Subject: Help: must get expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart McIntyre
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure whether to get just the base set, or to also get couple of expansions too. Are there any must-gets (from a gameplay point of view).

Any opinions out there?

Stuart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing to remember is that the expansions are not kickstarter exclusive, you will be able to get them later on, its just that they are on special for the kickstarter.

So you can fork out more money with the kickstarter to save money on the expansions now, or if you are like me and are feeling the pinch in the wallet just opt for either the Survivor level or Survivor + expansions up to $300 total to get the two free expansions.

I'd recommend Survivor level anyway for the extra amount of free stuff you will get, plus the Kickstarter exclusive survivors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only 2 KS exclusive figures have 1 shot scenarios so there is a bit of content, so Survivor might be nice if you want to get it now.

One expansion that seems to be highly recommended is the Dragon one as it comes with 2 Boss Figure (Human/Dragon form). And 4 Dragon Armor kit for a price of $30. Compared to $40+ for the ones with armor kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From a gameplay point of view, I think the first one to get is The King.
It lets you continue the game after defeating The Watcher (the normal end of game guy).
The Sunstalker gives you an alternate opening and end game.
The rest give you alternate monsters to fight along the way, and alternate things to craft, but we don't have enough information to know which if any of them will be really game changing.

Also, I understand that the challenge scenarios are part of the main rulebook, so there's no need to get the survivor package unless you want the extra models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Reid
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you've got the money, bumping yourself up to Herald of Death (Pledge $300 total, regardless of reason, shipping, expansions, pinups, just giving extra money, doesn't matter.) to get the Lion Knight and the Man Hunter for free.

If you are going with the base game, I would probably recommend (in order of my personal excitement for them):

Core Set $100

Dragon King $30 (as stated, one of the best deals in the game, and offers an alternate 'starting' scenario for your campaign)

Dung Beetle Knight $25 (One of the best looking minis, and seems to have some very nice innovations tied to it)

The Lantern Festival $45 (Greatly lengthens the game, offering Watcher armor, and a few extra bosses)

Sunstalker $45 (Adds an entirely new campaign to the game)

Gorm OR Spidicules $40 (both are major game expansions that added armor sets to the game. Which to go with is based on your personal preference)

Flower Knight $15 (is $15)

This comes out to $300 total, which gets you the Manhunter and the Lion Knight expansions for free.

If you have to pay international shipping, you can drop either The Lantern Festival (extends the campaign) or Sunstalker (adds an extra campaign) to pay for it, and still hit the $300 mark for herald of death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Reid
msg tools
mbmbmb
tuathail wrote:
From a gameplay point of view, I think the first one to get is The King.
It lets you continue the game after defeating The Watcher (the normal end of game guy).
The Sunstalker gives you an alternate opening and end game.
The rest give you alternate monsters to fight along the way, and alternate things to craft, but we don't have enough information to know which if any of them will be really game changing.

Also, I understand that the challenge scenarios are part of the main rulebook, so there's no need to get the survivor package unless you want the extra models.

According to the kickstarter, some of the models/expansions come with extra challenges. There are surely some in the core set, but the KS exclusives still have their own.

Also, where did you actually hear they would be in the main rules? I've assumed as much, but never actually saw that posted anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
halfwing wrote:
According to the kickstarter, some of the models/expansions come with extra challenges. There are surely some in the core set, but the KS exclusives still have their own.

Also, where did you actually hear they would be in the main rules? I've assumed as much, but never actually saw that posted anywhere.

Update #18
Quote:
...If we hit 420k The Adam & Anna kickstarter exclusives are getting an upgrade! A one shot challenge scenario will be added to the rulebook...

I don't recall if he said otherwise about any of the other challenge scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
halfwing wrote:

Gorm OR Spidicules $40 (both are major game expansions that added armor sets to the game. Which to go with is based on your personal preference)

Just like to add Gorm has a free Pin-up compared to Spidicule

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Just like to add Gorm has a free Pin-up compared to Spidicule

Be sure to get a good shot of the Gorm and the inside, back portion of it's mouth before purchasing it, else you'll be in for a surprise.

(Edited to be more clear)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sunstrider has an alternate way to start the game as well as progression through a culture's "growth".

