did not want to risk the jailor popping up. My threat was getting out of control very quickly. I used Gandalf to drop the threat and deciamte one of the Dol Guldur Beast Masters. I also got lucky with some Galhadrim's Greetings and was able to get the threat down further on in the game when it had climbed up.

I can't remember all the actions that took place but it was pretty damn cool when I beat it! Now it's on to "the Hunt for Gollum"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek A. K.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Glad you survived Dol Guldur!

It seems there has been a lot of talk about difficulty lately, so maybe FFG has some simpler scenarios up their sleeves for the new cycle. I, for one, am starting to like the challenges as I have been playing for a while now and feel I'm getting better at both play and deck building.

It's a tough balance with this game and unique: all the other LCGs are dueling games so there is no real example to draw from when reckoning a level of challenge for this cooperative game where we play "against the deck". Caleb and the team are doing a great job and excited for what's to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Krzych
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Yes, FFG is really doing a great job with it! The theme is awesome (I am a huge LOTR junky)and learning the synergy between cards is a lot of fun. The community here is great also! The cardgamedb.com site is great for building decks too!

I did not realize all the other LCG's are dueling games. I just picked up a used copy of the LCG Cthulhu game, it should be here next week.. Ahh well I will force a friend to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek A. K.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
To be more precise, they are dueling and A Game of Thrones has a four player (melee) competitive mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.