United States
Kirkland
Wa
flag msg tools
I threw a boomerang a few years ago...
badge
I now live in constant fear.
mbmbmbmbmb
The stun ability has you rolling a blue die. If it hits, I understand that it stuns...

But does it also cause 1 damage for that hit?

For CF Tactic Chips...If I hit CF level 1, my Champion activates. But if my opponent hasn't hit level 1 yet, they get my tactic chip, correct?

Just wanted to make sure we understood that rule accurately.

Fantastic game. Played last night. Really close game too! Atlantis beat Xanadu, but it was really down to the wire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Tsara wrote:
The stun ability has you rolling a blue die. If it hits, I understand that it stuns...

But does it also cause 1 damage for that hit?

No damage - the "hit" means the stun was successful.

Tsara wrote:
For CF Tactic Chips...If I hit CF level 1, my Champion activates. But if my opponent hasn't hit level 1 yet, they get my tactic chip, correct?

Correct - it's the "catch-up" mechanic for the player behind in CF. Pg 7 - you get the "Arena Unlock" (i.e., Champion activation) - the person with the lower CF gets the CF Reward Tactic (i.e., the chip).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Delta
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that if both players have the same CF (after calculating ALL CF points!), the tie goes to the person who unlocked the CF chip, and that the elected arena gladiator (level 4 CF) is ALWAYS your own. You never give this to the enemy!

-Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolf Buchner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. Remember to plan ahead with crowd favor! One of the nice things is that you can manipulate crowd favor in order to make sure that you get the chips.

For example, with Xanadu or Atlantis you can push/pull your opponent onto the crowd favor stones, or you can intentionally "hang" a unit. This can be a very effective to make sure that you're getting all the white chips.

On the other hand, sometimes you want your opponent to get the white favor chips. If you keep putting white chips into their overflow area then those chips will move to the deployment choice spots and thus they won't be drawing new gladiators. It's a very risky gamble, but sometimes you can get a quick unit advantage this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said Redmond! Thumbs for that post! You are the first to discuss the gladiator count advantage if you push the Crowd Favor hard. When to make this push is the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Delta
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha. I can confirm that this tactic is EXTREMELY frustrating to be on the pointy end of! Having your deployment area flooded by tactics is a sticky situation indeed. The more tactics the enemy has, the faster you're free to move up the crowd favor, and thus, the more tactics you earn to give them!

-Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geijuutsuka wrote:
Haha. I can confirm that this tactic is EXTREMELY frustrating to be on the pointy end of! Having your deployment area flooded by tactics is a sticky situation indeed. The more tactics the enemy has, the faster you're free to move up the crowd favor, and thus, the more tactics you earn to give them!

Is this the "Tactic Lock" situation you mentioned when introducing the revised rules?

Is it no longer viable to screw with your opponent in this way, now that CF Tactic chips have their own zone on the map and don't enter the City chip area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Delta
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, indeed Chris. The new rules solve this issue outright. Having a separate area for CF chips, and being able to play a tactic AND gladiator in the same turn completely eliminate this issue. We had rules similar to these in early versions of the game, but there was still a lot of work to do. It's great to see that the old rule-set actually works better with the new game mechanics we've designed since then. It also hooks RIGHT into the Rise of Rome expansion rules...

So let it be known, CF Tactic locking is no more!

Thanks to everyone for your insight/examples with this issue!

-Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.