"The King" bundle, is flat-out, a pure extension of the base campaign, and is apparently substantial.

Beyond that, each big-box monster, Dragon, Grom, Spidicules, etc... all have new settlement events and locations, making them semi-campaign extenders.

Finally Flower-Knight, Lion King's Court, etc add small amounts to the possible events, innovations, etc...

So I would say the best PURE gameplay expansions have been pitched as being The King, and Sunstrider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
halfwing wrote:

The Lantern Festival $45 (Greatly lengthens the game, offering Watcher armor, and a few extra bosses)

Where would one find info on this?
I missed this somehow.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
halfwing wrote:

Where would one find info on this?
I missed this somehow.
Thanks
]
The last gameplay upgrade expansion at $1M. He calls it The Lantern Festival Expansion at one part of the image, and The King Expansion at another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ok.
Now I see it
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StuartMc wrote:
I'm not sure whether to get just the base set, or to also get couple of expansions too.

I'm getting the base game ($100) + Dragon King expansion ($30).

I'm thinking that should be "enough", but could see myself adding Spidicules and/or SunStalker expansions. The Gorm & King are interesting, but not quite what I'm looking for.

The KS pricing is very good, so if you like what you see, then you should probably just get it rather than dealing with extra cost and potential delay / hassle at a later date. If you're not sure, then wait it out. In my case, I'm gambling on the base and the one expansion, and waiting on the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get them all.... Only $420

$155.00 Survivor Box
$ 45.00 Lantern Festival
$ 45.00 Sun Stalker
$ 40.00 Gorm
$ 40.00 Spidicules
$ 30.00 Dragon King
$ 25.00 Lion God
$ 25.00 Beetle Knight
$ 15.00 Flower Knight
$420.00

$ 25.00 Lion Knight - Free for +$300
$ 20.00 Man Hunter - Free for +$300

I considered just going with Lantern Festival, Dragon King and the Lion god but figured what the hell... It's only a financial nightmare

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im thinking of getting some of the pinups for game play purposes.

The Dragon Sacrifice as someone to save?
The Silk Assassin as an enemy.
Sundancer as an enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
binary sunrise

Christiansburg
Virginia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If we don't get the exclusives now, what do you think the resale market will be later on?

For example, the armor packs where you get 20 figures for $50, or even anna and adam.

Is it worth it to focus on those now, and wait on the characters that are close to the MSRP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a craps shoot.

Knowing that this game is not going through normal retail channels leads me to think the production run will be limited.

That being said one needs to beware on speculating... I am still sitting on a couple NIB SpaceHulk games I thought would be worth much more than they are now. (Just might have to sell them though at a lower rate to pay for KD:M)

How collectible do you think the pin ups and special characters will become?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the pinups will be available with the exception of
Holiday Nico and Candy/ Cola
I get the impression they are KS only.

As are the 2 promo characters.

Everything else I would think will be available down the road.
That said, will you get able to purchase a 20 pack of armor kits as a set, much less at that price, I doubt it.
They would most likely be sold in 4 count kits. 2 male, 2 female.
As this is how most will be purchased.
Not sure there will be a big enough market to warrant them making such huge packs.

And every last expansion or item on the KS seems to be discounted between 20-50%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Tower
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to let you know, the armor kits will not be available individually outside of the game/expansions. That is a special KS thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
binarysunrise wrote:
If we don't get the exclusives now, what do you think the resale market will be later on?

It's always hard to tell, which is why it's usually best to just get what you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Poots
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
If your in doubt and still want to support the project please just pledge for the base set. It has a huge amount of gameplay and hobby content.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was considering get all the options, which in my case, due I live in Spain will be $465.

But here, in Spain, if customs get the package I'll need to pay like $40-100 more. So Adam,, any chance you can label the order as a gift so maybe I don't need to pay that?.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter lustig
msg tools
yeah, in germany we gotta pay another 19% taxes on that too! :/ god damnit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm unclear as to what the armor kits are for. Are those the only way to customize figures with those armor pieces or do those armor pieces come with other expansions etc and this is just a way of getting more. Are the extra Rmor pieces just a way of customizing figs to your taste?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.