Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon
United States
Alexandria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to solicit some recommendations for 2p games that my wife and I can play while on vacation. They would need to be portable and not take up too much table space, as we will likely be playing in random cafes or even by the beach.

I tried Dominion, and will likely bring that again with just a sample if the Kingdom cards (I'm a compulsive completionist, so I've got all the expansions, even though I haven't played more than 10 games ever).
Many of the other games I've got have too many bits.
I've got Netrunner, unopened, but it looks like that might take up too much table space.
I thought of Tichu, but that's not really available right now.

Any thoughts? We're still exploring favored game mechanics, so any game type would be welcome. We have a bunch of iPad games, but I'm looking for something physical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maréchal de Camp
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Cribbage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cox
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive is fantastic for two, and pretty much indestructible - there's even a more compact version available to save on space...

Other good, compact games - Blokus Duo, Jaipur. If you can spare a little more table space (but really not much), I think San Juan is a superb game, which works really well for two.

There have been good things said about Hanabi for two, and also Plato 3000 but I can't comment on either as 2p games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the Kosmos two-player series are quite good and are pretty compact. Ingenious: Travel Edition is one game that we frequently take on trips to play on trains or planes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ Agro
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter
R

Both are just 16 Cards. Though they play pretty quick and love letter is better with more than 2.

Also, difficult to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Allein
Austria
Mödling
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi A great two player game. Small, fast, fun.

Rivals for Catan - Small box, variable play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First and foremost Jaipur, without a doubt. I've been told Morels is also good and has a similar feel to it.
I see you have Lost Cities, have you tried Battle Line? I like it much more but takes more table space.
If you and your partner enjoy "brutal outguessing", I also recommend Citadels with 2 (me and my gf love it this way).

For something on the lines of Tichu, try Haggis or Triumvirate. If you like traditional card games and somehow you've never given it a spin (can't imagine how), Gin Rummy is an entertaining way of using a deck of poker cards.
Another abstract title but completely different would be Hive: there is a portable version that is indeed very portable, otherwise the full game it's still fairly comfortable to bring along.

I don't know if it takes too much space for you, but Innovation is also a great game with 2, and very portable.

Other games you may consider (but take my word with a grain of salt, as I've never tried them) that come to mind:
- Biblios
- Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans (one of the sets)
- Jambo
- Yomi (you can take how many decks you want with you)
- Balloon Cup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 hive
Lost cities
Flapjacks and sasquatches
Blue moon
Coloretto
Eaten by zombies in cahoots
King of Tokyo could be repackaged to smaller
Same with race for the galaxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Hale
msg tools
mbmbmb
A couple of suggestions, first one that I have been playing recently is quick and everyone seems to enjoy is City Squareoff and I would also suggest Mr. Jack Pocket. One that my wife and i have enjoyed through the years but I am not sure if you can still get it is Mystery Rummy Case No.3 Jekyll & Hyde. If you want something quick and fast for airport or airplane play try Spot It.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Cantrell
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack Pocket is a fun compact game, we bring it along to most vacations.

I'll add a +1 for Hive, great abstract.

The Pocket Battles series has a ton of depth for a tiny box, Orcs vs Elves is my favorite but there's a few to choose from if the theme doesn't do it for you.

Space Hulk: Death Angel is a brutal co-op that can be played solo, I usually end up packing this for myself.

Onirim can be played co-op and solo as well.

And another +1 for Biblios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Hive

Further you should have a look at nestorgames assortment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like dice Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hughes
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Mr. Jack Pocket
+1 Hive (there is also Hive Pocket - same awesome game, more portable)
+1 Lost Cities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
+1 Jambo
+1 Race for the Galaxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Alexandria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that was fast! Thanks for the suggestions. I've got Hive, Lost Cities, San Juan and Haggis on the iPad, but I haven't learned em yet. I know it sounds counterintuitive not to want to play the iPad games, but my wife lives away this year, so we've already been playing a lot of games from afar. I'm looking for something face to face.

I need to look up some of the others. I'd been eyeing RftG already.

Re: repackaging King of Tokyo...does that play well 2p? I assumed the Tokyo spot was pointless for 2p games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Alexandria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Jaipur was the one I meant to say that was hard to find these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Alexandria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know things are relative, but I'm finding these small games are so cheap I may just have to buy a bunch to reach free shipping levels. I've got pocket battles, Biblios and Mr. Jack in my CSI cart right now and I haven't made it through the suggestion list yet. A bunch are out of stock, though.

Oh...and I finally figured out the point of geek gold...tips! Gotta get some gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Cantrell
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choices all! Sounds like a good vacation coming up to me. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larson
Hong Kong
Discovery Bay
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
To find your true identity within the will of Tze Yo Tzuh...that is the highest of all freedoms.
mbmbmbmb
I can share from experience that Biblios and Jaipur are a lot of fun, quick to learn and play, and invite strategic thinking. Plus, both games look good.

I can't speak firsthand about Jambo, but good friends of mine like it because while they're both competitive, Jambo let's them compete without too much tension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan takes up less table space than the Dominion games I have seen and is easy to transport:

Cheese Chasers is very small: about 40 tiles and one or two PocketMod rulebooks. It takes up about the same table space as San Juan. And it's free. It can play 1 or 2 players, and there are several different tilesets. If you don't like mice, you can go with Doctor Who or something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hgoed wrote:
Wow, that was fast! Thanks for the suggestions. I've got Hive, Lost Cities, San Juan and Haggis on the iPad, but I haven't learned em yet. I know it sounds counterintuitive not to want to play the iPad games, but my wife lives away this year, so we've already been playing a lot of games from afar. I'm looking for something face to face.

I need to look up some of the others. I'd been eyeing RftG already.

Re: repackaging King of Tokyo...does that play well 2p? I assumed the Tokyo spot was pointless for 2p games.

KOT works ok with two. We play that when in Tokyo on your turn you only get one point. Also with the expansion we have had a decent time with it as a two player. But still best as 4 player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Alexandria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Citadels...the game looks interesting but the poll on players shows 47% think its no good for two. Was the recommendation based on house rules of some sort?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Soto
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hgoed wrote:
Re: Citadels...the game looks interesting but the poll on players shows 47% think its no good for two. Was the recommendation based on house rules of some sort?

The game comes with rules for two players, which are a bit different than the normal game (players pick two roles). I think it becomes quite a deeper game, involving more calculation and mind reading, and it is still great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Alexandria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
San Juan takes up less table space than the Dominion games I have seen and is easy to transport:

Cheese Chasers is very small: about 40 tiles and one or two PocketMod rulebooks. It takes up about the same table space as San Juan. And it's free. It can play 1 or 2 players, and there are several different tilesets. If you don't like mice, you can go with Doctor Who or something else.

Gonna print out the Squirrel version. It'll remind her of our dogs who love to chase those and chipmunks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Alexandria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thor0298 wrote:

Flapjacks and sasquatches

Might have to get that just because I live in Paul Bunyan land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.